Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellagio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Hi

Have had this issue since I bought my atv2 two weeks ago

I can stream my photos, my personal movies, my music from itunes on my mac ( 10.6.6) and itunes 10.1.2 but cannot play the rented movies I have purchased via itunes on the apple tv--I keep getting the "error occurred loading this content"

I have contacted apple support who suggested contacting my isp who in turn suggested I contact my wireless modem manufacturer

I am using a linksys cisco wag 160 n modem-- I have opened up all the ports apple suggests

I have contacted my isp and requested they open all the necessary ports required by itunes 10.1.2

The problem is still occurring--what do I next to play my rented ( and paid for) movies?

Thanks for any help

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I'm getting the same error, the error shows up on the TV and in iTunes on my MacBook after I select the Airplay Icon in iTunes and select Apple TV. If I try to select my MacBook on the Apple TV, the screen blinks black and goes back to the main menu.

I just got a new MacBook, I had no problems with my old one. Home Sharing is on, is there something else I am not doing to setup the new computer to work with the Apple TV?

nyctravis

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I just switched from a PC to Mac and have transferred my entire library over. Everything is working fine except I can't seem to stream my movies to the ATV. I can stream music just fine without problems. But every time I try to stream a movie over to ATV I get "an error occurred loading this content" message. I can play the movie just fine in iTunes. Any thoughts/help/advice?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Same issue here. Apple is probably blocking iTunes content from jailbroken ATV2's. They did it with iBooks on iOS.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Same issue here. Apple is probably blocking iTunes content from jailbroken ATV2's. They did it with iBooks on iOS.

Mine is not jailbroken, it was working fine with my old MacBook, but still have not got it working with my new one.

criticalb

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Glad it's not just me. My ATV is not jailbroken. 3 days ago everything was working fine on my 2010 MBP. Thursday I picked up one of the new MBPs, transferred all my library and settings to the new drive, but Movies and TV won't play. If I try to browse my library on the ATV using home sharing, it doesn't load anything. If I try to send a video to the ATV from itunes, I get the error message. Music seems to stream fine from iTunes to ATV, but I can't send video. And by video I mean actual, purchased videos from Apple, so no DRM issues.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Glad it's not just me. My ATV is not jailbroken. 3 days ago everything was working fine on my 2010 MBP. Thursday I picked up one of the new MBPs, transferred all my library and settings to the new drive, but Movies and TV won't play. If I try to browse my library on the ATV using home sharing, it doesn't load anything. If I try to send a video to the ATV from itunes, I get the error message. Music seems to stream fine from iTunes to ATV, but I can't send video. And by video I mean actual, purchased videos from Apple, so no DRM issues.

I've tried everything, and searched everywhere, I can't find an answer either.

At least if I sync the movies to my iPad, they will play through airplay that way.

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I am having the exact same problem on all 3 of my apple tv 2's. Just picked up a new MBP and plugged in drive with my itunes library on it. All Apple tv's see my library but either I get the spinning wheel of death loading or an error no movies exist. Plays just fine in Itunes. Grrrrr. Driving me bonkers. Kids are very upset. No access to any of "their" movies.

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
We are way beyond the simple tricks like that. Every thing has been tried,
that I know to do anyway

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
We are way beyond the simple tricks like that. Every thing has been tried,
that I know to do anyway

Yeah, I can't imagine what the issue is. It seems to be a problem with the new MacBook, or a problem you get after transferring the library. But I have no idea.

criticalb

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Hey all - found a fix that worked for me at least:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451

I suspected transferring the library to the new laptop was a problem so I tried this article on rebuilding the library an it worked. My library is about 250 GB so it took about 10 minutes once the process started.

Hope this helps.

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Tried the rebuild of the library but still not working. I am so beside myself right now. My brain might explode. :confused:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Tried the rebuild of the library but still not working. I am so beside myself right now. My brain might explode. :confused:

I know how you feel, its strange that didn't fix it when it worked for me and criticalb.

I did have to re-add all my apps though, the had to download updates for over 150 of just over 200 apps. Thought this was weird, but oh well.

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Airplay is also messed up. I can airplay my music from the Mbp to apple tv but not movies. I get an error message

bellagio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
still can't view movies

Hi
Since posting this thread I have contacted the modem manufacturer--am using a cisco wag160n and have opened up all the ports apple suggests
we have even today connected the atv2 directly via ethernet and still getting same error message
we even tried a different modem and still the same error message
we are in australia and do not have any jailbroken apple items so we are at a loss what the issue is
apple support have no idea either
so if it's not the modem, the isp or the appletv2 itself ( we exchanged our apple tv2 at the Genius bar at the apple shop for a new one to ensure it wasn't a faulty atv2) what exactly is it???
Cheers

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Finally was able to rebuild the library from scratch and fix the issue. What a nightmare. My whole weekend was obssessed with trying to figure this out. Kids are happy now. I swear when I finally saw the movies showing up on the Apple Tv I jumped 15ft into the air. My wife was laughing so hard as I ran around the house sceaming as if I had won the lotto :D

nyctravis

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Ha! I spent my entire weekend rebuilding the library as well, and it also worked. I did a dance too when I got the movies to show on the ATV. What I still have yet to do is rebuilding my playlists, etc. which I'm dreading...

maw4bc

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Huge pain in the A$$ to do this. Majority of the stuff I got from torrents (music videos) I will have to redo.....argghhhh.

Anyways, thanks for whoever figured out this fix.

filthysambo

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
I spoke too soon, its still bost!! Video streams fine from my iPad and iPhone, Im having to load it from my mac to my iphone and stream it from there. Nightmare!

maw4bc

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Is there any word from Apple about this problem? It seems to be happening to everyone with a new MBP

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Spoke too soon myself as well. It is definitely a MBP 2011 issue. Mac mini works fawlessly. Hoping the new itunes software I am about to install has a fix.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.