Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
I can't believe that Apple would force this on us. Finder HAS to be there. Trash HAS to be there. Why does a new feature that I never needed in any previous OS releases being forced into my dock? I like customising my Mac, I want it to be perfect. This is why I don't appreciate Apple forcing this rubbish decision on me. Hope we get the option in later builds.

sux2beyou

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources

find DockMenus.plist

go to the end of that file, and you will see something named springboard.
Put this code in there.

Code:
<dict>
	<key>command</key>
	<integer>1004</integer>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>REMOVE_FROM_DOCK</string>
</dict>

the end of the file should look like this:
Code:
	<key>springboard</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>command</key>
			<integer>1000</integer>
			<key>name</key>
			<string>OPEN</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>command</key>
			<integer>1004</integer>
			<key>name</key>
			<string>REMOVE_FROM_DOCK</string>
		</dict>
	</array>

you'll now have a remove from dock option.

This might cause lots of other issue, proceed at your own risk.

Edit:
it looks like it comes back after you log back in. but you'll have an option to remove it at least

Last edited:

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I can't believe that Apple would force this on us. Finder HAS to be there. Trash HAS to be there. Why does a new feature that I never needed in any previous OS releases being forced into my dock? I like customising my Mac, I want it to be perfect. This is why I don't appreciate Apple forcing this rubbish decision on me. Hope we get the option in later builds.

File a bug report. (Yes you can file reports about undesirable behavior even if it's not technically a bug).

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Agreed. Launchpad is definitely not something i need to use. In fact, i'll only use it to remind myself of apps i have from time to time. I use Alfred to launch all of my apps.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Launchpad is very useful for your average user. And I think they are right to not be able remove it by dragging invade someone accidentally removes it and can't find it.

That being said they should have a way to do it. Like in preferences or something.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
Big Deal

Wow you guys are really making a big deal of this. Take a big step back. Are you hearing yourself. Its a square icon about the size of your thumb depending on the side of your screen and your finger. If you want to get rid of it so badly, just take a sticky note and cut it up to make i exactly the same size as the icon on your screen and paste it on. PROBLEM SOLVED!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Wow you guys are really making a big deal of this. Take a big step back. Are you hearing yourself. Its a square icon about the size of your thumb depending on the side of your screen and your finger. If you want to get rid of it so badly, just take a sticky note and cut it up to make i exactly the same size as the icon on your screen and paste it on. PROBLEM SOLVED!

You're a lot of help. Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
It's my computer. I want my Dock the way I want it, not the way Steve Jobs wants it.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I have 17 things in my Dock in SL, including the Finder and the Trash. I use those things all the time, and I do not use more apps than that. If occasionally I want to launch something that I rarely use, such as Address Book or Keynote, I will type it in Spotlight. I don't see the point of Launchpad. I don't want to have so many apps that I need an application to keep track of them.

Activating Launchpad from the Dock is a stupid idea, since you can already activate it with a gesture, or you could even assign a hot corner to it. So then what's the point of it still being in the Dock? Is Apple afraid that people won't like it, remove it, and then forget about it forever?

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
File a bug report. (Yes you can file reports about undesirable behavior even if it's not technically a bug).

+1, file a bug report.

To me i only have finder and the trash in my dock on SL, and anther app in the dock would not be welcome.

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a

Or just deal with it ..... its a Beta

kLy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
Nice tip :) But still no workaround for making this removal persistent across logouts?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The other thing to consider is that they might have purposely made it unremovable just in the betas so that people are more likely to try (and therefore test) the feature.

rd184

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
If you're using Preview 2, just right-click it and select "Remove from Dock". I did it but i want my Launchpad Back =(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.