Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
NH
So the smart cover really doesn't protect the device. When the little one was using it this morning, it started to slip out of her hands. She was left with the smart cover detached from the iPad. The iPad was left on the floor with a nice crack in the screen.

When I bought it I did think that the "cover" wasn't very good protection. My fault for not following through with this thought. This is just a warning for those who have little ones.

iPad 2 = amount of days used.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I'm sorry that happened to ya. I was worried about the smart cover as well. However, I only put it on when the iPad is staying on my desk or when I'm docking/not using it. When I'm holding it or something I've decided not to keep the smart cover on, too many things can happen to it.

Did you buy from an Apple store? They're usually good with those 'out of warranty' replacements, and especially since it's a new product. From my experience, they really try their hardest the first month of a new product release. And, in part, the smart cover did cause the drop. Hope it all works out.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
well i can imagine how it feels. it's a shame that you lost you ipad after a couple of days but from what i under stand it wasn't really you daughters (i suppose) fault. just to make clear if she had had the original ipad case would the ipad be damaged?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
sorry to hear that ... bring the little one when you go back to Apple (maybe they will show sympathy when they see the culprit)

good luck

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Well what did we learn from this boys and girls? This is the equation: iPad2 + small child = broken iPad2.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, not meant for kids. Like the cover for its perks. Am looking for a case that compliments the smart cover. I want the apple logo visible yet still protect the back from scratch and still be able to use the smart cover.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I returned my self proclaimed stupid cover today. I have fell for some gimmicks over the years but the Apple store rep talked me into that one. Doesn't protect anything. Doesn't work on any other side but the left one. Isn't reversible.

Biggest gripe ... When you fold it to rear to do anything you have to cradle it to keep it against the iPad so it doesn't flap around. $39 ... If you want a magnetic stand otherwise steer clear.

Maybe you like the cover ... If so good for you! I don't and you can flame all you want.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that.

But yes, that is exactly the type of thing I predicted would happen and you won't be the last.

I cam imagine a iPad with Smartcover being an a table, you reach out to pick it up, a finger or two on the top and another finger or two on the bottom.

The bottom being smooth slips a bit, and you have more friction on the surface of the cover, and it slips away from your hand, leaving you holding the cover and then iPad on the ground.

With the original case, this could not happen as the lid was not a separate item.
It's the weak magnetic connection that's the problem, for it to be safe you would need to fit very strong magnets that you would have to apply force to to pull the cover away.

Really Apple should have considered that. You should be able to hold just the cover with the iPad hanging down, and VERY strongly shake the whole thing around and the cover will not detach, unless, as I say you put a LOT of pulling force onto it.

Personally, even though Steve Jobs made a joke about it. I think there should be one or two small security screws in there for people who do not wish to remove the cover all the time.

Lets face it, as I said in another thread, The Smart cover is more a technical show of example like a show piece/concept than something realistically to be in use in a day to day environment.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
The smart cover is a novelty item, not a shock protection item. Plus it connects with magnets that can very easily detach.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if i was letting little children play with my iPad i would make sure there was better protection on it. You can try to see if Apple will replace, but I wouldnt get all worked up if they didnt.

Good luck though and sorry to hear that!

coochiekuta

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
here and there
what was the surface like? cannot imagine it fell far. i mean i have dropped my toys from higher places than your daugther is probably tall and they have survived. this includes my iphone which has no scratches on screen.

maybe the more surface area makes it less durable.

JPanther

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
I returned my self proclaimed stupid cover today. I have fell for some gimmicks over the years but the Apple store rep talked me into that one. Doesn't protect anything. Doesn't work on any other side but the left one. Isn't reversible.

Biggest gripe ... When you fold it to rear to do anything you have to cradle it to keep it against the iPad so it doesn't flap around. $39 ... If you want a magnetic stand otherwise steer clear.

Maybe you like the cover ... If so good for you! I don't and you can flame all you want.

Try folding the cover in half. The magnet actually sticks to the ones on the hinge and the one hand holding it should have no problem keeping it there.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Sorry that happened OP. Just out of curiosity, how old is your "little one?" Also, check with your credit card they may provide some accidental coverage.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
So the smart cover really doesn't protect the device. When the little one was using it this morning, it started to slip out of her hands. She was left with the smart cover detached from the iPad. The iPad was left on the floor with a nice crack in the screen.

When I bought it I did think that the "cover" wasn't very good protection. My fault for not following through with this thought. This is just a warning for those who have little ones.

iPad 2 = amount of days used.

I have two wild little boys, and a teen daughter who isn't much more careful in general -- she washed her iPod nano; her Android phone (didn't want an iPhone) is a mess, though it still works -- so I can sympathize. I gave my six-year-old son my old iPhone, but I put it in a heavy duty bumper case. For the iPad, when you get it replaced or repaired, think about an Otterbox or something similar. They run $80 or so at retail, probably about $60+ online, but far better drop protection and cheaper than a new screen.

