Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GruXx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Right now i have a "24 iMac running Leopard (10.5.8) I never upgraded to Snow Leopard. So i was curious if it will be cheaper to upgrade to Snow Leopard for $30 and then upgrade to Lion once it comes out. I may be wrong but i thought that i heard or read somewhere that it is cheaper to upgrade from the next recent OS (ex. Leopard > Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard > Lion) rather than skipping one (ex. Leopard > Lion). Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Ask one of your friends if you can borrow their snow leopard disc. Otherwise, just wait until Lion this summer. I have the beta, and it's a pretty nice upgrade.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I may be wrong but i thought that i heard or read somewhere that it is cheaper to upgrade from the next recent OS (ex. Leopard > Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard > Lion) rather than skipping one (ex. Leopard > Lion).

The cheap Leopard to Snow Leopard update is actually the first time this has been the case. We don't yet know if it is a new strategy from Apple or just a one time thing because Snow Leopard didn't sport that many new features.

My recommendation is "Wait and see".

Ask one of your friends if you can borrow their snow leopard disc. Otherwise, just wait until Lion this summer. I have the beta, and it's a pretty nice upgrade.

If the OP had intended to obtain it illegally I don't think the thread would've been posted at all. ;)

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Lion may be sold in Mac App Store and so far we observed that Apple sells its softwares cheaper on MAS (such as Aperture, $79 on App Store but $199 on stores and Apple Remote Desktop again $79 on app store but $499 on stores (I don't know if they are exact same versions but App Store says it is unlimited edition) - huge gaps)

We don't and can't know if it will be cheaper to buy snow leopard first, but I don't think so :) (yeah, I know this is a contradiction to my first paragraph but I read so much articles like that in last 2-3 days :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.