Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBeefman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
EDIT: SOLVED. I FIXED ERROR (6) BY DISABLING ALL OF MY SECURITY (TEMPORARILY) UNTIL ITUNES RESTORED IT. FOR THOSE USING OPENDNS, MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE THAT TOO.
EDIT 2: THE SECURITY BLOCKING ITUNES ALL OF A SUDDEN WAS MY ZONEALARM FIREWALL.

yoooooooooooo

iPod Touch, 8GB Second Generation (2G); NOT Jailbroken

A couple of days ago, I backed up my iPod touch and noticed that all of my songs were gone. My apps will still in place though.

My iPod touch syncs songs manually. So when I plugged it into iTunes, all of my songs were still there (as I have it set to manually manage music). I clicked sync, and it sync'd. But the songs were not copied.

So I decided to restore my iPod. When restoring, the progress bar was stuck at a very low level. I waited 40 minutes for it to go up (no I don't have erectile dysfunction) but it wouldn't. So I took the cord out while it was "restoring."

I tried restoring it again but ever since then I've been getting this error:

"The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)." My iPod has been stuck in recovery mode for a long time. It has the iTunes logo with the USB thing. iTunes recognizes it every time. But I still get that error...

The '(6)' has always been the error number. I've Google'd a lot today and have tried many solutions. I have tried:

1. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275
2. Restoring manually with the 4.2.1 (shift+click restore and selecting). But when I do that, instead of giving me the (6) error, it instead tells me that the .IPSW file is corrupt

I THINK I have put my iPod into DFU mode. I hold down the power and home button for 10 seconds, and after 10 seconds, let go of power while still holding on to home. I don't know how long to hold on to the home button for, so I go for 30 seconds. Rest assured, my screen goes black and iTunes says that my iPod is detected in recovery mode needs to be restored. But even in recovery mode, it will still give that message. So for some reason I think I'm doing it wrong. Whenever iTunes gives me that same error, my iPod screen will go back to the recovery one (with the iTunes logo with the USB cable pointing at it).

I was hoping you guys could help me. I'm lost. I've tried restarting my computer. I've tried re-installing iTunes. No luck, no luck, no luck. And yes, I have limited warranty.

Thank you to anyone who reads this whole thing. I hope this thread helps other people too.

Last edited:

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jailbreaking never causes restore issues; If you follow the instructions correctly.

Try using iReb:
http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow

Instead of restoring to a custom firmware as you seem to not want to do, connect your iPod to iTunes and shift-click the standard restore button. Get your firmware here:
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

theBeefman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jailbreaking never causes restore issues; If you follow the instructions correctly.

Try using iReb:

Instead of restoring to a custom firmware as you seem to not want to do, connect your iPod to iTunes and shift-click the standard restore button. Get your firmware here:

My iPod is not jailbroken and never has been. :p
Using shift-click on the standard restore button is what I have done, and have already tried restoring with ipsw for iPod 2G; 4.2.1. I'm sorry for any misunderstandings if I wasn't clear though.

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
My iPod is not jailbroken and never has been. :p
Using shift-click on the standard restore button is what I have done, and have already tried restoring with ipsw for iPod 2G; 4.2.1. I'm sorry for any misunderstandings if I wasn't clear though.

I didn't say that it WAS jailbroken.

Please follow the instructions I gave you, and tell me the results.

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
In-case I wasn't clear enough on the steps:

Download iReb.
Run it with the provided instructions on your ipt2g.
Once the snowflake icon appears on your iPod, restore it in iTunes with the ipsw from the felixbruns website.

pvine12

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Ipod touch help please

HI GUYS

I bought this IPOD Touch 8gb for my son for christmas. I downloaded songs from ITunes as well as photos one time and that is all I have been able to do. When I plug it into Itunes it tells me to RESTORE it which I have done more than 10times and it keeps coming up with this error...

"There was a problem downloading the software for the ipod, "Ipod". The network connection timed out.
Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connections is active, or try again later".

I am also not too great on settings etc for my laptop so have no idea what that all means. I can't even use itunes properly. But I desperately need this sorted as my 12yr old son thinks he got a "dumb christmas present"..!!:(:eek:

When I unplug the ipod from my laptop the picture showing the USB connecting to ITunes stays on the screen and I cannot even get into the ipod.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELPPP MEEEE

Last edited:

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
HI GUYS

I bought this IPOD Touch 8gb for my son for christmas. I downloaded songs from ITunes as well as photos one time and that is all I have been able to do. When I plug it into Itunes it tells me to RESTORE it which I have done more than 10times and it keeps coming up with this error...

"There was a problem downloading the software for the ipod, "Ipod". The network connection timed out.
Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connections is active, or try again later".

I am also not too great on settings etc for my laptop so have no idea what that all means. I can't even use itunes properly. But I desperately need this sorted as my 12yr old son thinks he got a "dumb christmas present"..!!:(:eek:

When I unplug the ipod from my laptop the picture showing the USB connecting to ITunes stays on the screen and I cannot even get into the ipod.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELPPP MEEEE

First of all, while it's of little significance really, what generation iPod? i.e., does it have a camera?

