Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteyV

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I've been thinking about downloading an uninstaller application like AppZapper but I was wondering how it actually works. If I have DivX installed and I want to uninstall it can I just put it into the appzapper and it will do a clean uninstall or should I just run the uninstall program that it comes with when downloading. DivX. Same goes for any program that comes with an uninstall icon. Also, is appzapper a good uninstaller or are there better ones out there?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items
Hazel missed 9 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

webjib

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Hi,
I'm TrashMe developer. If for one of your applications, there're some related files that TrashMe can't find, please give me feedback here or through my website. I've done a lot of tests and comparison with similar software, and most of the time TrashMe finds more files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Trashme removes more stuff than Appzapper and appdelete. I did try em all 3..
I've done a lot of tests and comparison with similar software, and most of the time TrashMe finds more files.
Refer to post #2. It's not a matter of finding more files than another app. It's a matter of removing ALL files related to an app. Many times, the files left behind are much larger than the files removed. The manual method is more complete in cleaning app files and folders than any removal app.

webjib

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Could you give me one or two examples ?
If every developer follow Apple Guidelines, then uninstaller will find every related file. Large related files are often located in "Application Support" and TrashMe does know how to remove those files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could you give me one or two examples ?
If every developer follow Apple Guidelines, then uninstaller will find every related file. Large related files are often located in "Application Support" and TrashMe does know how to remove those files.
I already gave one example in that post... using Skype as the app to be removed. Read the thread I posted a link to on fully deleting apps. There's a more in-depth discussion there.

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppDelete missed 8 items
Hazel missed 9 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

Agreed! I use (and only use) the wonderful, universally praised EasyFind :)D), and then search for the app./software company. It misses nothing.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
AppDelete missed 8 items
Hazel missed 9 items​

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Ok, so i just installed 3 games from mac app store and since i didn't like them, i wanted to give the GGJstudios's method a try.
I tried to use finder. Set up the same search parameteres as from screenshots.
The games were:
McSolitaire
Solitaire Greatest Hits
A Monster Ate My Homework

If i type solitaire, i get Solitaire Greatest Hits .app and com files (com.fontaine.solitaire) and also McSolitaire .app. So where are it's COM files? I had to type mcsolitaire to get them. Well now the worse thing: If i type monster or homework, i only get APP file for A monster ate my homework. To get the com files, i had to use the Developer name: Geek Beach. (the files were com.geekbeach.amonsteratemyhomework...)
So how the hell does this manual search work??
Ah and i didn't speak about BOM files for these games... Remove or not?

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
Look at steps 4, 5 and 6.

Yes, you can remove BOM files.

As i said previously, i followed the guide correctly, so the steps:

4. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
5. Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"
6. Click the "don't include" and change to "include"

are the same i did. I did include system files and that does not explain why did i have to use developers name to find COM files even if the APP name was inside that file too. so actually in my house, if i search for MONSTER i should get file com.geekbeach.amonsteratemyhomework and not only if i search for GEEK.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I did include system files and that does not explain why did i have to use developers name to find COM files even if the APP name was inside that file too. so actually in my house, if i search for MONSTER i should get file com.geekbeach.amonsteratemyhomework and not only if i search for GEEK.
If the app name is in the file, it should have found it. Perhaps you need to reindex your drive. As you can see, you may have to vary search terms in some rare cases, since it's possible that an app may use a different name for some components, such as the developer name. In most cases, however, the files should be easy to find by the app name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.