Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Ive been trying to figure out what ill be buying on the 11th...

- Ipad 2 32GB Wifi
- Dock
- Applecare
- ?Smart Cover?

Should i get the smart cover or wait and see other manufacturers offer? :confused:

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Ive been trying to figure out what ill be buying on the 11th...

- Ipad 2 32GB Wifi
- Dock
- Applecare
- ?Smart Cover?

Should i get the smart cover or wait and see other manufacturers offer? :confused:
I'll personally get the cover. You have 14 days to return it if you don't like it. That will give you some time as well to see if anything better comes along.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I'd buy it even if you are thinking of getting another case because it seems like it'd be nice to have and I bet a lot of cases will be built to be compatible with it, like something to cover the back and use the smart cover for the screen

daleycss

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
you know if youre going to an apple store, you could just try it out there. i mean, you might not be able to tell if it's what you want, but it still might help you.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
If you buy your iPad at BB you can take the Reward points and get a nice discount on the cover but you have to wait 30 days.
I'm getting the cover too but I can wait since I have a W/F ultimate sleeve bag. I figure with the cover on the thickness will be just the same as the iPad1 and fit the bag perfectly.

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Buy one

They may sell out...I purchased my ipad and case on launch day last year - ordered the case I wanted and sold the Apple case for a profit to someone who could not find one and "needed it".

BTW - this time I am going to use my iPad two like I have nothing to lose. Ill get the cover but I don't care if the back gets scratched. Protect the glass and forget about the a##. Everyone gets so caught up protecting their magical device that they treat it like a irreplaceable family keepsake. I'm all for taking care of it in general... but I want to use this thing for all its worth.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I'd buy it even if you are thinking of getting another case because it seems like it'd be nice to have and I bet a lot of cases will be built to be compatible with it, like something to cover the back and use the smart cover for the screen

This totally makes sense. U have helped me make my decision. The only bad thing is I'll have to buy ONE more thing unlike with the apple CASE. Thanks apple.

I posted on a thread earlier that apple should have just revised the apple CASE to work like the cover. I guess that made just too much sense for apple.

nmills

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Definitely Buy. the only question is which color to get???

I'm getting the tan leather. beautiful.

I love this new cover. It's sleek, functional and minimal.
I'll probably buy a borsa bella sleeve to put it in when not in use.

delacruzjeff

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

...with the smart case, how can you protect the back against scratches? would be nice if apple just redesign the existing case.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

...with the smart case, how can you protect the back against scratches? would be nice if apple just redesign the existing case.

but apple wants you to see their pretty design. plus less weight, less thickness. Minimalistic. The apple way :)

If you want a full case buy another one

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
umm manufacturers need more than 14 days to make a good case.... I'm probably going to wait a month or so to see what's developing
You're implying that manufacturers won't start until the 11th to make them. I'm pretty sure they're already working on them.

You're implying that manufacturers won't start until the 11th to make them. I'm pretty sure they're already working on them.

Right well even assuming they started today that only leaves them 22 days to have them designed, built and out in the stores... :rolleyes: I don't expect any high quality cases to be ready by that point. Especially cases that really make use of the unique magnets in the iPad. They probably would want to test the cases on a real iPad before they begin the mass manufacture process.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Buy one of each colour in each finish, try them all, and if you don't like them, take them back. Why do you need advice from people on what YOU like?

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I'm getting the black smart cover, with a white iPad 2. I'd rather have that light blue but I had to compromise it was either the black iPad with the blue cover or the withe w/the black. I had to compromise Damb family lol

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I'm getting the black iPad cause it's classic and classy. I'll be getting the gray poly cover as the best match to the black and silver. Considering how the cover works - I see it laying on the table in a lot of combination's, I think the leather will get dirty fast and be hard to clean while the poly will just wipe up nicely.
oh and here is someone else's cover:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ne...s-cover-for-ipad-2-utilizes-built-in-magnets/

ladymacintosh

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Seattle

I would probably get some tiny rubber stick on feet and put them on the back.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally like the smart cover. I hate the Apple iPad case. It's feels cheap and impossible to keep looking good. I like to keep my iPhone 4 case free to show off the beautiful design and I'd like to do the same with the new iPad.

I'll be getting the black 32 gig iPad 2 with the biedge leather smart cover.
:apple:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I'm sure that there will be alternatives, as well as other case designs that take advantage of the magnets (I believe they said during the keynote that they wouldn't stop case manufacturers from using the magnet system). They probably won't be out on the 11th though.

I'll be interested to see what they come up with, a full-body iPad case that doesn't actually have to clip or hug the iPad to stay on could be very nice.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
it'd be really interesting if someone did something like an Incipio Feather for the ipad2 that's compatible with the Smart Cover. That might be a good combo.

Edit: for what it's worth, in years past I owned both a Palm V and m505 that each had a flip cover and no protection for the back. I don't remember ever having any issues with scratches on the back. I also wasn't stupid about what sort of surfaces I put them on nor did I carry them in a pocket with keys and coins.

Although it's an apples/oranges comparison to the ipad, I wouldn't be surprised if one could exercise some care and not scratch up the back of an ipad 2.

I believe they said during the keynote that they wouldn't stop case manufacturers from using the magnet system).

How generous of Apple. They won't stop case manufacturers from doing something that other companies (RIM) have done long before Apple implemented it on the ipad 2. Using a "sleeper magnet" is not a new thing. :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but my iPad has gone essentially case-less since launch day last year and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I had a couple cases on it from time to time, but they were short-lived things. Hated the way they felt. It's been naked I'd say 95% of the time and mine doesn't have a single scratch on the back. Granted, I'm careful with it. Even the plastic Apple on the back is like new.

I do keep it in an Incipio Underground Envelope when carrying it around (generally in a Timbuk2 bag,) but in use, it's naked. I just don't see the point, I guess. Makes it bigger, heavier, uglier, and feels awful. The nicest thing I've seen is Apple's "smart cover." So if you're a gentle user, don't worry about the back and enjoy your new iPad and cover. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the smart cover, either, as it'll get in the way. But I can understand why some will want it - the fold up stand design is pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.