Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
CT
do you guys have this side by side scratch? i believe these were marks from the edges of the trackpad...

left side.. i have one also on the right side..
dsc01781b.jpg

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
I have the same problem. Two marks that align perfectly with the glass track pad. Also, I noticed there is a horizontal line going across the screen; seems like the screen is being marked by the keys.
I wonder what the genius bar would say...

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I had this problem on my 2 older MBAs where the trackpad button would cause marks on the top case. Both times, right before I went to sell them, I went to the Genius Bar to have the top case replaced. Once, the tech processed it immediately, the 2nd time I had to leave and come back another day as the initial tech was hearing none of it.

This written, I do not see this on my 13" 2010 MBA, but I will start keeping an eye out for it.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I am very meticulous.. As iag48 said. I have a horizontal line too on the screen..

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
It's actually more noticeable than you think. Any time you even look at the top of a tool bar, your eyes will focus on those annoying scratches.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Yeah when you pay a premium for this kinda product you don't expect this. Here's mine. I can actually physically feel the "indent" if that's the right word, in the bezel.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 148

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I had a similar scratch on my Rev B. It got annoying, to be sure, and I'm surprised Apple hasn't fixed it (perhaps they did in the 13" since I haven't noticed anything yet), but if you don't pay attention to it, it isn't that annoying.

I wonder what computer Steve Jobs uses at home and at the office? If it's the 11" MacBook Air, it may get fixed in the Rev E.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
We just need to rename this thread. "Insane people, check in here!" has a nice ring to it.

(I'm mostly kidding. I'm just one of those people who, you know, uses their computer and accepts a certain amount of wear.)

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Maybe this is a problem with the 11 inch MBA only. In any event my almost 3 month old 13 MBA has no scratches on or around its bezel, not that I probably would have noticed anyway but for this thread.:)

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Mmm, i’m not seeing this problem on mine. Am i not looking close enough. I just got my Air last weekend.

lengjai

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
I'm usually pretty pedantic with this stuff but I can't see any signs of this on my 1 week old 13inch

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I've had similar issues in the past with other notebooks. The main cause was that after putting my machine in a slip case I would insert into a backpack full of books/stuff. Later I discovered that if I laid down the bag the wrong way the weight of the books would press down on the notebook and cause marks.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Having a lap top does not mean you can just kick into your bag.Treat it like you treat your wife, gently !!

do you guys have this side by side scratch? i believe these were marks from the edges of the trackpad...

left side.. i have one also on the right side..
dsc01781b.jpg

Last edited:

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Having a lap top does not mean you can just kick into your bag.Treat it like you treat your wife, gently !!

you know what? actually my wife is jealous to my gadgets.. this is the only issues i have and the horizontal scratch on the screen.

i am very careful putting on my bag and i think the problem is when holding the MBA closed position then you put it on the bag, that's where it triggered...

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007

+1 point for being gay: I get to be rough with my partner ;)

(yes, I realize that women aren't made of porcelain, but found the previous comment funny in a cute, sexist kind of way, and thought an equally sexist reply was warranted.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.