Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
IPad 2 is suffering the death grip issue. I'm used to landscape mode, holding with my left hand. When holding near the speaker grille, the wifi signal strength drops instantly. I guess I never noticed this for the iPad 1 since it was always in a case.

Anyone else have this problem?

JasonHiccup

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
IPad 2 is suffering the death grip issue. I'm used to landscape mode, holding with my left hand. When holding near the speaker grille, the wifi signal strength drops instantly. I guess I never noticed this for the iPad 1 since it was always in a case.

Not here.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY

Maybe you are just holding it wrong.

/troll

Gbtex

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I can replicate this same issue. If I block the speaker corner with my hand, I can kill the wifi signal. I've tested this with a speedtest app and can drop the throughput to zero by covering that corner.

For now, I am flipping the iPad 180 degrees to keep this from happening.

Last edited:

hwu182

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Please. Every tablet suffers from signal degradation when held a certain way. Just hold it a different way, and you'll be find.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Every small radio device is going to have some scenario where you can block the signal with your body. "Antennagate" should have been over and done with about 100 years ago, the first time somebody touched a radio antenna and lost their channel.

Gbtex

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Please. Every tablet suffers from signal degradation when held a certain way. Just hold it a different way, and you'll be find.

This is signal death, not degradation. Watch the video in the link a few posts above.

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I can replicate this same issue. When I am in a fringe wifi area, if I block the speaker corner with my hand, I can kill the wifi signal. I've tested this with a speedtest app and can drop the throughput from 2mbps to zero by covering that corner.

Good point! I feel stupid forgetting you can just flip it 180 degrees.... Where the death grip side is on the right side. Now I can hold it with my left hand on the lower left hand corner!

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
It's not ideal if they're all like that--maybe put the antenna in the middle of the device so there's no easy way to block it while holding it, but it's easy enough not to hold it in a way that totally blocks that one side like in the video IMO.

blen

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Wow why does everyone have to troll Apple so hard?

You want them to manufacture 'magic' antennas too?

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Crap.
I've been having this problem too. For the record, my iPhone 4 never had death grip problems. I thought it was just my wifi acting up, but for the last few minutes I've been watching my signal go from 3 bars to 1 bar (but it's actually 0) just from holding the iPad in landscape mode with my left hand. It's cuts off to the point where pages stop loading but once I release my left hand, it starts back up. My fingers aren't really gasping the device. The corners and sides are naturally resting in my palms. Turning the iPad upside down doesn't work for me because my smart cover is rolled up on that side but I wouldn't accept that as a solution anyways.
Naysayers might want to hold off on judgement as this could be a legit problem. The video shows how easy it is to cut off the wifi. I'm wondering if any iPad 1 owners can replicate this or if it is unique to the 2.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I can replicate the problem also. Turning it around 180 degrees is only a semi-solution (though I do find with the smart cover rolled up, on a lap in bed it actually works quite while flipped the "wrong" way - other than maybe for a lot of typing).

I wonder what the solution could even be for this... It's not like you can put a bumper on it like the iPhone 4...

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I can replicate this same issue. If I block the speaker corner with my hand, I can kill the wifi signal. I've tested this with a speedtest app and can drop the throughput to zero by covering that corner.

Mine doesn't do that. Yours must be busted. Go return it.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011

Yes I have experienced this exact same scenario.

However the reason I don't see it as a problem, is I do understand that Apple is having a problem learning how to build the proper antenna for it's devices.

I do believe that at some point Apple will finally figure out how to implement antennas, and this issue will be behind us.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Every small radio device is going to have some scenario where you can block the signal with your body. "Antennagate" should have been over and done with about 100 years ago, the first time somebody touched a radio antenna and lost their channel.

^
what he said...

That is why I have never pay attention to this... Is like wondering whynyou can't see when you cover your eyes...

Bizzways

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
It's not ideal if they're all like that--maybe put the antenna in the middle of the device so there's no easy way to block it while holding it, but it's easy enough not to hold it in a way that totally blocks that one side like in the video IMO.

They can't the battery is in the way.

I can't replicate the degradation to the degree you are experiencing. I've tried several times, and can only get the wifi to drop by one bar. Connection still strong. Flipping the device 180 degrees seems like a simple and effective solution. I doubt this is going to get any attention from apple. Seems like a non-issue if you ask me.

PS 20 down and 5 up, that's some good numbers man. Wish we had Internet service with that type of bandwidth here. . . Jealous.

Gbtex

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
3G worse?

I wonder if the issue is worse on 3G models. I have a 3G and have this problem. Do others of you who do not have the problem have a Wifi only model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.