Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfkilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I have a macbook pro 10.5.8 version and an HP wireless printer 4500 series. They worked great together until I got a CISCO router. Now I can only print with the USB cord attached. I am not a tech person AT ALL so I do not know how to begin to fix this.
I tried to delete the printer and let it search for the printer again, but no printer would show up until I plugged it back in. I went to the screen to add the printer IP and when I filled in the number that I thought was the printer IP address, it did not find anything.
Any suggestions?

Today I deleted the printer and went to the HP site and downloaded the driver and reinstalled it. During the installation it asked me to connect it with the USB cable. It also said it had successfully connected wirelessly. Once I unplugged the USB cable it said the printer was offline and didn't work.

Last edited:

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
can you print to the printer wirelessly from any other computer or device on your network?

If no, then double check your printer's network settings, and make sure it's connected to your new router.

What model router is it by Cisco?

sfkilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
It is a E2000.
I don't know where to check the printer network settings. Can you tell me how to do that? I looked at the print and fax option under the system preferences and in my network settings everything looks correct. Is there another place to look?
Thanks,

sfkilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
The printer is an HP Photosmart C4580. It was purchased at the same time as my Macbook. When I set up my Macbook and printer together the first time, they both worked fine. The printer is wireless so it should just detect my router and computer. I have even reinstalled the printer software and when it was plugged in-- I got a message that it was connected wirelessly BUT IT IS NOT!!!

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
The printer is an HP Photosmart C4580. It was purchased at the same time as my Macbook. When I set up my Macbook and printer together the first time, they both worked fine. The printer is wireless so it should just detect my router and computer. I have even reinstalled the printer software and when it was plugged in-- I got a message that it was connected wirelessly BUT IT IS NOT!!!

Okay, you need to go into your printer's settings via the little screen on the printer itself. There should be a menu button, some arrow keys and an OK or Enter button as well to navigate with.

In the settings look for Network or Wireless Network settings. You want to make sure that the printer is connecting to your new router.

Is your new router SSID (wireless signal name) the same as the old one. Assuming you are using security encryption on your router to connect, is the passphrase the same as the old one as well?

If not, then you need to tell your printer to connect using the new information.

Once it's connected, you should be able to find it via your Mac's Printer and Fax Settings in System Preferences.

While the manual doesn't mention doing a configuration this way, it should be able to be done.

From the HP Manual: To change from USB to Wireless, start the
Setup Assistant, select your device and click
Continue . Select Confi gure your device for
a wireless network , click Continue , and follow
the instructions.

See if that helps at all.

sfkilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I did everything you told me to do. I ran a diagnostic test and it says the wireless is on and working. BUT IT WON'T print wirelessly. I even went in to the advanced settings and put in the manual IP address,subnet mask, etc. Nothing changed.
It is a big mystery. Thank you so much for all you've done to try to help me. I think it is a lost cause. The printer thinks it is wireless but I always get a printer is offline message when I try to print wirelessly. The only place on the computer I know to check is in the print and fax section---if that is it, then I am out of options.
Thanks again!!
Sherri

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Couple more questions...can you print if you plug into the printer with the USB cable?

If yes, then when you open Print and Fax Preferences, do you see the printer listed once or twice?

On my Kodak I have it listed twice, once for when I am connected via the USB cable, and once for when I'm connected Wirelessly. The names are different for it, but it doesn't specify wireless...I just had to select it. Once I was sure which one was wireless, I set it as my default printer.

Thanks

sfkilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Yes, I can print with the USB cable and yes, there are two listed. I have selected the printer and the proper connection in the printer utility, and it STILL won't print wirelessly!!!
I am speechless.
You are a real trooper!!
thanks for trying!
Sherri

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Yes, I can print with the USB cable and yes, there are two listed. I have selected the printer and the proper connection in the printer utility, and it STILL won't print wirelessly!!!
I am speechless.
You are a real trooper!!
thanks for trying!
Sherri

Sorry I couldn't help more, but If I come up with anything else I'll hollar.

Brian

samsuki

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Same problem

I have the exact same problem, with Macbook, OS 10.6.6. Photosmart Wireless Printer B109, worked perfect wirelessly until I changed router. Now will not work wirelessly, only if i plug in USB. Another Windows PC is networked to it and works perfetly. I have tried all of your suggestions also, with no luck.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.