Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
After selling my iPad1 (but before seeing the iPad2) I had already decided to go a film route with the iPad2. The Apple case, as protective as it is, is really big and bulky and just didn't feel great. It was always dirty and would get the screen dusty (it would leave a nice stripe of dust where the fold was).

Now seeing the smart cover, that seems like the way to go, but like many others, I'm concerned about the back of the iPad2 while it's on tables and such.

What are the brand choices for protective film?
I definitely don't want something that starts peeling off, or looks like crap, and it would be nice if it came up the side a bit (to protect it when it's standing like a book).

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I haven't tried them, but I've seen this:

http://www.zagg.com/

They have skins for the back - like faux leather and such. I don't know if they'll be much for the sides since the iPad 2's sides are tapered as opposed to flat like the iPad 1.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Invisible shield is nice, they offer a lifetime warranty. However, I found that their product pricing is a bit higher than Best Skins Ever, which offer the same product (in my opinion) minus the ******** packaging, etc for a nicer price.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I have also ordered BSE skin.. But one thing that concerns me about these films is the speaker grill.. I wonder if the skin covers it completely, or leaves it open. Obviously, covering it would muffle the speaker sound, so I hope they have come up with something more clever than that.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I have also ordered BSE skin.. But one thing that concerns me about these films is the speaker grill.. I wonder if the skin covers it completely, or leaves it open. Obviously, covering it would muffle the speaker sound, so I hope they have come up with something more clever than that.

Maybe they have laser cut holes in the film to line up with each speaker hole?

You're right.. I doubt that too. lol

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
The lifetime warranty is nice and I don't mind paying a bit more for it if it's going to stay put and not peel off, that's my biggest concern really.

GadgetAddicted

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
The lifetime warranty is nice and I don't mind paying a bit more for it if it's going to stay put and not peel off, that's my biggest concern really.

Trying to decide between the Zagg & BSE. I have always used Zagg and am thoroughly pleased with them. But the price is ridiculous. Especially since I plan on picking up the black leather smart cover...

Think about it this way. Zagg has lifetime replacement warranty:

Zagg
Initial buy ($40 + $12 shipping) = $62
Replacement $12 shipping

Say I wanted to get it replaced three times throughout it's life..that would end up being $62+(3*12) = $98

BSE
Order 3 times = $60 + $10 shipping = $70.

Suggestions anyone??

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I assumed it would have cutouts for the speaker and camera, otherwise that would be ridiculous.

That is a good point on the BSE thing.
So BSE are definitely as good as the zagg ones?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Trying to decide between the Zagg & BSE. I have always used Zagg and am thoroughly pleased with them. But the price is ridiculous. Especially since I plan on picking up the black leather smart cover...

Think about it this way. Zagg has lifetime replacement warranty:

Zagg
Initial buy ($40 + $12 shipping) = $62
Replacement $12 shipping

Say I wanted to get it replaced three times throughout it's life..that would end up being $62+(3*12) = $98

BSE
Order 3 times = $60 + $10 shipping = $70.

Suggestions anyone??

Go with the BSE! Right now they have 25% off for all iPad 2 skin pre-orders! http://www.bestskinsever.com/ipad-2-skin

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've tried Zagg, BSE, Bodyguardz, and Phantomskinz. Personally, my favorite has been Phantomskinz, especially for touch screen devices. Their skins have less of the orange peel effect (pretty much non existent) and are smoother, your finger just glides. My niece got Zagg on her phone, because that's what they have at Best Buy... I showed her the Phantomskinz on my phone and she could immediately tell the difference how the Zagg was much tackier.

With that said, if you are only going to be covering the back, BSE is also a good choice. If you want full body (including screen coverage) I say Phantomskinz.

So BSE are definitely as good as the zagg ones?
IMO, Zagg is overrated. There is better stuff out there. They are just more well known due to advertisements and being available at retail locations like Best Buy.

Last edited:

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Just picked up a full body BSE skin. Can't go wrong for under $17 shipped from such a reputable company!!

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Ghost Armor is awesome.. they have kiosks in malls so it can be put on properly... no bubbles, replacement warranty. I get it on every iphone and ipad now.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I plan on getting a DecalGirl skin to protect the back of my iPad2. Customer service said they should be available to order within a week of the iPad2 launch:

http://www.decalgirl.com

I find that I prefer the matte finish generally. Coupon code "GOMATTE" used to work for a free upgrade (I haven't tried recently, but assume it would still work).

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Do BSE ones come with a spray or anything to get them on there?

No, but the solution is easy to make. It's basically water with a little bit of soap. From my experience from installing Phantomskinz (similar product), I use water with a drop of baby wash or baby shampoo.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Is that the best way to get these things on there?
I would imagine it's very easy to get a finger print on the sticky part and mucking the whole thing up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.