Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
So I've been seeing some threads with heat being way up when running windows 7 and fans running loud.... gfx card always used instead of integrated...

I hope Apple is not purposely screwing over PC users by making Windows 7 run inefficiently...

Has anyone had experience with this on the new 2011 macbooks and had any positive experiences with running Windows 7 for either gaming, web browsing, image editing, video editing, etc.? Or is the Macbook Pro just fan high, hot, and loud when it runs WIndows 7?

Last edited:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I have been playing Borderlands and NBA 2K11 on my 2.2 quad in Bootcamp, and to be honest my early 08" Penryn 2.5GHZ got much hotter than this one, and this one is light years faster.. well not light years, but you get my point.

sk3tch

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
Mine isn't hot to the touch, but the temp readings are pretty damn high...fan is always running. All I am doing is downloading SP1 (not installing, yet) and surfing the web.

I have my MBP closed (connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse) and on an Allsop monitor stand (with tons of holes on it to provide airflow).

It's a high-end 15" with 128GB SSD.

HWMonitor output attached.

Attachments

• HWMonitor.txt
    44.6 KB · Views: 494

ddoolin0

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Mine isn't hot to the touch, but the temp readings are pretty damn high...fan is always running. All I am doing is downloading SP1 (not installing, yet) and surfing the web.

I have my MBP closed (connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse) and on an Allsop monitor stand (with tons of holes on it to provide airflow).

40 isn't hot.

EDIT: 84 on mainboard, CPU is 40? Wth.

Last edited:

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
My Early 2008 gets a lot hotter than 40C. In Windows 7, temps aren't much different for me under load.

temps2.jpg
temps.jpg

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I set aside 40gb for a windows 7 64 bit partition/install. There's only a rare time or two where I've got a ActiveX based net-based program that I must access. So, I've got it on there as a boot camp partition. Honestly, I didn't hear any extra fan noise or any of that. But, it wouldn't matter. I'm not planning on using it that much. By the way, Win7 64 bit chewed up a good 20gb of that partition.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
No, MS doesn't need any more help in that regard :p

If Windows is unable to run on a Macbook Pro better than an HP or Dell can... I would be sorely disappointed. Fans, heat, and temps dont always go on max when running on PC machines. Of course Apple is meant to run for OSX... but the hardware is still intel and are parts that other PC manufacturers use.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I can't boot anymore ....BSOD when I want to boot Windows 7 HP, 64bit with SP1 and all other updates installed......
I am not the only one who got this issue...

DONT INSTALL SP1 !!!

I got the MBP 15 2011 with 2.2 GHz and 6750 graphics.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I can't boot anymore ....BSOD when I want to boot Windows 7 HP, 64bit with SP1 and all other updates installed......
I am not the only one who got this issue...

DONT INSTALL SP1 !!!

I got the MBP 15 2011 with 2.2 GHz and 6750 graphics.

hmm, that is interesting. I have no problems with mine, but I don't think I have updated it. I only use it for like 2 games, no programs, so to speak.

BTW, I have the same machine.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I did a reinstall of W7 now and skipped SP1 and some optional updates that are known for causing troubles also if you run W7 on a PC without bootcamp.
Maybe my mobile internet stick HUAWEI E182e causes the troubles after SP1 has been installed....
All is well now ;).

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I hope Apple is not purposely screwing over PC users by making Windows 7 run inefficiently...

They haven't done anything on purpose but they could be a bit more proactive by enabling graphics switching. Windows in general is more resource intensive and not power optimised for specific Apple hardware like OSX is so it will always run hotter.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you

well there's your issue, its only running up one of the fans, the other is at stock speed.

Jonze

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I installed Windows 7 the only problem that I had was with Aero but thats all sorted now. Not sure if downloading the ATI/AMD Driver helped along the way though.

roman59

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Bootcamped my 2011 15" macbook pro this morning with windows 7 not had any problems so far, I just used the drivers etc that bootcamo asked me to download & burn to dvd.

It seems to be running fine but i will download & install Lubbos fan control just to be on the safe side.

Also running Aida64 to keep an eye on the temps & fan speeds in windows.

Cheers

sk3tch

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
well there's your issue, its only running up one of the fans, the other is at stock speed.

Thanks - how would I resolve this? Use Lubbo's? It's strange to me that Apple takes the time to create this great Boot Camp process (and it truly is smooth and easy) but yet doesn't tune the fans/cooling parameters. My laptop (in normal use) in Mac OS X and Windows 7 is completely different.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
My fans run a little faster in Win 7, but nothing obnoxious. Battery life appears substantially shorter, but that's to be expected. What I didn't expect was to be able to stick my old laptop's hard drive in the ODD and immediately be able to boot that partition in Bootcamp with no complaints from Windows 7. Perhaps that's normal to be able to swap drives between computers, but I didn't expect it.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I did a reinstall of W7 now and skipped SP1 and some optional updates that are known for causing troubles also if you run W7 on a PC without bootcamp.
Maybe my mobile internet stick HUAWEI E182e causes the troubles after SP1 has been installed....
All is well now ;).

A 3m long USB extension cable for my HUAWEI E182e modem caused the ewusbnet.sys-related BSOD......not using this cable anymore...
Installed all Windows updates now with SP1.
No issues ;).

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
If Windows is unable to run on a Macbook Pro better than an HP or Dell can... I would be sorely disappointed. Fans, heat, and temps dont always go on max when running on PC machines. Of course Apple is meant to run for OSX... but the hardware is still intel and are parts that other PC manufacturers use.

The motherboard is a custom Apple part that no one else uses.

jdee2wheels

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
So far I haven't had the best experience running windows 7 on my 2011 macbook pro. Most things work fine, but the touchpad sensitivity is really screwy when you try to click and drag. This I can deal with, but the laptop gets so hot I almost don't want to use it. I ran windows for about 4 hours yesterday just doing basic wordpress stuff and quickbooks and it was like sitting next to an oven all day. I don't have any temperature readings, but its never seemed to get this hot in OSX even when doing much more intensive work.

I'm pretty disappointed with the heat thing, since I was going to use the computer for running Solidworks (CAD) and I honestly don't think I want to spend 8 hours at a time on something that is so uncomfortable to be using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.