Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
An article today in DigiTimes reports on Apple's Taiwanese contractors, saying that Foxconn Electronics (also known as Hon Hai Precision Industry) is contracted to manufacture and ship 100,000 or more Mac minis per month and that Asustek is contracted to manufacture and ship up to 400,000 to 500,000 iPod shuffles per month.

Almost as an afterthought, the article mentions that Asustek, which has been manufacturing and shipping iBook G4s at the rate of 110,000 to 120,000 per month, is to begin shipping an iBook G5 in the second quarter of 2005.

An accompanying chart shows again that Asustek is to delivery iBook G5s in 2005 Q2 (quantity 100,000 to 125,000 per month across both iBook model lines), and also that Quanta Computer is to deliver PowerBook G5s (quantity 30,000 to 50,000 per month) by the same quarter (2005 Q2).

Related stories:Jan 2005 Flash iPod at MacWorld Expo?Dec 2004 ASUSTeK to Manufacture Flash iPods?Dec 2003 Apple's 17-inch PowerBook ProductionOct 2003 Quanta to Produce New iMacs

ssamani

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
UK
New Powerbooks Next Tue...

I'm sure its been said before on one of the other threads, but for this one....

New Powerbooks Next Tuesday.... :)

mkwilson68

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Rubbish

There's no way they will move the ibook to a G5: they must be putting every effort into a PB G5, and would bemuch less concerned about the ibook. There is HUGE pent up demand for a much faster PB: when they get a G5 out of the door, the profits will soar again, and they know it.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mkwilson68 said:
There's no way they will move the ibook to a G5: they must be putting every effort into a PB G5, and would bemuch less concerned about the ibook. There is HUGE pent up demand for a much faster PB: when they get a G5 out of the door, the profits will soar again, and they know it.

Look at the current lines and both lines sell well. :)

iBook G5 will be released at 1.6Ghz and the PowerBooks at 2.0GHz+

There is a gap. :)

The PowerBook will be released at WWDC and the iBook at MacWorld in Aug/Sept. :) Full circle as the iMac G5 was released in Aug/Sept 2004 as will the iBook G5. :)

PowerMac G5 was released at WWDC 2003. so it makes sense that the PowerBook G5 be released also at WWDC 2005. :)

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
mkwilson68 said:

I would have thought we would be waiting at least a year from the PB going G5 before the iBook follows. The iBook only went G4 in late 2003 I think. (A long time after the PB.)

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
Hmmm, very weird that these charts are made public. And without the author saying ANYTHING about the G5 laptops on this chart..

When is the 2nd quarter of 2005, is that the fiscal quarter or april to june?

In the conference call, they said it was a huge technical challenge to put a G5 in a laptop, and I'm sure it will, but I bet they have been working on it for over a year, or even since the intro of the G5 chip.

And since they said at the last conference call, that they weren't gonna compete in the low-end pc market..well.. we all know how that turned out didn't we?

Hoping it's true (i'll be buying a *book when I leave home, to be mobile around the house and on vacation)

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
This sounds too weird to be true, probably just a typo. I can't find the availability date for the Freescale MPC7448, this is the pin-compatible drop-in replacement for the current G4 and is likely to be released soonish. I think that was supposed to be available early 2005. And given that Apple just released results for "fiscal 2005 first quarter ended December 25, 2004", I'm picking we may already be in Q2? This would indicate the speed-bump PowerBooks are due to be released soon and are likely to incorporate the MPC7448.

Also, given CFO Peter Oppenheimer' comments about when to expect a PowerBook G5 vis "right now, it would be the mother of all challenges", I don't think it's worth getting anyone's hopes up. Of course he could be deliberately being evasive, nothing hurts current sales as bad as announcing a new product early, as Adam Osborne discovered. And lets face it, the CFO is going to be the least likely person at Apple to make that kind of gaff. Plus he doesn't actually say it's not going to happen, he just suggests it would be very hard.

But it's great to get the PB rumours rolling again. My TiBook 667 is getting a mite long in the tooth and I'm determined to wait for a PB that doesn't have a garden hose for a FSB.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
As I said in the other thread, I am not too sure if I would want a first gen. G5 PB, especially not with all the cooling problems they had.
If it is available this year though, it would make a really nice 2nd gen. in March or April 2006 when I would upgrade my rev. c :rolleyes:
The faster they get the first gen out the faster I get my 2nd gen. :D

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i suspect its starting manufacture early so as to produce enough to meet initial demand...

would think the PBG5 would come out near the start of manufacture, cause delays in shipment because of the amout of demand, even more of a panic, then four or five months later, maybe september, october, as schools and universities start back, release the IBG5 and they get swallowed up as well.

cue huge profits matching the jump of this year's financial report!

:)

Cochrane

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
Germany
maya said:
Look at the current lines and both lines sell well. :)

As I understand it, the PowerBook isn't selling well. If both get G5 at the same time, even less people will say "I need a PowerBook because the iBook doesn't have enough power".

