Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
How does/will Facetime work on iPad? If it's not a phone how would one call it? I have an iPhone 4 and only one phone on my account so how could/would I "call home". Does one need 3G and WiFi or WiFi only to Facetime?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Facetime is over WiFi and not cell/phone (hopefully it will be 3G someday but still no phone call needed). You can simply hit Facetime on a Contact (at the botem right) and it will bypass phone calling.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
How does/will Facetime work on iPad? If it's not a phone how would one call it? I have an iPhone 4 and only one phone on my account so how could/would I "call home". Does one need 3G and WiFi or WiFi only to Facetime?

as it does on a Mac, you "call" the email address, not the phone number.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Facetime already works on the iPod touch, it uses your email address to make the connection over WiFi and out through the internet.

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wow... I was under the thought the video went over the Internet and the voice went over ATT's cellular service. If Facetime is entirely VOIP then how come when I make a normal call while on WiFi it doesn't through VOIP also?

Just to verify... Facetime calls do not count against plan minutes?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...how come when I make a normal call while on WiFi it doesn't through VOIP also?...
When you dial a phone number you use cell phone service to make the call and it has nothing to do with your phone being connected to WiFi or not connected. You must be connected to cell service to make a cell phone call. When you make a FaceTime it is WiFi over internet only and has nothing to do with cell service. This is why AT&T/Verizon don't support it because it would bypass their profitable voice minutes while "hoging" up data/internet usage.

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
When you dial a phone number you use cell phone service to make the call and it has nothing to do with your phone being connected to WiFi or not connected. You must be connected to cell service to make a cell phone call. When you make a FaceTime it is WiFi over internet only and has nothing to do with cell service. This is why AT&T/Verizon don't support it because it would bypass their profitable voice minutes while "hoging" up data/internet usage.

Really then the only reason is that it doesn't use your plan minutes. I think this stinks especially since it they would need to have Apple in cahoots to make it this way. Seems like they could eleviate some of their cell traffic if all calls went through VOIP when on WIFI but maybe I don't understand VOIP. I guess someone needs to maintainthe VOIP servers... Apple I assume then does this for Facetime so then it would have to be ATT for the other WIFI calls?

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Wow... I was under the thought the video went over the Internet and the voice went over ATT's cellular service. If Facetime is entirely VOIP then how come when I make a normal call while on WiFi it doesn't through VOIP also?

Just to verify... Facetime calls do not count against plan minutes?

Try using google.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.