Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
cali
any suggestions regarding buying a 12in. ibook g4 with a moniter for in home work? where to get the moniter and what type for under $200? thanks

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
nela said:
any suggestions regarding buying a 12in. ibook g4 with a moniter for in home work? where to get the moniter and what type for under $200? thanks

i use my ibook with an external vga all the time and find it swell setup

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I posted this on another thread but I will repeast it here because it seems appropriate. Beware! Even with the hack installed you will still face the problem of having the graphics memory split 16MB for laptop display and 16MB for external display. The powerbook has been getting a lot of heat lately for not having updates and not being a good value. However, the fact of the matter is..... if you are going to be using an external monitor most of the time go with the powerbook. It will support clamshell mode (ability to use laptop while closed with all graphics memory dedicated to external display) and you can select whatever resolution you monitor supports. My advice would be to wait and see if there are powerbook updates at MWSF and go with a 12" PB. Just my opinion tho.

I must say tho. The 12" iBook with memory upgraded is one heck of a machine. If you do not NEED to output to your monitor at a resolution higher than 1024x768 then go with the iBook. Best of luck in your decision :)

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
Chrispy said:
I posted this on another thread but I will repeast it here because it seems appropriate. Beware! Even with the hack installed you will still face the problem of having the graphics memory split 16MB for laptop display and 16MB for external display.

unless you want to play games on 2 monitors that is hardly an issue ..

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Mertzen said:
unless you want to play games on 2 monitors that is hardly an issue ..

The problem with having the graphics memory split is there is no way to dedicate all 32MB to the external monitor. This will cause slowdowns in the performace of Panther in features like expose. But yes... unless you plan to play games or do heavy graphics work this will not be a problem. Just be aware that if you set your external monitor to a high resolution you will experience slowdowns.

nela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
cali
a couple more questions

i want a moniter so i can have the 12in ibook, but then work with graphics on a bigger screen at my desk. Are there any major problems with connected the ibook to an external moniter that I should be aware of? Is there a type of moniter I should be looking for?

thanks

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
nela said:
i want a moniter so i can have the 12in ibook, but then work with graphics on a bigger screen at my desk. Are there any major problems with connected the ibook to an external moniter that I should be aware of? Is there a type of moniter I should be looking for?

thanks

Here is what I found works for what you sound like you want to do. I installed the monitor spanning hack and then set the external display at the primary display so the bar at the top displayed on that screen. If you don't need the other screen just turn the brightness all the way down on the laptop LCD. Boom you have an external monitor. As I warned of above, the downfall to doing this is you will only have 16MB of graphics memory to work with. On a 17" monitor or higher (with a resolution of 1280x1024 and up) you will notice graphical slowdowns. If you graphics work is not intense and you are not working with video then you should be ok. As I am sure you have read in other threads the only real separation between the iBook and Powerbook right now is the external monitor issue and the powerbook has twice the GPU memory. Hopefully that gives you something to chew on for awhile ;)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Chrispy said:
Here is what I found works for what you sound like you want to do. I installed the monitor spanning hack and then set the external display at the primary display so the bar at the top displayed on that screen. If you don't need the other screen just turn the brightness all the way down on the laptop LCD. Boom you have an external monitor. As I warned of above, the downfall to doing this is you will only have 16MB of graphics memory to work with. On a 17" monitor or higher (with a resolution of 1280x1024 and up) you will notice graphical slowdowns. If you graphics work is not intense and you are not working with video then you should be ok. As I am sure you have read in other threads the only real separation between the iBook and Powerbook right now is the external monitor issue and the powerbook has twice the GPU memory. Hopefully that gives you something to chew on for awhile ;)

Just remember that installing the hack will void your warranty.

If that's not an issue, then by all means go ahead and do it.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
absolut_mac said:
Just remember that installing the hack will void your warranty.

If that's not an issue, then by all means go ahead and do it.

From what I was reading, there's no hardware modification (I haven't done it yet) But is there a way to undo the hack, incase I need to use the warranty?
Nick

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
nichos said:
From what I was reading, there's no hardware modification (I haven't done it yet) But is there a way to undo the hack, incase I need to use the warranty?
Nick

True, a firmware hack doesn't change the hardware, but as I haven't done it, I'm not sure where you'd be able to find the firmware to flash it back to Apple specs.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
The hack doesn't void the warranty. If 16MB doesn't bother you, or if you want to run 1024x768 on both monitor mirrored, the iBook plus an external monitor is fine. You can get some good deals at Newegg.com or go to your local CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc. and see if there are any good deals or rebates. I got a 19" monitor at Fry's for about $120 after tax. It's nice too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.