Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
There is about to be a disproportionate amount of first time iPad buyers (like myself). What type of accessories would you recommend that we should be looking at and thinking about? For those who have had an iPad over the past year, which accessories have you used the most and which ones are more niche or gimmicky. Discuss why certain accessories have been useful and what situations you have used them in.

here are a few accessories that I can think of to get the creative juices flowing and my brief opinion (if I am wrong please correct me!)

case/smart cover- how needed is this really? I usually like keeping my iphone naked
dock- what is the real pupose of this? a stand? a way to charge while upright? a stand while using a bluetooth keyboard?
keyboard dock- obviously this would come in handy for lots of typing
bluetooth keyboard- could be used with a dock to replace the above item
car charger- maybe not because of 10+ hrs battery life, but for those REALLY long car rides...
hdmi cable- could be really useful for teaching or presentations
usb/sd card adapters- for photographers to put pictures directly on the iPad

what else? What accessories do we really need?

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Smart thing is get the minimum of accessories. Cheap screen protection and some sort of case. IMHO an inexpensive ebay screen protector tends to work just as well as a $40 one; but skip the wet application kind with the 3M film and stick with the dry-application kind.

Then sit down and USE the thing for a few weeks before you go buy accessories.

Lots of the accessories *could* be really useful, *if* you actually need them. We all have grand ideas of all the neato cool stuff we're going to do with the new toy and the tendency is to buy a lot of stuff that just ends up sitting on the shelf. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and don't buy anything until you know for sure you'll use them enough to justify the price.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This $4 picture stand. Best iPad holder!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 105

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Agree with rdowns ^

I've got several of these inexpensive stands all around the house and they're great for sticking the iPad on, whether to let it just rest there or whether to use the wireless BT keyboard, or whatever. They fold up nicely for toting along with me, too. I much prefer to have the iPad standing up rather than lying on any surface -- just seems safer that way in terms of visibility, with less potential for accidents.

I've got the iPad case and I have really liked it this past year; at home the iPad stays naked but when it's time to go out, she's slipped into the case and away we go, and usually she's carried in the Waterfield Designs Muzetto bag. I also have a couple of other cases but really like the Apple case the best. I don't know how well I'll like the new "Smart Cover," but I guess I'll find out next week!

I have a couple of the iPad docks -- one for charging the iPad when it needs it and one that is permanently connected to the computer for syncing. I just find it better all the way around to pop the thing into and out of a dock rather than to be fiddling with plugging-and-unplugging the cable all the time.

Although I've got the keyboard dock, too, I find that when I'm planning to do a lot of typing that I tend to reach for the wireless BT keyboard more often than not, since it is more flexible in terms of positioning, etc. If I'm just going to type something fairly short I don't bother with either keyboard, just use the iPad's own, and that works quite well, really.

Camera connection kit is useful but I have to admit that I really haven't used it nearly as much as I'd anticipated that I would.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Smart thing is get the minimum of accessories.

Then sit down and USE the thing for a few weeks before you go buy accessories.

Lots of the accessories *could* be really useful, *if* you actually need them. We all have grand ideas of all the neato cool stuff we're going to do with the new toy and the tendency is to buy a lot of stuff that just ends up sitting on the shelf. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and don't buy anything until you know for sure you'll use them enough to justify the price.

Take his and my word for it!
Except for the parts I excluded :D

pelinca

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
The 2 most important accesories for me are :

-Apple Original Case - best case ever (like it more than the smart case)
-Camera Connection Kit - very useful especially after u jailbreak (usb stiks)

findnemo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
I just bought a $3 shipped ipad 1 screen protector from eBay. I always find a way to scratch a screen.

I have a 3G iphone protector on my Ip4 and even though it covers the camera - it's crystal clear. Why pay more for them to cut a hole.

Also the +1 on the camera connection kit. The HDMI out looks like a good price - although a tad expensive.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't get a screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.