Oh, but, you're a far better human being and parent letting her use the new toy rather than being prissy about it like it's a fragile ancient relic. Your kid is priceless, not the iPad 2.

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Gasp.

I, too, can see how that could easily happen at our house! So sorry. May I recommend an iPod Touch for the toddler? ;)

jdminpdx

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Why would you let a "little one", handle a brand new iPad with no direct supervision? (I.E. Sitting on a couch or at a table being monitored)

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Yeah, you'd definitely want something sturdier than the smart cover if you have little ones who'll be using it.

The breakdown video found that most of the weight reduction was from making the screen and glass thinner, so it's going to crack easier if dropped than the iPad 1.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
We bough the smart cover and it's not as practical it's cool and all but my concern Is the scratches u will get because the right underside is always touching the surface it is resting on. I'm thinking about getting one of those invisa shields or whatever they are called just for the back. the old apple case was good but it seriously made the iPad look stupid. So let's hope u get a new iPad from apple if they are nice.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Why would you let a "little one", handle a brand new iPad with no direct supervision? (I.E. Sitting on a couch or at a table being monitored)

You have kids? They run off. They fall off couches and knock things off tables. His choice is pretty much not let her touch it or run the risk she will break it. You know how many of my so-called hallowed objects have been damaged since I had kids?

With kids there are basically two kinds of parents: those who lock up everything to keep them perfect and those who let everybody really live. It took me a while to get to it, but I decided to be one of those that let everybody really live. Sounds like the OP is the latter, too. It's tough when things get damaged but you can replace or repair tech toys, sooner or later. You can't go back and replace a kid's childhood.

Not trying to give you a hard time. I supervise my kids. I'm not cavalier about things that should be taken care of, and I try to instill respect for one's own and other people's possessions in my kids. But kids just aren't as coordinated as adults; accidents happen no matter how hard you defend against them.

The breakdown video found that most of the weight reduction was from making the screen and glass thinner, so it's going to crack easier if dropped than the iPad 1.

I was afraid of that. My original iPad is built like a brick house. I like that. The glass on my iPhone definitely seems thinner than on my original iPhone. I figured they had to trim down the glass to get some of the weight and thickness out of it.

jdminpdx

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
You have kids? They run off. They fall off couches and knock things off tables. His choice is pretty much not let her touch it or run the risk she will break it. You know how many of my so-called hallowed relics have been damaged since I had kids?

With kids there are basically two kinds of parents: those who lock up everything to keep them perfect and those who let everybody really live. It took me a while to get to it, but I decided to be one of those that let everybody really live. Sounds like the OP is the latter, too. It's tough when things get damaged but you can replace or repair tech toys, sooner or later. You can't go back and replace a kid's childhood.

Not trying to give you a hard time. I supervise my kids. I'm not cavalier about things that should be taken care of, and I try to instill respect for one's own and other people's possessions in my kids. But kids just aren't as coordinated as adults; accidents happen no matter how hard you defend against them.

I certainly do. A 3 1/2 year old son. And he is never allowed to have time on my iPad 2 (and my previous iPad 1) without being directly supervised and in an area where I know that if it should be dropped, that it won't do any significant damage (like the living room wih carpet floor). I know how rough he can be on some things. My daughter who is older was the same way.

I let my kids and everyone "live" but when it comes to expensive items like this, I am cautious. Not everyone can take the chance and should something bad happen, just go to the store and throw down another 499+ for a replacement.

To the OP, I hope apple cuts you a break and replaces it for you for free. My wife had a co worker last year drop her 4 day old iPhone 4 and busted the screen. Apple wouldn't replace it.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
That truly stinks!

I have 4 boys at home, and I could see any of them doing that also. In their minds the cover should hold it, and the iPad is pretty slippery.

Fwiw, for my kids .... I bought the iPad(1) refurbished ones and put them in good cases and zagg covers... Those are solely for the kiddos , and at 349, (killer price and they come with a warranty) i bought some good cases so... unless they give them a bath :eek: I am hoping they will last. I did buy an iPad 2 for me, but the covers on the market for them all suck as far as I can tell and so the kids are not allowed to touch them.
the protected iPads that i got for them seem to be a lot sturdier. The iPad 1 also has thicker glass , so I am hoping that will help in keeping them in working order till the ipad3 is out.

But I am so sorry that happened, I can totally see any of my kids doing the same thing, and even myself in a moment of watching the iPad fall, i would instinctively reach for the cover... And well the smart cover isn't all that smart of apple for real world situtations. At least for my house because my kids try to be good, but they are still kids too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.