Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9OOYO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
I'm thinking of hitting up the 16GB and am trying to get an idea of how much space apps take up.

Main function of the iPad will be comic books...LOL....I know. With the potential of buying the Garageband and IMovie apps for iPad I'm wondering how much they may bake up.

64GB is overkill IMO b/c another iPad will be out within 3 generations to replace this bad boy. but maybe not!

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I'm thinking of hitting up the 16GB and am trying to get an idea of how much space apps take up.

Main function of the iPad will be comic books...LOL....I know. With the potential of buying the Garageband and IMovie apps for iPad I'm wondering how much they may bake up.

64GB is overkill IMO b/c another iPad will be out within 3 generations to replace this bad boy. but maybe not!

There's no real answer - they range from a couple of MBs to 100s MBs depending on the app. Best thing to do is check out the apps you want in the iTunes store and see what they're weighing in at. Some big games such as Infinity Blade come in at over half a gig.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I would venture to say your "average" user probably doesn't have more than a couple GB's of apps. But then again your average user basically plays Angry Birds, Surfs the Internet, and checks email on their iPad so they wouldn't use a lot of space.

I have a 32GB iPad, that I have probably 50+ applications of various types, 4GB of music and 15-20 movies (using about 8-9GB) on it with no space issues.

Edit: And yes one of the games is Infinity Blade.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
To show you how much space say games take up here is a list of my games currently installed and taking up 29gb of the app share on my iPad.

These are all bought apps, no lite versions and certainly no pirate applications. It's the main reason I'll never leave the iOS for Android because of the investment in Apps.

I bought a lot of these when they are on special pricing.

N.O.V.A
N.O.V.A 2
Brother In Arms 2
Shadow Guardian
Splinter Cell
Prince of Persia warrior within
Prince of Persia classic
Spiderman
Zombie Infection
Eternal Legacy
Heroes of Sparta 2
Dungeon Hunter
Let's Golf 2
Real Tennis
Real Football
The Settlers
Galaxy On Fire 2
Star Battalion
Dead Space
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
Need For Speed Shift
Real Racing HD
Reckless Racing HD
Madden NFL
Tetris
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Snood
Pictureka
Mirror's Edge
Simcity DLX
Scrabble
Monopoly
Risk
World of Goo
Dungeon Defender
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
1112ep.01 HD
1112ep.02 HD
Drawn
Broken Sword
Broken Sword 2
Lara Croft guardians of light
Aralon HD
The Stone of Destiny
Chaos Rings
Across Age HD
Puzzle Agent
Max's Adventures
Infinity Blade
Vampire Origins Reloaded
Hero Project
Age of Zombies
Aqua Moto 2
Bit.trip.beat
Dino Cap
Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior
Labyrinth 2 HD
PacMan
Ozone HD
Pinball HD
Super Monkey Ball 2
Splode
Touch Grind HD
The Hero HD
Who wants to be a millionaire 2011
Rocketeer HD
Word Storm
Babylonian Twins HD
Plunderland
Banzai
MaxExplosion
Canabalt
Bugdom 2
SugarRush HD
The Incident
CC Caveman
Azkend HD
Enigmo 2
Aurora Faint 3
Babo Crash
Cogs HD
Jumbeline 2
Jigsaw
Hexius
Little Things
UNO
IMahjong
iPacross
WordGeek
Aqua Panic DX
Angry Birds
Angry Birds Seasons
Cut The Rope HD
geared 2
Slice It
Trucks & Skulls
Arriving HD
Tiki Towers
Edge
Demolition M
ZenBound 2
By Xmas HD
Plants Versus Zombies
Worms HD
conquist
Stick Golf
Flight Control HD
RAGE
Radiant HD
Geometry Wars HD
InfinityGene
Meteor Blitz
Osmos HD
Space Station
Spirit HD
Chopper 2
Roswell
Death worm
Nano Fighter
Space Miner HD
Revolt
Isotope

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I'm going from the 32GB model to the 64GB and comics is a big reason why. I use Comic Zeal and like to have a pretty good library of comics on the device. I'm currently using probably almost 10GB for comics, with the rest being apps and media. I want more space for both comics, PDFs (magazines), and movies/TV.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
This is a good thread. I'm going with the 16gb (more like 14GB) and am having a really hard time not upgrading to a 32GB.

