Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144611-xcode_4_download.jpg

Apple today updated its Xcode information page to note that Xcode 4 is now officially available free of charge for all registered members of the company's iOS and Mac Developer Programs. Interestingly, it appears that non-members will have the option to purchase Xcode through the Mac App Store, although the listing does not yet appear to be active. Pricing appears to be set at $4.99 for non-members.
Xcode 4 is the new version of Apple's powerful integrated development environment for creating great apps for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Xcode 4 includes the Xcode IDE, Instruments, iOS Simulator, and the latest Mac OS X and iOS SDKs.

Xcode 4 has a streamlined new interface that integrates UI design, coding, testing, and debugging, all within a single window. The embedded Apple LLVM compiler underlines coding mistakes as you type, and is even smart enough to fix the problems for you automatically.
Apple gave developers the first glimpse at Xcode for at WWDC 2010 last June, and has released a number of updates to the software since that time. Apple seeded a golden master version of Xcode 4 in early February, and followed that up with a revised golden master alongside the iOS 4.3 golden master just last week.

Article Link: Apple Releases Xcode 4 to Developers, Coming Soon to Mac App Store for $4.99

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
More developers is a good thing. The more this XCode is available, the more people will try it out and see it's a very nice development environment. That's good for Apple.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Wow. Xcode 4 is the buggiest piece of GM Apple software I've ever used. And when my code does something strange, I'm not an experienced enough developer to know if something is my fault or the fault of the IDE :) (Developer forums seem to concur on how buggy it is, crashing doing simple things like copying and pasting, etc. Some people went as far to suggest Apple should start over!).

Since they're releasing it, maybe they know something I don't - who knows maybe some rogue preference somewhere that only some people have lying around makes it unstable. I guess I'll have to try using it on a clean install of Mac OS X to make sure that's not the case.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I've been using XCode 4 for a while now, haven't seen any crashes so far but it's useless on many open source projects I try to compile.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm looking forward to XCode 4.. XCode 3 is fairly buggy, and lacked many features that I'd expect from a modern IDE, but still, a vast improvement from its predecessor ( before XCode )

XCode 3 is particularly annoying - especially when having IB open - 101+ windows.

Its a shame Apple think they have to charge for it, considering all others were free - but at least its only $4.99 and not more. At least Mac developer members get it for free, considering they've paid $99. I hope in the future Apple don't restrict this to Mac Developer members...

If XCode 4 lives up to what Apple have written, it looks like its going to be great.

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow. Xcode 4 is the buggiest piece of GM Apple software I've ever used. And when my code does something strange, I'm not an experienced enough developer to know if something is my fault or the fault of the IDE :) (Developer forums seem to concur on how buggy it is, crashing doing simple things like copying and pasting, etc. Some people went as far to suggest Apple should start over!).

Since they're releasing it, maybe they know something I don't - who knows maybe some rogue preference somewhere that only some people have lying around makes it unstable. I guess I'll have to try using it on a clean install of Mac OS X to make sure that's not the case.

Well, since they're only releasing it today, it was before now, by definition, not release software. Therefore it's not surprising there are bugs. I'm asking you how you can make a judgement on this software yet.

And what's with the $5?

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
XCode will probably be like iLife. Free with a new mac, and you get regular updates. But a major upgrade will cost.

Not a big deal, because unlike iLife, Xcode switches major versions every few years.

That being said, I don't understand why Apple would charge for it. Makes no sense. They will probably bring in a few thousand dollars in revenue at best (since its free to folks on fhte Mac/iOS dev programs).

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I voted negative, it was free indeed and gave the opportunity to more will-be developers to try it out and make software, myself included.

Maybe they spent a lot on this release with including LLVM compiler and all, so they felt like they deserved some fee. Or they are greedy.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
I don't get the hate for the $5 download. If you're interested, it's $5. Less than a combo meal from a fast food restaurant. If you're serious about it, you're going to become an ADC member anyways to get full access to all that it offers, which is only $99 a year.

And if you ARE an ADC Member, it's free. So... :confused:

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
It's a bit of a shame to charge $5, but I suspect it's only for people who want the next version. It will probably come free with new Macs as it always has.
I also wonder if it's only free for paid developer accounts because, as it stands, I'm on the free one.

IMPMAC

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Yes it cost money but if you are a developer then you should not mind. I don't

But I would prefer if it was cheap, at the end of the day, free is awesome.

Question is, what happens to XCode 3 if you get XCode 4? Does it get replaced?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
There are free levels to both iOS and Mac developer programs. I don't see anything in the announcement disqualifying these members (although I haven't read anything other than the OP yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.