Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supadoodles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
What can we realistically expect to arrive in iOS 5 to be previewed this Spring (?) and launched this Summer?

Will the iPad version of iOS 5 be ready & released alongside the iPhone/iTouch version?

Remember, the key word is REALISTIC. No use in making wildly fantastical wishlists that could never happen.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Realistic expectations? I have no clue...

What I'd realistically like to see?

- Revamped notifications

- Some better support for files, either sandboxed "documents" "photos" etc folders, or at the very least a better way to transfer files between applications

- It'd be nice if there were widgets of some sort... OSX has dashboard, but I really don't think thats happening as Apple really, really likes battery life

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I just want Apple to re-think the notification system in iOS. Really, the current notification system is at the level of dumb phones. There are plenty of examples already a better way to do it as shown in Android and WebOS. A combo of Android's notification and iOS' badge on the app icons would be great.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Ok, I'll play...

What I would like to realistically see in iOS 5?

1) Widgets

2) Notification banner. Just a little scrolling banner at the bottom of the screen on the iPad (I am not a smart phone user, so I don't care about the iPhone). While I am happy with the numbers that are displayed on the application icon, I get migraines reading the bitching going on about the notications. Just a simple banner like they have at the bottom of the Daily App (app blows btw) scrolling your notifications.

3) Wireless backups and calendar / contact sync. I get all my data wirelessly now anyway, but it would be nice not to have to plug in to update calendar and contacts. Come on $99 a year for Mobile Me?

4) And while this isn't an iOS issue, it's just that I haven't bitched about it in a while. Maybe I'll give the right person a migraine and they will do something about it. What I need is big boy Excel. Numbers unmerges merged cells. Come on Apple really ? Microsoft, how about REAL Excel for the iPad ? Please.

That's my thoughts.

Scottapotmas

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
some kind of previosly discussed 'shared services' like OSX.

Eg, you set your default photo browser/uploader/tweet/facebook/flickr/instapaper/rss apps for use under a contextual menu in any app, instead of apps having to manually provide options for the services under a menu.

That, and a revamped notification system.

What I will find interesting is the supported devices list. iPhone 3G has already been dropped from OS4.3, so other devices are likely not powerful to run the new magical, revolutionary features...

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I'm hoping for
-more distinction between iPhone and iPad... They are too similar right now, and there are certain things that could be better on iPad vs iPhone.
-Better notification system
-Better multitasking for iPad.. I think we will se something like mission control on lion... Specifically how it handles switching between full screen apps
-Sandbox file system for documents... Sort of like the photos app but for miss file types
-Create camera roll on device rather than syncing a folder from the computer.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
When do they typically preview the new iOS? I remember them showing at WWDC in early June...but is that when we normally see the first preview or is that when they normally release it?

Cagle

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
-expose with four finger down swipe
-folder for files
-notifications popup in the bottom right hand corner with recent notifications list where search currently is (left swipe)
-back and forwards in safari with 3 finger swipes
-resizable app windows so you can view more than one at the same time
-interactive top bar, much like you have in mac osx (make adjustments to volume, brightness)
-printing!

i know, only printing and notifications will probably be upgraded in iOS5:rolleyes:

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
When do they typically preview the new iOS? I remember them showing at WWDC in early June...but is that when we normally see the first preview or is that when they normally release it?

Last year they previewed on April 8th

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I just don't get the love affair with widgets. When I used an Android device on a daily basis, I quickly grew bored of this useless feature. It really saved me no time between checking my data through a widget, or launching the full app. In addition, the widget usually displayed the data in a far inferior way to the full application. After the second week, I never used the widgets again.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Rumor has it that iOS 5 is supposed to revamp the UI a little. So that, plus a new notification system. Other than that, I'm not sure.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I just don't get the love affair with widgets. When I used an Android device on a daily basis, I quickly grew bored of this useless feature. It really saved me no time between checking my data through a widget, or launching the full app. In addition, the widget usually displayed the data in a far inferior way to the full application. After the second week, I never used the widgets again.

What I really dont get but I see some people drool all over it are "live wallpapers". I mean really? Who cares...why do I need the wallpaper to be animated? It's only visible when you don't have an app open, which is not the case most of the time you're using the device...and make it look all busy. I usually have my wallpaper as a very simple gray pattern or just a solid color, so the app icons stand out, not the background itself.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I think Apple might widened the gap between iOS iPhone and iOS iPad. Or at least i hope.

Stop looking at them as iPhone and iPad. Look at them as mobile devices. Different, but somewhat similar devices that work together.

It's not a love affair, I started using them again on the iMac. Just a few useful ones. It might be nice to have a couple on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.