Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Hello!

I'm trying to do a video chat through ichat and the other person can't hear me though she can see me just fine. I'm doing this through OS 10.4.9, not XP.

It's not a bandwidth issue because I switched from wifi to a direct connection with my cable modem and the stats say I'm running around 100% on audio.

I tried recording sound on garage band, but it picks up no sound.

In system preferences the sound input is set on "internal microphone/built-in," the Input volume is on max, but the Input level meter does not move at all.

All this leads me to suspect hardware issues, but I'm hoping there's some preference I'm missing or something. Any direction in this would be most appreciated!

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
I had this happen last week. I actually just "flicked" the plastic plastic bezel near the microphone and that seemed to jolt it back to life. You might try that.

Yohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I had this happen last week. I actually just "flicked" the plastic plastic bezel near the microphone and that seemed to jolt it back to life. You might try that.

I'm not sure I'm doing what you did(it hurts! :)), but when I hit the mic area, I do get a brief reading, but just the sound of me smacking it, it doesn't snap back to working though. Very interesting.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
i just had my imac logic board replaced by apple and i just realized (i after trying to do a video chat with someone today) that they broke my internal mic..people can see just fine (like yours) they just can hear me...after spending over an hour on the phone with tech support doing trouble shooting i'm going to have to get that repaired now...what a pain, i wish they would check to make sure everything works before they give you your machine back.

andrae78

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
My built in mic isnt working

Hi everyone my built in mic was working fine until a couple months ago, when it stopped working during a video chat on skype. The thing is that I checked the settings and it is receiving the sounds alright but it seems like it is not relaying it. I was advised to reinstall the OS but when i did it worked for two weeks at a time an then stops. So I have to keep reinstalling the OS for it to work. Other than that I have to be plugging my earphone into the mic input and using the earphones as a mic. I need help please this is getting frustrating.

yomac

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
Try pressing "command+option+p+r" when you restart (while the screen is still blank/blue/or green) until you hear the restart sound for the 2nd time. It fixed the problem for me.

gerardoflores

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
Possible solution

Hey, I had the same problem... and surfing trough here and there found my solution: Go to Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup and check if the mic has the "mute" checkbox... well checked. If you uncheck it... you'll instantly recover your mic!

Hopefully it works for you too.

Reactions: mchristy-tamu

Seamustard

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Another Possible Solution

Hey fellas and ladies. I had a similar issue (my mic wasn't working on photobooth, online games, etc). I tried using that Command+Option+p+r restart and it didn't work, I tried doing what "gerardoflores" did aswell but my mic wasn't muted. However, in that same utilities section I changed the format for my internal microphone from 96 000.0 Hz to 48 000.0 Hz and the microphone worked in Photobooth, I'm yet to try it in my game but I have high hopes :) Thanks for bringing Audio MIDI Setup to my attention, gerardoflores. Hopefully this will work for anyone else who tries.

grizzly4321

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
One more possibility

Once you get in the Audio MIDI Setup area, you can switch the default input from "Built In Input" to "Built in Microphone". I couldn't record sound for almost a year, and now it's back up and running! BLESS THESE TWO WORLDY SCHOLARS on here for showing me how to get to my Audio MIDI Setup area and where to go from there. Seriously, you're both awesome. Thank you so, so much. Now my girlfriend can finally listen to me record guitar and drink beers late into the evening again! She's going to be thrilled!

poggione1

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
I fixed it in two seconds

My internal mic works fine on my Macbook Pro, but external mics weren't registering. It was easy to fix.

As previously posted, go to Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Built-in Input

Once there, drag the toggles next to "1" and "2" all the way to the right. Make sure "Mute" is unchecked.

You should be good to go.

darkrai

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Australia
restart

all i did was restart but i also changed the format where it says 2ch-24 bit i changed it to 2ch-32 bit and then i restarted my mac

Kaimo20

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Mic Problem

hi,

I've been having trouble with my mic on my Macbook OS X, version 10.5.8.
And the thing is i don't know really know what the cost of the problem is because before it was working just fine. And then when i took out the battery and used it to my brothers computer cause his battery wasn't working, and when i returned the batter to my macbook the mic started not working on Skype and garage band and all the recordings, so i thought that maybe it was just the "mute" in the Audio MIDI, but it wasnt cause i fixed and i thought that was it and maybe that i just pressed something. But, still didn't work.. So i don't know what the problem is...

Please Help Thanks...

supercazzola

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
you are a genius!

Hey, I had the same problem... and surfing trough here and there found my solution: Go to Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup and check if the mic has the "mute" checkbox... well checked. If you uncheck it... you'll instantly recover your mic!

Hopefully it works for you too.

The above solution worked for me. I wonder if a software package I use somehow set this to mute. Because I know I didn't!

jonkino

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Help with iMac's built-in microphone please.

The above solution worked for me. I wonder if a software package I use somehow set this to mute. Because I know I didn't!

