Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
So from information I've gathered, Apple isn't taking any pre-orders or reservations. What time do you plan on getting in line? The 5PM "launch" really makes it tough because I'm sure people will be there ALL DAY waiting, from 6AM or earlier. I'm beginning to think my chances might be better online.

Mitch2742

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
So from information I've gathered, Apple isn't taking any pre-orders or reservations. What time do you plan on getting in line? The 5PM "launch" really makes it tough because I'm sure people will be there ALL DAY waiting, from 6AM or earlier. I'm beginning to think my chances might be better online.

I plan on going around 6:30 PM because I can't make it there any earlier. REALLY worried it's going to sell out, but if that's the case then hopefully I will be able to order it online.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I really dont think you should worry. People are working/in school. Plus it's a $500+ product. This is no summer time must have $200 phone.

Mitch2742

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Actually I might just call in to my internship and go to the Apple store around 3 PM.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
What time do you plan on getting in line? The 5PM "launch" really makes it tough because I'm sure people will be there ALL DAY waiting, from 6AM or earlier. I'm beginning to think my chances might be better online.
The only people who'd wait inline when you can order online are the people who don't have a life.

The 5:00 pm launch is so the people who get detention that day can still make the launch.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
There is a reason why Apple is not taking any pre-orders or reservations. They realize that with such underwhelming device there aren't going to be any lines otherwise (and Apple does like the hype).

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I can't see any long lines for this. With all the people saying they are waiting for the 3rd Gen now, I would not expect demand to exceed supply. Anyway if you go down there and they are out just go home and order one online. They will make more.
My question is if the Best Buy Apple kiosks will have any. I will have to check next week on that.

Hobbes.

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Just putting this out there...my opinion n the situation.

5PM launch because they want to be able to say come back tomorrow when the store closes.

It won't sell out in 4 hours, but they definitely want to create some sense of, come back later urgency.

nvcplus

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I am going right now! I am just trying to get that HDMI adapter though. I won't be able to afford an iPad 2 til next year.

Who is with me!?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
They realize that with such underwhelming device there aren't going to be any lines otherwise (and Apple does like the hype).

+1 A faster CPU is nice and maybe the HDMI connection but the cameras, meh. Lighter by 0.2 pounds, meh. Slightly thinner, meh. White, MEH.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
So let me get this straight. Not only are they not allowing online pre-orders, but they won't start selling the iPad until 5PM on the day they release it? Maybe I am reading the thread/OP wrong?

I would think they would be available for sale first thing when they open up on the 11th???

LFSimon

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
Illinois
Anything written on Apple site that indicates the time that online sales will start? Is this 5PM as well? Eastern Time?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So let me get this straight. Not only are they not allowing online pre-orders, but they won't start selling the iPad until 5PM on the day they release it? Maybe I am reading the thread/OP wrong?

I would think they would be available for sale first thing when they open up on the 11th???

No, usually Apple likes 5pm Friday launches. The early AM iPhone & original iPad WiFi launch were the the exception. The iPad 3G did go on sale on a Fri @ 5PM IIRC. Also it's when many early versions of OS X and the iPod went on sale. It creates hype and impressive lines.

I'm hoping Apple at least allows reservations like last year.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
If they start at 5:00pm, just show up at 5:15pm or 5:30pm to give the 5 other people who give a rats a$$ time to accept their hyped applause and get their iPads. Otherwise you risk wasting time standing in line for nothing and possibly vomiting from the gratuitous marketing crapola that Apple will be doling out that day.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I get off work @ 4 and work 15 minutes away from the Apple store on Michigan Ave. I'll get about 4:30 or 4:45.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.