Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131951-justin_ipad_2_tent.jpg

Apple Stores and Online

Apple announced this morning that they would begin taking online orders for the iPad 2 at 1:00 AM Pacific Time / 4:00 AM Eastern Time. Unfortunately, it looks like there will not be an option to reserve an iPad 2 for in store pickup, which means you'll have to wait for the iPad 2 to be delivered. So, if you are hoping to pick one up on launch day, online ordering won't help.

With every major product launch, Apple retail stores tend to get the best supplied but also the most crowded. If you want to get an iPad 2 on launch day, and don't mind standing in line, an Apple Retail store is your best bet.

Local Apple Retail stores can be found online. The iPad 2 will go on sale starting at 5 PM local time and Apple is offering free personal setup to customers.

Best Buy

BestBuy has posted a FAQ about their iPad 2 sales. BestBuy will not be offering online sales at launch. They will implement a "ticket system" at their retail stores. Tickets will be handed out at 4:30 PM local time on March 11th. These tickets will be used to get an iPad 2. Presumably they will be giving out only as many tickets as they have iPad 2s, so you won't needlessly wait in line if stock runs out.

BestBuy also says that only BestBuy Stores with "Apple Areas" are going to be carrying the 3G models, so that is something to consider if you are interested in the 3G model. Several readers have also noted that their BestBuy's are limiting customers to one iPad 2 per customer. We've heard mixed reports but many Best Buy stores seem to be getting ~100 different models of the iPad 2 in stock for launch day.

Wal Mart and Target

Both Wal-Mart and Target tend to be a bit less organized with major product launches. Reader reports indicate that some of the stores don't even know if they are getting stock for launch, while others report only a handful of units. This could serve to your advantage depending on the store. One reader reports that they saw an iPad 2 on the shelves today, but weren't able to buy it:I was surprised to find the new models on the same shelf. Black only (at my rural walmart.) I didn't check to see all the models available, but they definitely had the 16 and 32g in both Wifi and 3G varieties. They may have had more. They only had a few out. Sorry, I didn't count them.

I asked to buy one. The nice lady behind the electronics counter opened the case, pulled the 16gWifi out for me, and began to ring me up. I was really excited. BUT, the system notified her that she couldn't sell them yet. She (mis)informed me that if I came back after midnight tonight I could get one. We'll see.
195954-Screen-Shot-2011-03-11-at-00.32.38_500.png

Photo of iPad 2 at Walmart via RazorianFly

AT&T / Verizon

In line with Apple's plans, AT&T will begin taking online orders at 1:00 AM Pacific Time, with in-store availability set for 5:00 PM local time. Verizon appears to only be offering in-store sales at "select" retail stores beginning at 5:00 PM local time.

Contrary to early speculation, there's no activation fee for the Verizon data plans. One reader has posted the Verizon sales manual for the iPad 2.

Readers are organizing and sharing information about various locations in our iPad forums and launch meetup forum.

Article Link: Buying an iPad 2 on Launch Day

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I wonder how that guy smells camping there since the beginning of the week.

oh wait... actually, I dont want to know...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't think I would ever stay for days to get a new Apple product. Especially if they have online ordering.
Haha, that guy needs to wait till 5Pm, right?

murkurb

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
I'm surprised Walmart employees wouldn't know what's going on with the iPad 2 sales. :rolleyes:

MetalMoon

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
San Jose
And so the madness begins. I never really understand waiting in line just to be the first to have a new tech product, but good luck to those camping out.

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
too bad that apple is not selling brains yet!!!! oh, right...i forgott..who should buy all the overpriced **** then????

emwgradstudent

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
Updates:

Some updates from what I have learned from my local stores (just so you know, I live in a city with 20,000 college students at a major university, so it is not a small town):

1. Best Buy: Best Buy tells me that each store will receive a minimum of 5 of each color per model for the WiFi only (that means each store will have a minimum of 30 (6 models X 5)). My local Best Buy does not have an Apple Store so they are not getting 3G models.

2. AT&T: My local AT&T Store is sure they are getting some in, but they will not have them until tomorrow morning. They are unsure of how many and what colors.

3. Verizon: My local store will be able to order them only

4. Walmart: They have not opened to box to see what they have. They are certain, however, they will only have black.

5. Target: They had opened their shipment and they only have WiFi models. All black. He refused to give me a number.

6. There is a local authorized Apple dealer/repair shop and they ordered some of each model and color, but will not know if they will have any until tomorrow morning.

My nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, so I am hoping AT&T gets some white 3G models!

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
ordering from apple.com first thing when I wake up tomorrow.

No line and no hassle.
Sure, I'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for it to arrive at my house, but that's nothing lol :)

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
lol wow macrumors really??:rolleyes: after closing a thread, your going to show these people that guys tent now lol.... you brought these comments on yourselves :p

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
lol wow macrumors really??:rolleyes: After closing a thread, your going to show these people that guys tent now lol.... You brought these comments on yourselves :p

DUDE, if you're DETERMINED to write REAL BIG could you at least learn to punctuate?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'm surprised Walmart employees wouldn't know what's going on with the iPad 2 sales. :rolleyes:

Walmart is not know for the best service. Most of the employees are there in transition, not as a career. I'm sure they all will get a briefing at the start of their shift tomorrow morning and no sooner.

I am parking for a week or so on the iPad 2. When the dust settles and stores have the last of the odd smells flushed out, I'll head into the Los Gatos store right before evening shift change to pic one up. Then later, joke with a few of the Apple store employees about the first day geeks over drinks at the Black Watch up the street.

JSmoove05

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2007
The timer on the top of the page shows 21 hours till Ipad goes on Sale if you order line isnt techinally 9 hours till it goes on sale?

Louis24x7

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
And so the madness begins. I never really understand waiting in line just to be the first to have a new tech product, but good luck to those camping out.

To me, waiting in line for the iPad 2 isn't really about being the first to have a new tech product. With my luck, it was like the original iPad, I chose to not wait in line early, and was sold out in all the Apple stores around my area, and I had to wait 45 days before I finally got mine.

It was supposed to be a birthday present for my wife, which ended up about 40 days late. This year, I am content on giving her birthday present on time. I can't last on charm and witty forever... At least not two years in a row.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.