Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Make sure that you're using heading styles for those items that you want in your table of contents, then you can just apply a table of contents.

Both of those links are from the Word 2008 help files. I found the first one by searching for "heading style" (since I wasn't sure if you had those in your document already), and the second by searching for "table of contents". Please use the buttons at the bottom of the help file ("was this information helpful?") to tell us if that information was actually helpful to you -- if you tell us that it wasn't, we have the chance to update the help to make it better in the future.

Regards,
Nadyne.

uplusd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Silicon Valley
Make sure that you're using heading styles for those items that you want in your table of contents, then you can just apply a table of contents.

Both of those links are from the Word 2008 help files. I found the first one by searching for "heading style" (since I wasn't sure if you had those in your document already), and the second by searching for "table of contents". Please use the buttons at the bottom of the help file ("was this information helpful?") to tell us if that information was actually helpful to you -- if you tell us that it wasn't, we have the chance to update the help to make it better in the future.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Hello Nadyne,

Thanks for your response. I already have heading styles and have inserted the TOC into my document. However, the TOC is not clickable. When I click on a heading title in the TOC, it just "greys" the entire TOC.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I already have heading styles and have inserted the TOC into my document. However, the TOC is not clickable. When I click on a heading title in the TOC, it just "greys" the entire TOC.

That grey highlighting probably means that you've done it right. :) When you click on the TOC, you should see that it has a grey highlight, a light blue outline around it, and towards the top of the TOC, a "Table of Contents" menu at the top of it. If you click on that menu, you can then make some updates to your TOC (such as if you've rearranged sections or added some content).

Which reminds me: when you're working with a TOC, the best way to ensure that it's complete and correct is to insert it last. If you make any changes to your document after you've inserted the TOC, then the absolute last thing you should do before sending or printing your document is to update your TOC.

When you send the document to other people, and they want to be able to click on the link in the TOC to take them to the correct section, click on the page number. The click space is sometimes rather small, so if you get the highlight, click off of it and then try to click on the page number again.

Regards,
Nadyne.

kharisma

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
MS Word for Mac TOC not clickable

I have created the TOC using Insert > Index and Tables ...
I also use heading styles in my documents.

When I used to use a PC, the TOC was always clickable.

I've never been able to create a clickable TOC in the Mac version of Word.

Yes, it is greyed, but not clickable.
Yes, I always use heading styles

There has to be something else going on other than what is posted here.
The same process that always worked on a PC does not work on my Mac.

:( don't get me wrong - I love my Mac - it just won't do this one thing :)

Danilo K

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Clickable TOC

Hi,

You need to click on the Page Number.

Not on the Heading Text.

This threw me for a while too.

Note: Nadyne did mention this in their last post.

Thanks
Danilo

pacificgold

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
word 2008: TOC hyperlinks still not working

Hi,

Thanks for all the above info. I've done all that, and I'm afraid the hyperlinks are still not working, not even on the page numbers.

I'm running Word 2008, on Snowleopard.

Help please! I'd love to figure out how to fix this problem!

Cheers!

sasha22

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Clickable TOC

If TOC is done correctly, click on page number with fn key depressed. It works for me on Mac OS X with Word 2008 for Mac.

kharisma

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
I find that the clickable region is quite small, slightly to the left of the number, not the number itself. I don't need to hold the function key at all.

I also have Snow Leopard.

eric46

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
TOC in Mac Word

in Word for Mac 2008: Go to <Insert> on main menu bar and choose <Document Elements> and then <Table of Contents>. In order for this to work, you need to have highlighted chapter headings, etc. within the document itself. To do this go to <Format> and choose <Style>. You need to use a highlight phrases using a heading style to distinguish what shows up in the TOC.

kharisma

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
@eric46

We all know how to create a TOC - what we are talking about is making it clickable on a Mac, just as it is in Windows.

Try actually reading the thread before you post.

LynnOst

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
I found a workaround

I saved my Mac Word 2008 file in compatibility mode, copied it to my flash drive, went to a Windows machine and opened it in Word for Windows. There I was able to insert the linked TOC. When I opened the file again on my Mac, the linked TOC is still there.

