Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Looking in my iTunes folder, under Mobile Applications, I have all the old versions of Apps. Any way to automatically delete them? Is it OK to manually delete them?

Aidoon

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
UK
Looking in my iTunes folder, under Mobile Applications, I have all the old versions of Apps. Any way to automatically delete them? Is it OK to manually delete them?

You can delete the .ipa files manually but you may lose the ability to revert back to data stored in the app so you might want to rename it first, then sync then see if new version running correctly with any data, then delete old .ipa file.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Looking in my iTunes folder, under Mobile Applications, I have all the old versions of Apps.
That is kinda strange, iTunes always deletes (places them in the trash) the older version of my apps when I update. It works that way on my Mac and all three windoze machines.

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
That is kinda strange, iTunes always deletes (places them in the trash) the older version of my apps when I update. It works that way on my Mac and all three windoze machines.

Mine works exactly the same as this too. In fact my trash is full of ipa's at the moment

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I wish I knew why it has all the old ones, its taking up quite a bit of room.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
May be time for an iTunes reinstall.

I actually just got a new Mac and was thinking maybe transferring my library screwed something up. When I first launched iTunes after transferring the library, I was missing some apps, and had a ton of updates for other apps that were already updated before backing up the library. Not sure what I did wrong, I just copied the entire iTunes directory.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I actually just got a new Mac and was thinking maybe transferring my library screwed something up. When I first launched iTunes after transferring the library, I was missing some apps, and had a ton of updates for other apps that were already updated before backing up the library. Not sure what I did wrong, I just copied the entire iTunes directory.
AhHa! Did you copy your library from a Mac or a PC?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
AhHa! Did you copy your library from a Mac or a PC?
It was copied from a Mac to a Mac. I noticed I had two folders for Mobile Apps, not sure what happened, but it appears to be deleting old apps as it installs updates now.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
It was copied from a Mac to a Mac. I noticed I had two folders for Mobile Apps, not sure what happened, but it appears to be deleting old apps as it installs updates now.
If you opened iTunes on the new machine, before you copied the library over, it creates a new default mobile apps, and music folder, and the library file points to those folders. I suspect that the old library file didn't get copied over the new one, but really have no way of knowing. It is easy to "rebuild" the library file, and if you continue to have problems, that is what I would do.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451

stopthepain

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Moving library from Mac to PC

JamesMB,
Sorry for the bump of an older thread, but you seemed to think moving from a Mac to a PC was an issue. I am having the same issue (old apps not deleting), and I DID move from a mac to a PC.

What I did was install iTunes, and open it. I then cleared out the "iTunes" folder, and moved everything from my mac to the PC. I renamed "itunes Library" to "iTunes library.itl", and everything seemed to work, save for updating Apps.

Was there something that I needed to do when transferring from a Mac to a PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.