Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I just noticed a small, thin-layer of something on the trackpad. Using an eyeglass cloth isn't getting it off. I don't want to scrub for fear of damaging the trackpad. Any advice? Should I spray eyeglass cleaner on the cloth and try wipe it off? Do I do it with the MacBook Pro turned off? Please advise. Thanks. :)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I just noticed a small, thin-layer of something on the trackpad. Using an eyeglass cloth isn't getting it off. I don't want to scrub for fear of damaging the trackpad. Any advice? Should I spray eyeglass cleaner on the cloth and try wipe it off? Do I do it with the MacBook Pro turned off? Please advise. Thanks. :)

Have you tried reading Apples' cleaning instructions?

e.g. "Cleaning. To clean the outside of your trackpad, use a lint-free cloth. Don’t get moisture in any openings or use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives."

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I just put some rubbing alcohol on a tissue and clean my MBP and it always gets everything off. I do it both with the MBP on or off, it doesn't really matter.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Have you tried reading Apples' cleaning instructions?

e.g. "Cleaning. To clean the outside of your trackpad, use a lint-free cloth. Don’t get moisture in any openings or use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives."
I did that but the stuff didn't come off the trackpad.

SHADO said:
I just put some rubbing alcohol on a tissue and clean my MBP and it always gets everything off. I do it both with the MBP on or off, it doesn't really matter.
Does that include the trackpad?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI

That's similar to what I do. I take a small spray bottle, fill it halfway with 91% isopropyl alcohol and halfway with water. Then I spray that solution on a microfiber cloth, and clean the computer. I can't do this anymore since I got a skin for my MBP, and I found that the alcohol appears to burn the skin. But it hadn't damaged the trackpad, aluminum or glass screen before I got the skin. I would use it if it was on or off, it doesn't matter. I still use it on the screen and trackpad, because I don't have a skin on either of those.

capone99

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Follow Macintosh instructions.....(Almost!)

What worked for me, after I got some sugar syrup on my trackpad, was to use the OEM iPad/PowerBook Cleaning spray and a iKlear Lint Free Cloth or some Generic Screen Cleaning Solution and the same cloth. You spray some cleaner onto a small swatch of cloth, than gently rub it over the entire trackpad, making sure you get into the grooves around the perimeter and around the trackpad touch switch. You have to use the liquid quite liberally to remove any 'sticky' liquid residue but as long as you do not spray the touch pad directly, a little patience usually does the trick. You have to use a solution that will not damage the plastic or leave a residue so the OEM cleaner is best. The Macbook should be OFF as well.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
It has been said that a certain solution of alcohol and water (probably what was mentioned by AlphaDogg) works well, but honestly I just use plain old water. I would recommend not spraying anything directly on what you want to clean, spray or soak what you are cleaning with and then make sure it is less than damp.

I run a paper towel under the water and then squeeze as much liquid as I can out of it, and carefully wipe the monitor, and brush over the keys and trackpad. It works well for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.