Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
When matey was opening windows ("not Windows") he opened iCal.

There's now a year tab. It looks like the calendar sidebar is gone and there's now a drop down like the iPad version.

Attachments

• Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event October 2010.jpg
    Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event October 2010.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 649

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Nice pick-up! I personally think it looks much cleaner and I use multiple calendars so that little button on the top left seems like it opens the ol' sidebar. I hope more apps turn out like this, truly nice design now.

TheAngryKiwi

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Looks really nice! Good on you, OP, for actually taking the time to notice the subtle changes even at this early stage. A nice change from "Waaaaa Lion's just iOS stuff and nothing else" despite the fact it's not due out for another year and we got shown a tiny portion of its features.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Can you post a screen-grab or screen-shot of the "new" mail? As I haven't seen it yet.
On the Apple site lion preview of "Mission Control" it looks exactly the same as 10.6

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Can you post a screen-grab or screen-shot of the "new" mail? As I haven't seen it yet.
On the Apple site lion preview of "Mission Control" it looks exactly the same as 10.6

It does look pretty similar. From Appleinsider:

oslion-101021-2.png

Also a better iCal comparison:

oslion-101021-1.png

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So less color in Mail. :rolleyes: Not sure I like that trend (I edited my iTunes to put back the colors, then did something and lost the colors again, and haven't bothered going back and putting them back in again, but I also don't use iTunes very often). Oh well, guess I'll just have to get used to them or skin them.

jW

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I always liked - and still do like - the "old" mail app icons, just because they have colour. The "new" icons look plain, simple (guess who's idea that was - SJ) and surprisingly out-of-date; the "old" icons look much more slick, with the nice colour icons and the flat - shiny, not old - dull look.

They are supposed to be bringing thing "Back to the Mac", the springboard on iOS has colourful icons - but then again the mail app has basically no colour to it.

Mac OS X 10.7 lion's colour scheme is turning out to be pretty shocking. (bad)

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I read something about there being a "free time" view or something like that in Lion's revised iCal. Can anyone with the dev preview post screens or explain the feature? :rolleyes:

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I read something about there being a "free time" view or something like that in Lion's revised iCal. Can anyone with the dev preview post screens or explain the feature? :rolleyes:

I looked around the app and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone else will have better luck?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009

It's there, but I am not quite sure how it works. Something to do with invited people for a certain event. Seems clearly targeted at business users so I am not sure I care to try to figure it out.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
So does iCal finally support different time zones for beginnings and ends so I can easily enter in flights without having to do lots of weird stuff?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Lion iCal disappearing popover is no substitute for the always-on list of calendars

… that little button on the top left seems like it opens the ol' sidebar …

It presents, only briefly, a popover that obscures part of the calendar before disappearing.

The disappearing shallow popover requiring multiple clicks is, for some users, a totally unacceptable substitute for the always-on full-height list of calendars that required no click.

Cross reference

Lion iCal any good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.