I plan to have NO movies. NO music. 2-3GBS in photos. So that leaves me with around 11gb to play with.

I heard that magazines can take from anywhere to 500mb to 800gbs and combined with the new imovie + garageband + 2 cameras to record videos......the 16gb is looking a little iffy.

I do play to jailbreak and buy the camera connection kit to store videos on the SD card.......but you can't store apps on there. Infinity blade is already 800mb in size, and with the success of that game and the new power of the iPad 2......I can only see games using much more memory for high res textures in the future.

32GB is just too expensive though! $530 taxed vs 630 taxed.

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
This is a good thread. I'm going with the 16gb (more like 14GB) and am having a really hard time not upgrading to a 32GB.

I plan to have NO movies. NO music. 2-3GBS in photos. So that leaves me with around 11gb to play with.

I heard that magazines can take from anywhere to 500mb to 800gbs and combined with the new imovie + garageband + 2 cameras to record videos......the 16gb is looking a little iffy.

I do play to jailbreak and buy the camera connection kit to store videos on the SD card.......but you can't store apps on there. Infinity blade is already 800mb in size, and with the success of that game and the new power of the iPad 2......I can only see games using much more memory for high res textures in the future.

32GB is just too expensive though! $530 taxed vs 630 taxed.

Well if you look at it from the perspective of it being only $100 more to get double the storage, it doesn't seem as expensive. You can pretty much be assured you'll be wanting more space the more you use the device, and you'll be using it a lot.

Also I'm not sure how a magazine would be 500mb unless its interactive with a ton of embedded video. Most magazine PDF files I've seen are in the 40-60MB range.

To show you how much space say games take up here is a list of my games currently installed and taking up 29gb of the app share on my iPad.

*snip*

123 games(I hope I'm not the only person who took the time to count... but now I can be the last :) )? A list is nice, but a number is just as good :)

so your avg game takes up 235.77MB. and If I get a 16gb (which I plan on) I can have 34 games to take up 8GB. That leaves a couple gigs for pics, couple gigs for music, and couple gigs for all other apps. The capacity is always more like 15gb than 16 so I need to build a slight buffer.

No that won't work, because I may need to put a movie or 2 on every once in a while. I'll need to buy less games.

Say I buy 20 games, that should be more than enough. That's 4.7gb. That's better

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Say I buy 20 games, that should be more than enough. That's 4.7gb. That's better

The problem is the games are like pokemon, you have to collect them all ;) but seriously it's just too tempting to pick up a game when you see it reduced from $7.99 to $.99

MacRumorUser how much have you spent on apps?

Seriously a lot. Add more expensive app titles like things, omnigraffle, and it adds up to a lot of money. I tend to keep an eye on appshopper to see if there is a price reduction, but more often than not I find when I browse it I usually end up buying an App that I had no intention of doing so beforehand after reading about it.

If I remove a game from my iPad do I lose all the backup information or is there a way to remove games (to free up space) but always resync them later from iTunes with game progression saved?

I believe your saved games are gone when you remove it from your iPad.

The problem is the games are like pokemon, you have to collect them all ;) but seriously it's just too tempting to pick up a game when you see it reduced from $7.99 to $.99

haha. Oh I know what you mean. I already have about 10 paid iPad apps (mostly games). Oh yeah, and I don't have an iPad! :p haha. I have been watching appshopper for a few months (mostly black friday and christmas sales) and pouncing on the best ones, because I concinved myself a LONG time ago that I was going to buy the iPad 2. :p

Why oh why couldn't apple have dropped the 16gb model and lowered the 32gb to $500...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.