LynnOst

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Clickable TOC

Yes, totally clickable, even when I open the Word doc on my Mac. No page numbers show on the TOC because when I inserted the TOC on Windows version of Word, I was able to choose "use hyperlinks instead of page numbers."

Very strange that Word 2008 for Mac doesn't have this choice for TOC.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I was able to create a clickable Word 2008 Mac TOC using the basic process for the application. However, I did notice that the links are very sporadic in terms of functioning. That is, sometimes clicking them works, sometimes it doesn't.

They appear to be very sensitive to where specifically you click, even though "the hand" is always present over the number.

maw8

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Mac Word 2008 - updating a TOC

I am a new forum member and having enormous problem with Mac Word 2008 TOC - I have read forum messages, googled for solutions - but am stuck. I have a formatted Word doc with TOC etc - but I cannot update the TOC using F9 or any other method. I can update it using a PC and then return to using Mac but I cannot update it on my Mac - I cannot work out how to get the dialogue box which gives me the option to update whole table or part table - I can do this with same doc on a PC - I used to be able to do this with previous version of Word on my Mac by highlighting the TOC - using F9 then the dialogue vox would appear. Any solutions most appreciated. I have tried the ideas already described in this Forum but so far, no success

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I am a new forum member and having enormous problem with Mac Word 2008 TOC - I have read forum messages, googled for solutions - but am stuck. I have a formatted Word doc with TOC etc - but I cannot update the TOC using F9 or any other method. I can update it using a PC and then return to using Mac but I cannot update it on my Mac - I cannot work out how to get the dialogue box which gives me the option to update whole table or part table - I can do this with same doc on a PC - I used to be able to do this with previous version of Word on my Mac by highlighting the TOC - using F9 then the dialogue vox would appear. Any solutions most appreciated. I have tried the ideas already described in this Forum but so far, no success
Information! Your TOC works on Windows PC but not in Word 2008. Among the information that you did not share:
  • Which version of Word was used to create the document?
  • Which format is the file--.doc? .docx? .rtf? What?
  • Why are you fixated on the [F9] function key? As a rule of thumb, Mac applications don't rely on function keys. The TOC dialog box makes no reference to [F9] as a keyboard shortcut. The Word Help menu does not mention [F9].
  • What do you mean by "any other method'?
  • Have you tried [control]-clicking on the TOC and then clicking Update Field as stated in the Help file?
Information!

kharisma

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
I have read forum messages, googled for solutions

Did you look up Word Help?

For some reason they say to hold down the Control button, but really, all you have to do is right-click and select Update Field from the dialog box.

staplegunfairy

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
Sorry to dig this up

Hi All,

Sorry for replying to such an old thread. I was having a similar problem and got this in my search query.

Instead of clicking just to the left of the page number, any of the space between the header title and the page number should work. So if you have a bunch of dots, then click on the bunch of dots.

Hope that helps someone!

Staplegun

roser

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Some advice on TOC issues and another problem

Hi,

Also sorry to add to such an old thread...I found that if you click on the page when the blue (editing) box is not surrounding the Table of Contents (this requires some sensitive hovering), it will jump to the matching page.

However, can anyone help me with this issue? I have selected heading styles for each of my headings (it gets complicated because I have 5 levels of headings), but the TOC only pulls up the first heading style (i.e. it will only pull up the chapter title and 1.1 but not 1.1.1 or 1.1.1.1).

Thanks!

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
This might not be helpful but you should consider trying Tex/LaTex. It's professional typesetting and it's free. It takes care of all numbering, TOC, references, etc., automatically. You just have a learn a couple of commands to get started.

MockingMantra

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Daft

I have discovered - get this - if you click on the tab mark between the text entry and the number in the TOC it works. Sometimes you must click on the arrow head in order for the link to activate.

HAAAAAAAAA- Microsoft - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - Apple - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - 2008 - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - Word Processing - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - Arguably the most basic application in popular computer usage - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - still managing to mess it up.

Maybe it's not that funny.................................

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.