Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPanther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Having held off on the first iPad, I'm jumping on to the iPad 2 this Friday :D

What are your thoughts on protecting the iPad? I'm not looking for any drop protection, but something just enough to be able keep it relatively free from scratches. Going more for the looks. Also want some stand capabilities for typing and watching movies.

The Apple smart covers look awesome, but does not protect the back from scratches. I think a wool sleeve like the one from byrd and belle would go nicely with it. On the other hand, I also love the Dodo case design and looking forward to what they're going to come up with the iPad 2. I'm sure they'll make use of the magnetic sleep/wake so won't be missing that feature of the smart covers.

Looking at two completely different approaches here. Any thoughts? What're you thinking of doing?

Byrd and Belle
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62777449/simple-ipad-sleeve-graphite-wool-felt
Dodo:
http://www.dodocase.com/

Supadoodles

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
The Smart Covers are nice but offer 0 protection. Plus, when I'm actually using the device I prefer to use it naked w/o any cover. So, I'll probably get a nice sleeve!

The only issue with that is I can't make a stand... hmm...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
It seems like you would do well to think for a bit about what kind of case you want. Here are some initial thoughts from a current iPad owner (who is also going to be getting an iPad 2)...

If you like the Apple Smart Cover, but want to have some scratch protection, you might consider going a little more simple. (And, incidentally, even with a cover, I recommend having a screen screen protector. There are quite a few very good ones out there and they can bring a piece of mind if you're giving your iPad a lot of use.) For pretty good scratch protection, you might consider one of the Zagg invisibleSHIELDs. Plus, something like that won't won't interfere with the Smart Cover.

All of that being said, while I think that the Smart Covers are cool, I see some flaws with them. For standing on a table, I'm sure they're great, but I know that I enjoy using my iPad to read in bed, and I'm sure that the Smart Cover won't provide an adequate stand for resting on me so I don't have to hold up the iPad the entire time I'm reading. I have had a folio style case from MarWare, and I love it. I'm planning on getting another folio style case for my iPad 2, though I'm not inclined toward what MarWare has planned. (I really like the BooqPad, but I'm still looking at what else is out there.). Folios provide really nice standing options in a variety of settings. Some do better jobs than others, letting you stand up your iPad in either portrait or landscape mode.

Long and short, I'd highly recommend thinking carefully about how you're going to be using your iPad and looking extensively at what options are available out there.

Here is a pretty good article giving case round up for the iPad 2, though, interestingly, it doesn't list either of the two cases you list.

PC World: iPad 2 Case Roundup

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I've heard very good things about the dodo case, apparently it's really nice.

Personally I used my iPad all of last year without a case (im a student so it gets thrown around a bit in bags and stuff) and the back doesn't have a scratch on it. They are well built products.

Only bought a case over christmas because I was on a flight and wanted a stand for it.

So I'd say try out the smart covers, plus they look really cool.

abooch1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
I'm still wondering how these cases are going to implement the speaker being on the back... Has anyone seen this yet?

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I ordered this in black:

life3new.jpg

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-apple-ipad-2-case.html

LurkingIowan

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
That sleeve from Byrd & Belle looks perfect. The smart covers look cool and all, but I think I'd just want to take it off unless I needed to prop the iPad up for some reason.

JPanther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for your comments all -- 5 days till launch, guess I'll have a bit more time to think about it. The Smart Covers being ridiculously expensive doesn't help either! :eek:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wow, that dodo case looks really nice, i might have to pick one of those up when they come out for the iPad2

Hopefully some of these will have iPad 2 revamps... I like the book concept, as long as they allow for the iPad to stand for watching movies, etc.

http://www.designwoo.com/2010/08/roundup-ipad-book-cases/

Unless they have made HUGE improvements from their initial design, I'd suggest staying away from the Dodocase--mine lasted about 4 months before the bamboo broke/split and I had to replace/reattach the corner pads repeatedly. There are numerous threads in these forums as well as other places online documenting these problems. Since I loved the style/design, I tried the Portenzo case and the difference in quality is huge. Very sturdy and solid, and most importantly, Portenzo's corner pad implementation is light years better than Dodo's--they are not coming out and neither is your iPad. Also offer a ton of customization and materials--even offer some exotic stuff that can get pretty pricey (boar skin, stingray). Not trying to shill for Portenzo, just very happy with their product. I may get another for the new iPad but not sure as I'd hate to hide such a slim form factor.

Their site says they will start shipping iPad 2 versions on March 18.

Euki

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Cool

Unless they have made HUGE improvements from their initial design, I'd suggest staying away from the Dodocase--mine lasted about 4 months before the bamboo broke/split and I had to replace/reattach the corner pads repeatedly. There are numerous threads in these forums as well as other places online documenting these problems. Since I loved the style/design, I tried the Portenzo case and the difference in quality is huge. Very sturdy and solid, and most importantly, Portenzo's corner pad implementation is light years better than Dodo's--they are not coming out and neither is your iPad. Also offer a ton of customization and materials--even offer some exotic stuff that can get pretty pricey (boar skin, stingray). Not trying to shill for Portenzo, just very happy with their product. I may get another for the new iPad but not sure as I'd hate to hide such a slim form factor.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation on the Portenzo cases. Those are classic!

mirrorbox

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
There's a nice round-up of killer cases from Macworld here and some of these brands may send out their new models soon.

By the way, I own a folio case which should also fit the iPad2. :)

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
DODOcase for iPad 2

Great thread as always. Just thought I'd chime in and provide some updates. We've got a sign up email at http://www.dodocase.com to get first look at our iPad 2 case.

The classic DODOcase design has been updated significantly since its inception. We are now using a solid core bamboo, 4 piece design for the tray which has produced our strongest parts every. As always, Gabi the bookbinder in San Francisco is creating the exterior using traditional bookbinding technique (isn't it nice thinking about Gabi working on your case?).

Look for more from us this week and hopefully we'll see some of you at launch events around the country Fri/Sat.

DODOcraig

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
DODOcase updated designs

See my later post. Big updates on the DODOcase front. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.