Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonepro23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hi,

i was wondering if there is anyway to remove yourself from group messaging once someone has sent you a group message with a couple of other people on the message and yourself. The reason being is the other people keep replying back to the group message and because of that i keep getting text messages as well. On a typical day i have 500 messages just from that one group message. And if i tell them to take me off the message they refuse and will message even more just to bully me. So please i am begging for someone to help me. Let me know if there is a hack or anything that i can purchase. I don't want to get rid of text messaging, but would like something that would allow me to opt-out of a group message whenever i want to. Thanks!!!!!

iphonepro23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Text Messaging (Group Messaging)

For the iphone 4 there is a feature in the setting that allows for group messaging.

Group messaging allows an individual to send one text message to multiple people and as those people reply back to the text message everyone is able to see their response. Therefore anytimes someone replies to that group message you will recieve their response in a text message as well.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove my name from that group text message that was sent because I get text responses for that group message that I dont care for.

For example:

If John sends me, molly, and kim a text message on group messaging. Any response that will be added to that group message will appear on my iphone 4, john's phone, molly's phone, and kim's phone. whenever each one of them replies to that group text message we will all recieve their response. And there is no way for you to stop getting the response, unless everyone stops responding to the group text message.

This is available on the updated firmware for the iphone's.

Please let me know if there is anyway I can block the other people's responses or remove myself from that group text message.

Thanks!

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Not sure what you're talking about, SMS isn't capable of group messaging in the way you've described. When your phone recieves an SMS that was sent to multiple people, it has no idea who else it was sent to. It's akin to sending an SMS one after the other to each person (which is how I think it actually works). Anyway it sounds like your friends are sending the message back as a group text as well. Just ask them not to include you.

mrfamico

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Not sure what you're talking about, SMS isn't capable of group messaging in the way you've described.

What are you saying? I mean really, this is macrumors. He's talking about group messaging. It's extremely annoying. You know when one of your friends spams a bunch of people. Then people start replying and you get all the replies. In a string within the messages app. It creates a whole new text log.

There must be a way not to receive the replies after you have decided you don't give a hoot about the original text.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
smh.. I'm kinda baffled how some of you don't know what group messaging is.

----------

Hi,

i was wondering if there is anyway to remove yourself from group messaging once someone has sent you a group message with a couple of other people on the message and yourself. The reason being is the other people keep replying back to the group message and because of that i keep getting text messages as well. On a typical day i have 500 messages just from that one group message. And if i tell them to take me off the message they refuse and will message even more just to bully me. So please i am begging for someone to help me. Let me know if there is a hack or anything that i can purchase. I don't want to get rid of text messaging, but would like something that would allow me to opt-out of a group message whenever i want to. Thanks!!!!!

Unfortunately--at the moment--there's no way of opting out of group messaging.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Great thread.........started off good until the helpful "replies" came pouring in.

I don't believe that you can opt out of Group Messaging on your end. You would need to Group Message back "Unsubscribe" to give them the hint.

james6912

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Has anyone found a way to opt out of these group messages? I think people dont delete them on purpose and reply to them days later just to annoy people.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
What in the world are you talking about?

Sounds more like email than text...

what in the world are you talking about?? have you used an iphone??? groupmessaging.. its just what its called. Text/imessage several people.

----------

Not sure what you're talking about, SMS isn't capable of group messaging in the way you've described. When your phone recieves an SMS that was sent to multiple people, it has no idea who else it was sent to. It's akin to sending an SMS one after the other to each person (which is how I think it actually works). Anyway it sounds like your friends are sending the message back as a group text as well. Just ask them not to include you.

it indeed shows it LOL even when i had a Razr phone back in the early 2000s it showed me who all the group text was sent to....

yeah, its annoying op. i wish i could block all incoming group messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.