Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
In the case of doing this, do you utilize the whole download then make the mentioned changes and load the whole thing or do you just take the bundles from that theme and add the bundles into one of your phone?

Just use the bundles as you don't really need the other stuff in that download. Unless, of course, you do then yeah, it would make sense to utilize the whole download.

If you want, then you can combine several aspects into one theme like signal/wifi, carrier icons, etc. I like to keep all themes as separate as possible so I actually have separate themes for folder backgrounds, signal/wifi, lockscreen and springboard widgets as well as icons. This way you have the freedom to mix and match as opposed to choosing one over the other.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone seen a messages/bitesms icon that looks kind of like the iRealSMS icon. There's SMS/MMS in the background of the button. It's green. That's all I got lol.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Has anyone seen a messages/bitesms icon that looks kind of like the iRealSMS icon. There's SMS/MMS in the background of the button. It's green. That's all I got lol.

This one?

Attachments

• greenSMS.png
    greenSMS.png
    22 KB · Views: 2,918

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Just use the bundles as you don't really need the other stuff in that download. Unless, of course, you do then yeah, it would make sense to utilize the whole download.

If you want, then you can combine several aspects into one theme like signal/wifi, carrier icons, etc. I like to keep all themes as separate as possible so I actually have separate themes for folder backgrounds, signal/wifi, lockscreen and springboard widgets as well as icons. This way you have the freedom to mix and match as opposed to choosing one over the other.

Makes perfect sense now. One final question - if I take the bundles from that theme, do I need to put the bundles folder within another folder which I will rename "icons" in order to put it on the phone? I assume you can't just drop the bundles folder by itself into the themes folder via ssh?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Makes perfect sense now. One final question - if I take the bundles from that theme, do I need to put the bundles folder within another folder which I will rename "icons" in order to put it on the phone? I assume you can't just drop the bundles folder by itself into the themes folder via ssh?

You are correct. Take the bundles folder and put it in another folder and then label it "icons.theme" or something like that. Make sure the ".theme" is at the end. Then SSH it into your themes folder on your phone and you're good to go. Depending on what you're using, as far as other themes or widgets, you may need to put the icons theme at the top of Winterboard.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
So how can I merge features (lock screen) from one theme into another.

Example, I love this theme (dBar Green Days) because it has the clear folders and no blacking out when you open a folder. But I like the lock screen from (dBar Antisoma).

Thanks for anyone willing to help! :D

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
So how can I merge features (lock screen) from one theme into another.

Example, I love this theme (dBar Green Days) because it has the clear folders and no blacking out when you open a folder. But I like the lock screen from (dBar Antisoma).

Thanks for anyone willing to help! :D

If you want just the clear folders from GreenDays then you can download Transparent Folder Icons from Cydia to accomplish this. There are a couple different variations of the clear folders in Cydia. One will have a border around the folder and clear wallpaper. The other will look completely clear with no border or wallpaper.

If you have this then you can install the Antisoma lockscreen and have both features you're looking for.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
If you want just the clear folders from GreenDays then you can download Transparent Folder Icons from Cydia to accomplish this. There are a couple different variations of the clear folders in Cydia. One will have a border around the folder and clear wallpaper. The other will look completely clear with no border or wallpaper.

If you have this then you can install the Antisoma lockscreen and have both features you're looking for.

True and I already have that. But the docked folders retain a gray background. I'll keep playing around and see if I figure it out.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Create a new folder named com.bitesms and put the bitesms icon in there. Add that folder to your theme's bundles folder and respring. The png should be named icon@2x.png or it won't work.

I tried this and it doesn't work. I named the folder com.apple.bitesms, I have the icon named correctly and added the .DS store file in the folder. No luck.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
I tried this and it doesn't work. I named the folder com.apple.bitesms, I have the icon named correctly and added the .DS store file in the folder. No luck.

One workaround (while you research) is to create an Icons folder under your theme folder and put two files per app in there named :

AppName.png
AppName@2x.png

where AppName is copied exactly from the name of the app on the springboard.