Can someone help me/ I have been trying ever since I bought this imac two years ago to use Skype and I just can't get my microphone to work on skype or in ichat. I can hear the caller but they can't hear me. It is so frustrating, I have tried everything I can find in this forum. Made sure built-in microphone is selected and it isn't muted in Skype settings. I have been in Audio MIDI setup and made sure built in Mic is selected and that the mute box isn't checked. Still no luck at all. I have tried all the three hz settings. I have tried all three ch bit settings. I have got the 1 and 2 sliders over to the right but still no joy. All I want to do is use my skype so I can talk to my close friends who have moved to the other side of the world - I'm fed up of wrting on sticky pads and holding my messages up to the screen so they can see what I am saying.

If anyone else has any other solutions, please let me know.

JessicaPyong

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Check if you are using a headset/earphones that does not have a faulty microphone in it. Try changing a new one or talk without it

Tarheel86

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Fixed again!

Had the same issue. Went to Utilities / Audio-Midi, etc. and BAM! Fixed. This is the second time in as many weeks that users here have helped me fix a sound / or microphone issue.

THANKS !!!

bnoof

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Three cheers for Geraldoflores

The MIDI deal worked for me too. Bizarre how that got changed. Thanks!

ron1956

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
internal and external mic not working

I too am having a mic problem but do not know if it ever worked. I did the "command+option+p+r" that did not fix the problem. When I go into Audio MIDI there is nothing disabled but I am not able to disable it either. Can I load the utilities of MIDI? I am new to Mac so you may have to help with what I have to do.
Mac os x version 10.7.2 build 11C74. Macbook, 2.33 Ghz Core 2,
Thanks
both internal and external does not work.

Last edited:

alpineman

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
I too am having a mic problem but do not know if it ever worked. I did the "command+option+p+r" that did not fix the problem. When I go into Audio MIDI there is nothing disabled but I am not able to disable it either. Can I load the utilities of MIDI? I am new to Mac so you may have to help with what I have to do.
Mac os x version 10.7.2 build 11C74. Macbook, 2.33 Ghz Core 2,
Thanks
both internal and external does not work.

I'm having the same issues since upgrading to 10.7.2 have tried everything but cannot figure it out internal or external mic do not work.
Please help

Glendademoss

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
My internal mic works fine on my Macbook Pro, but external mics weren't registering. It was easy to fix.

As previously posted, go to Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Built-in Input

Once there, drag the toggles next to "1" and "2" all the way to the right. Make sure "Mute" is unchecked.

You should be good to go.

I went to Audio Midi Setup, but it would not let me uncheck the mute boxes.

Jenobence

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Similar -but not the same- problem

I'm having a similar problem.

My mac mini (2,5GHz i5, Radeon 6630M) worked without an issue so far, and all of a sudden, it's microphone jack stopped working.
I have microphone jacks on my keyboard and also on my speaker system, my headset worked in all of them, and out of the blue, it won't.

My sound output works flawlessly, I can listen music, watch video, all the above mentioned ports are working as far as output goes.
I tried the Sound in System Preferences, also the Audio Midi Setup, both failed. Tried to install Line In, and uninstalled properly afterwards, tried the toothpick trick; no, no, no.

The microphone jack on the mac mini "looks" clear, no dust, the small steel balls are in the right place, and I mainly plugged in and out my headset into my keyboard, so that couldn't cause the problem either.

The funny things I found are look like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAAV0/WL0OsR8puYM/s712/Untitled%204.png
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAAWE/S8bljd5ccgk/s701/Untitled%202.png
(in case the links don't work, I describe with words as well)

In System Preferences/Sound/Input, the bar behaves like this:
When I switch to Input from Output, the bar shows at about 60% "blue" for a split second, and goes all the way down in an instant.

(I suspect it happens only when my headset's mic is not plugged in, but I am not 100% sure about that)

In Audio Midi Setup, I found that both in Input;
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAAV4/w0SLY83aIGM/s709/Untitled%203.png
and Output tabs;
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3UPwT15a4CU/UkvggowBkzI/AAAAAAAAAWI/T9tGt6UObdI/s734/Untitled.png
the Master bar is "fixed" the minimum, it is grey and I found no way to turn it or move it any way higher. It is not muted but simply "off".

I have no idea how to solve this, but it is a real problem, since I can't communicate with either of my freinds/family/teammates properly without a working microphone.

I am only guessing it is a sowftware hickup, but I do not know how to go on from now.

I would appreciate any help.

thailazer

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
I've been using a Logitech C110 camera's built in MIC just fine for a year and last week it stopped working. When I go to the Audio MIDI Setup utility, the master volume is at zero AND THE SLIDER CAN NOT BE MOVED UP! (Mute is not checked, although I can check and un-check it.)

What can I do to restore the ability to move up the master volume?

All help appreciated.

UPDATE AND EDIT: Just checked the C110 on my MacBook and the Mic does not work there either so it is a Logitech C110 failure. Just need to buy a new USB Mic I guess.....

Last edited:

mac65

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Munich, Germany
My Logitech C110 also stopped working on Mavericks

I've been using a Logitech C110 camera's built in MIC just fine for a year and last week it stopped working.
Almost same here: After re-plugging it in, I can use it with Skype but not with Messages.app. But a little later, it doesn't work any more in any way (no video, either, even though it's still recognized by the apps), and I have to re-plug it again to use with Skype.
Before the upgrade to 10.9 the C110 worked reliably in all apps.

BTW, this is the wrong thread for this - the thread is explicitly about the _internal_ mic, while we're talking about an external mic here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.