Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've done some googling and I can't find the exact weight. I've ordered a gorgeous Grove case that weighs 200g/7 ounces and I'm think the Smart Cover will weigh more than I expect.

Can someone weigh it or give me the weight please?

Thanks

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
I've done some googling and I can't find the exact weight. I've ordered a gorgeous Grove case that weighs 200g/7 ounces and I'm think the Smart Cover will weigh more than I expect.

Can someone weigh it or give me the weight please?

Thanks

Does it seriously matter? It's so light it's stupid if it matters.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
So you own one and you know it's light? Or are you just guessing..

Yes I own one. The black leather one. It's ridiculous to even matter in weight. Can't tell a difference in weight with it on or off.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
Yes I own one. The black leather one. It's ridiculous to even matter in weight. Can't tell a difference in weight with it on or off.

Alright, thanks. I read a review that said they thought it weighed almost as much as the iPad itself so I was a little worried.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Don't listen to that guy, the cover does have some noticeable weight to it.

I just weighed it on my postal scale and it comes in at 4.8oz, so just over a 1/4 lb. The iPad itself weights 1lb 5.2oz, so you're looking at a 18% increase in weight with the cover on.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
Don't listen to that guy, the cover does have some noticeable weight to it.

I just weighed it on my postal scale and it comes in at 4.8oz, so just over a 1/4 lb. The iPad itself weights 1lb 5.2oz, so you're looking at a 18% increase in weight with the cover on.

Thanks a lot for the proper reply! I thought it'd be a reasonable weight.

I'm gonna go with the other case since it's only 7 oz and it's bamboo, same smart cover front design and protects the back. Not to mention it looks amazing.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Jesus Christ you guys need to hit the gym if 4.8oz's labors your muscles lolol. Good gawd.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
seriously this smart cover is lighter than any other cover out there and so much useful and adds coolness and usefulness to it.

Just get it and you will love it.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
Jesus Christ you guys need to hit the gym if 4.8oz's labors your muscles lolol. Good gawd.

Quit being a douche. If you'd answered the question properly in the first place then that'd be the end of it, all I wanted to know was the weight. As I expected it was almost as heavy as a complete case.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
What do you want to know Freddy? I've read dozens of reviews...

The Grove case looks sweet, but I don't want to add the bulk. 7oz for a wood case and folding leather 'smart' cover is pretty amazing. I did read a review once (I think here on MR) that they case didn't stand up to a drop, but better the case goes than the iPad, I suppose.

Light
Strong
Awesome looking

Pick any two :)

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I actually think this is a valid concern. The iPad 2 is more appealing to me because of the lighter weight. You can definitely tell the difference when reading for long periods. The device isn't heavy in absolute terms, but it's definitely noticeably heavier with the cover. I'm beginning to find that I prefer the weight of the iPad 2 without the cover.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have to say I don't really notice a weight difference with the Smart Cover on. Sure, it's not totally weightless, but it's like -- if you are reading a 200 page book, would it really make that much of a difference compared to reading a 150 page book?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I have to say I don't really notice a weight difference with the Smart Cover on. Sure, it's not totally weightless, but it's like -- if you are reading a 200 page book, would it really make that much of a difference compared to reading a 150 page book?

Fair enough. Like all things Apple, many of us tend to overanalyze this stuff. When I actually sit down to read on the thing, it probably won't matter whether or not the smart cover is on.

mtnclimber

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2012
Ignorant people

I am amazed at how people assume things they know nothing about. I am a mountain climber and extremely fit. I climb the 14,000 ft plus mountains in Colorado year around -- yes even in winter. Along with food, water, ice axe and extra clothing, I also haul an HF radio, an iPad, a battery, and an antenna up the mountain for making international contacts. There is a whole radio sport with awards for these achievements. EVERY OUNCE matters!!!! I too am curious about the EXACT weight. Grams would be more precise than ounces.

For all you know, Mkz may suffer from severe arthritis. Maybe he lost a hand in battle in Iraq. The point is you don't know why he wants to know the weight. Stop being jerks and either answer the guy's question or keep quiet.

----------

Is this forum moderated? Why is the moderator allowing jerks to post stupid and insulting comments that add nothing to the thread?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
leather cover is 142 grams.

The package says the polyurethane cover is 68 grams.

Ymmv

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I am amazed at how people assume things they know nothing about. I am a mountain climber and extremely fit. I climb the 14,000 ft plus mountains in Colorado year around -- yes even in winter. Along with food, water, ice axe and extra clothing, I also haul an HF radio, an iPad, a battery, and an antenna up the mountain for making international contacts. There is a whole radio sport with awards for these achievements. EVERY OUNCE matters!!!! I too am curious about the EXACT weight. Grams would be more precise than ounces.

For all you know, Mkz may suffer from severe arthritis. Maybe he lost a hand in battle in Iraq. The point is you don't know why he wants to know the weight. Stop being jerks and either answer the guy's question or keep quiet.

----------

Is this forum moderated? Why is the moderator allowing jerks to post stupid and insulting comments that add nothing to the thread?

And how exactly did your response benefit this thread?

Ignorant people calling people ignorant...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.