Okay, try doing what I suggested to the OP. Download iReb and follow the instructions it gives you. Then download the IPSW file from felixbruns.

theBeefman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010

Try using iReb:

My mistake playa. I obviously misread what you originally meant. I thought you assumed it was jailbroken or something.

I tried your solution. I installed iReb and it helped me put my iPod into DFU mode. After my iPod was confirmed to go into DFU via iReb, I tried to backup with iPod2G Firmware 4.2.1. Same thing happened: I got the same error message ("The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).")

I'm willing to jailbreak or doing whatever else is required now to get this **** working. Thank you for your reply, by the way.

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
My mistake playa. I obviously misread what you originally meant. I thought you assumed it was jailbroken or something.

I tried your solution. I installed iReb and it helped me put my iPod into DFU mode. After my iPod was confirmed to go into DFU via iReb, I tried to backup with iPod2G Firmware 4.2.1. Same thing happened: I got the same error message ("The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).")

I'm willing to jailbreak or doing whatever else is required now to get this **** working. Thank you for your reply, by the way.

Did you just put it into DFU, or did you get the snowflake?

theBeefman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I put it into DFU with the help of iReb.

iReb displayed this message:

"Your device is now in a PWNED DFU state (black screen).

You may now launch iTunes and do SHIFT + Restore to restore to Custom Firmware.

Note: If you get Error 2003 in iTunes after Extracting,
Just unplug/replug it in and do it again."

What I did was SHIFT + Restore to iPod 2G 4.2.1. But I still got the same error. I'm willing to do anything else.

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010

Try Redsn0w.
http://www.quickpwn.com/redsn0w

nukem170

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
Someone said this in a different forum and helped someone who had the error 6.

DFU mode will allow you to avoid any non-hardware related issues.

To put into DFU Mode connect to your computer and open iTunes. Let it do its business, and now: Hold the home and power buttons till it turns off. Keep holding home but let go of the power button. Hold home till iTunes comes up with it in recovery mode, but the screen remains black.

Press option on your computer, and click restore. It will now allow you to find the IPSW file you are looking for. If it downloaded correctly it will be in: ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates and will be called "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw" Select that one, and run that.

It should work this time. You should have no errors. This mode totally disconnects iTunes from any information about the drive. It is basically... God mode for the iPod. It's the BIOS of the iPhone really, and the entire OS of the touch is offline so it can't throw an error. It just rewrites over the old one. Basically like reinstalling Windows or Mac OS X. The Hard Drive has no control.

theBeefman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I put the iPod into DFU again through Snowbreeze.
Snowbreeze created the custom 4.2.1 firmware.
I opened iTunes and tried to restore my iPod with that custom IPSW.

I got "The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)."

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010

Try using iReb to force the iPod out of recovery. You'll need to install a program to do it, but it should download it for you.

Whatever happens to the iPod after that, restore it in iTunes with the Apple IPSW you got from Felixbruns.

theBeefman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010

Try using iReb to force the iPod out of recovery. You'll need to install a program to do it, but it should download it for you.

Whatever happens to the iPod after that, restore it in iTunes with the Apple IPSW you got from Felixbruns.

It didn't have me download anything :( I think the problem may be that it has nothing to restore my iPod back into. I remember disconnecting my iPod when I originally restored it (it was working) but I took the power cord out after it was stuck at a very low progress bar percentage. Could this be why?

But yeah, I clicked it to force my iPod out of recovery. It ran, rebooted my iPod, but it's still in recovery. I then tried to SHIFT+Restore with the 4.2.1. Still error 6.

Oh and, if this helps by any chance:

All this time, whenever I restore, my iPod summary reads as this:
Name: iPod
Capacity: N/A
Software Version: N/A
Serial Number: N/A

EDIT: I disabled all of my security and it restored. Thank you very much for your time and help, Timeraner. :)

Last edited:

yungtop

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
i have been having the same problem except it has been error (9) and a few others instead of (6) for me. exactly how did you fix it (what security settings did you change) and if anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated. i have been trying to restore it using itunes for hours and have googled and youtubed it many times and i have yet to find an answer that has helped at all. im willing and have tried to jailbreak it (mine is currently unjailbroken and has never been jailbroken) using blackra1n to fix the issue but it didnt work. ive held the power and menu buttons in every combination of seconds and sequences imaginable and hopefully someone can help. please respond ASAP.

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
i have been having the same problem except it has been error (9) and a few others instead of (6) for me. exactly how did you fix it (what security settings did you change) and if anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated. i have been trying to restore it using itunes for hours and have googled and youtubed it many times and i have yet to find an answer that has helped at all. im willing and have tried to jailbreak it (mine is currently unjailbroken and has never been jailbroken) using blackra1n to fix the issue but it didnt work. ive held the power and menu buttons in every combination of seconds and sequences imaginable and hopefully someone can help. please respond ASAP.

What generation/capacity is your iPod touch, and what virus protection/security firewalls do you use? theBeefman was able to restore after disabling ZoneAlarm. Also, what does your iPod display after allowing it to charge for at least 1 hour and then resetting with home/power?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.