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Misunderstanding

Probably a typo or misunderstanding to do with contracts for the "next iBook" and "next PowerBook"... and someone assuming that both would be called G5. In fact, the PowerBook MIGHT get a G5 (I'm skeptical) but the iBook won't until later.

Imagine someone making the chart who doesn't know any better, and they have info on the old PowerBook G4 and the new PowerBook G5... and on the old iBook G4 and the new iBook G4. Easy to get that last 4 turned into a 5 in your mind maybe.

I'm skeptical of the whole thing, however.

Azerty

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Digitimes said "In addition, Asustek will also start shipping iBook G5 notebooks to Apple in the second quarter of this year." And then the chart shows the estimated yearly shipment volume for "iBook & iBook G5".

There is no typo. I'm under the impression that you don't want to question an assumed belief. :)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
no way

sorry, but there is no way they would ever release powerbook g5 and ibook g5 at the same time.

nope nope nope

not listening

Hob

SubGothius

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Tucson, AZ
When can we expect a PowerBook G5? "Right now..." :D

pigwin32 said:
...given CFO Peter Oppenheimer' comments about when to expect a PowerBook G5 vis "right now, it would be the mother of all challenges", I don't think it's worth getting anyone's hopes up. Of course he could be deliberately being evasive [...] the CFO is going to be the least likely person at Apple to make that kind of gaff...
Paging Dr. Freud, your slip is showing! :D It's kinda like reading Pravda back in Soviet days, when if you knew the "rules" of their censorship and spin and minded those to read between the lines, you could actually distill some semblance of "truth" ;) out of the overtly-released propaganda candy coating.

Adjust the punctuation and quoting continuity slightly, and the question, "When can we expect a PowerBook G5?" gets answered with, "Right now", says Oppenheimer; "It would be the mother of all challenges" -- a challenge they would have had to surmount already, if we are to start expecting PBG5 "Right now". ;) As for, "Don't get your hopes up", read: "Stop bogarting your cash and please meet your immediate PowerBook needs with a G4 now, thus helping us flush our distro channels of old PBG4s to make way for the new G5s". :D

As for same-year updates of both PB and iB to a G5, perhaps Apple figured they could save on development and recoup investment quicker by developing both G5 'Books off a common MoBo, with the iB spec simply "dumbed down" a bit, given the expected slower (read: cheaper) CPU with more modest GPU and port complement. Since the Mac mini and eMac are now covering the "Cheap-Ass Skinflint sector" with G4s, and the iMac is now serving the mainstream consumer segment with a G5 already, why not let the iBook follow that lead? Hafta wonder if this portends an uber-cheap "MacBook mini" based on the old iBook G4 MoBo (and/or Mac mini MoBo? It sure is tiny...). :D

But seriously, these 'Book G5 reports could just be misprints from ignorance or typos. [cough!] :cool:

gazmark

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2004
I thought that the G4 was in continued development for laptop use.
Dual and quad cores. If so where will those chips go? more eMacs and Minis?
It makes sense for a PB G5, especially if sales are on the skids.
But an iBook G5 in the same year seems a stretch, but not outside the realms of plausibility. It would pull the range up to a much better standard than it has been for a while, and sell some units. If MacWorld proved anything, its that buisness is king ring now, and a quality top end laptop would really sell.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A single typo, once made, can then be repeated multiple times. Just by looking and copying, or by copy/paste, or by the involvement of more than one person, one repeating another's mistake. I still see a typo as a possibility. SOME kind of misunderstanding, for sure.

propropro

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2004
Spain
I think... what about 1.8 and 2ghz low power G5 for PB and 1.6 max for the iBook? I'm sure a low power G5 is already designed (remember powertune?)and even sampled and will soon start production stage

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Don't believe it. Sounds too good to be true.

As people have already said, probably a typo.

Aren't IBM working on a low powered G5?

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
It would definitely be the Powerbook before the iBook. It has to either be a typo (in G4 vs. G5 or in iBook vs. Powerbook). This does lend promise to the fact that the PB G5 is coming, but by the second quarter? Can't be too hopeful of that.

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
Typos

Anybody who doesn't think this could be a typo and has read more than three posts on MacRumors is nuts...I would say 75+% of all posts have some sort of typo in them.

Translation:
Aneebody hoo don't think that cood bee an type-o ant was red moire then tree pastes off McRoomors is nutz...Eye wood said alot of all pastes were sum type-os in there.

crakly

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
London calling
Hot damn! Please, please, please let it be true...

The 1st Quarter results from the other day showed great progress for iBooks, iPods, iMacs and eMacs and together with the iPod shuffle and Mac mini I think Apple has the consumer market sewn up.

However the 1st Quarter results also showed that PowerBook and PowerMac sales were down year on year: its time for Apple to concentrate on the pro market again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.