This is for iPhone 4, Summerboard (setting in WinterBoard) needs to be ON for this to work

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010

Were you responding to my comment ?

If so, details please, iphone 4 or 3GS/3G ?
iOS version ?

Did you make sure the "AppName" matches BiteSMS's caps and lower case letters (on springboard) exactly ? Did you check if the files ended in .png ? A lot of folks post icons ending in .jpg.
Did you turn ON summerboard on WinterBoard's main screen ?
Did you delete the icons cache folder ? (var/mobile/Library/Caches, delete com.apple.IconsCache)
Did you respring ?

If you did all this and it did not work, then Im at a loss for words :p, Ive themed EVERY icon with this method on my iPhone 4 iOS 4.1. There are some apps with weird characters that I just rename using Rename or IconRenamer (both from cydia).

You could send me your theme folder, with the bitesms icon and I can have a look.....

Last edited:

tems

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Amsterdam
Maybe this is a ridiculous question but I'm still gonna ask it. Is there a way to download these icons directly to your phone?:confused:

And thank you all for posting these great icons!

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Maybe this is a ridiculous question but I'm still gonna ask it. Is there a way to download these icons directly to your phone?:confused:

And thank you all for posting these great icons!

I think Safari Download Manager might work. I've never used it but I believe you can download items off the browser and save it in a folder on your phone somewhere.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Easy way? Take the Avant 2 HD theme, for example. Download this and delete all the icons in each folder. If you have other apps you want to change icons for then you'll need to add new folders as needed. Take whatever icon you want, phone/sms/mail/etc, and place it into the folders for this theme. You can put as many icons as you want in there but you'll need to change the naming, obviously, so only one will show up. Once you're done, change the theme name to something and load on to your phone.

First of all, i want to thank you for this description. I used this advice and was able to change a bunhc of the icons. My question now is about the labels for the icons. I was able to get rid of the lables of the undocked icons by making them transparent using my strings. That worked for the undocked icons but not the docked ones. I tried using in winterboard the option for no docked icon lables but that didnt work either. Do you have any suggestions

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
First of all, i want to thank you for this description. I used this advice and was able to change a bunhc of the icons. My question now is about the labels for the icons. I was able to get rid of the lables of the undocked icons by making them transparent using my strings. That worked for the undocked icons but not the docked ones. I tried using in winterboard the option for no docked icon lables but that didnt work either. Do you have any suggestions

Real easy fix is for this is to download "No SB & Dock Text" in Cydia. This will remove ALL labels from your phone without the need of editing strings or anything like that.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Real easy fix is for this is to download "No SB & Dock Text" in Cydia. This will remove ALL labels from your phone without the need of editing strings or anything like that.

I cant find that anywhere in cydia. is there a specific source i need?

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I really like the look of my home screen now. I want to work on my lockscreen next. Do you know of any good weather/calendar widgets and how to install them properly. Thanks

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Do you know of any good weather/calendar widgets and how to install them properly. Thanks

There are like, literally, a million you could choose from. In the Post Your JB Home Screen thread, there are quite a few in here to choose from as well as download links for them. You can also go to MacThemes and see all the Lockscreens they have there as well.

There are A LOT of simple ones as well as more complex ones so it's really up to you to decide which one you want.

One of the most favorite lockscreens around is LockInfo. It's a paid app in Cydia. If you want a cal/time lockscreen then this would be great to have. Or, simply peruse the threads and see which one you like. I'd suggest you start over at MacThemes since their setup is a little more organized than the MacRumors thread.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
There are like, literally, a million you could choose from. In the Post Your JB Home Screen thread, there are quite a few in here to choose from as well as download links for them. You can also go to MacThemes and see all the Lockscreens they have there as well.

There are A LOT of simple ones as well as more complex ones so it's really up to you to decide which one you want.

One of the most favorite lockscreens around is LockInfo. It's a paid app in Cydia. If you want a cal/time lockscreen then this would be great to have. Or, simply peruse the threads and see which one you like. I'd suggest you start over at MacThemes since their setup is a little more organized than the MacRumors thread.

Ok ill check it out, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.