Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
Hi just wondering what RSS reader people use on their macs and which one people recommend?

Ive never used rss feeds before but thought id give them a try, just downloaded "NewsRack" but im not convinced.

Any help much appreciated.....

EnialusMeliamne

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
Ohio
Big fan of netnewswire here. There was a recent update that appears on the Mac App Store with somewhat limited functionality compared to the older version, so you may wish to download off of third party for now (enhancements are in the works for 4.0). Ad free variety is paid option.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Reeder is amazing! It's missing Feed Management right now but it syncs to Google Reader so you can just add stuff there!

MartinS3X

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
South Texas
I was in the same situation a couple weeks back and ended up buying NewsRack. I enjoy RSS feeds but cant stand that they only show you the first few lines. I found this website http://fulltextrssfeed.com/ all you need to do is enter in the RSS feed URL in the website and it gives you a new RSS feed. Input the new RSS feed in NewsRack and it now gives you the full article in the reader! Good luck

Akme

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Reeder if you use Google Reader, and the new NetNewsWire if you want a more conventional RSS reader.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
Cheers guys thanks for the help....

Ok so I downloaded the beta of reeder, really like the interface of it and the design looks much nicer. Guess Il prob try reeder and newsrack out for a few days and see which is best. Swaying towards reeder at the mo though.

Gonna check out the Iphone versions too I think.

Thanks

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
I use the Web-based Google reader together with a Mac skin extension for Safari... this makes it look and feel like an integrated Desktop app.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I use the Web-based Google reader together with a Mac skin extension for Safari... this makes it look and feel like an integrated Desktop app.

I use Google Reader in a browser (usually Safari)... sure, it has some limitations (ie. no RSS feeds requiring authentication) but I can read anywhere.

I do use Reeder on my iPad, but the UI wouldn't translate nicely to OS X without having some touchscreen input, IMO.

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
What's the actual advantage of a separate rss reader compared to the bare Google Reader interface? It seems to work fine for me, even on the iPhone.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
Thats it im hooked on 'Reeder' now, Newsrack has been resigned to the trash..

Love how you can use gestures on Reeder and the interface is gorgeous. Got it for my iphone now too and will be having it on my ipad 2 when its out..

Thanks for all the advice guys.

rogerdee123

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
RSS on menu bar

I keep all my RSS news feeds on my menu bar in Safari organized in folders .... i.e. ..... "mainstream news", "tech", "cars", "photography", etc etc etc within the main mother folder (the title on the menu bar) titled "RSS".

When I see something online of interest with an RSS feed, I click on the RSS newsfeed and save it as a bookmark in the appropriate folder.

It constantly updates the RSS feeds. Every morning I've got a couple of thousand new RSS feeds nicely organized in my preset catagories.

It's simple and clean and works! No need of any software program ....

Try it.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
RSSOwl. Set it to notify you on the most important news items you want to monitor coming in and you get a pop up in the lower right corner.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I decided to try Reeder.
I gave my google credentials when I opened Reeder, and instantly loaded my google reader rss feeds!

My question is: does it depends on google reader now? Or it was only for the first time?
Google reader will stop its service in July 1st.
Should I make a new login with Reeder?
Will it play with this google reader account in the future?
Does it need it to load rss from there, or just to import feeds for just once?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I decided to try Reeder.
I gave my google credentials when I opened Reeder, and instantly loaded my google reader rss feeds!

My question is: does it depends on google reader now? Or it was only for the first time?
Google reader will stop its service in July 1st.
Should I make a new login with Reeder?
Will it play with this google reader account in the future?
Does it need it to load rss from there, or just to import feeds for just once?

It relies on Google Reader to function. When it updates the feeds, they are actually being pulled from Google Reader and not directly from the sites like other stand alone RSS apps.

The Reeder dev. has said in a Twitter post he will have a solution in place before Google Reader shuts down. I guess we will have to wait and see what he comes up with.

screenshot20130319at100.png

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Reeder has any function to import (mass) feeds?
I 've already exported my feeds in an xml file from google reader.
But, how can I import it to Reeder?

Otherwise, can somebody please tell me a mac rss application who can import all my feeds from a file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.