Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
So I picked up an iPad 2 today. This one was meant as a gift for my father.

I surprised him with it tonight and he was ELATED.

While I was helping him to set it up, I noticed a bit of weirdness. We kept getting a sync message from Mobile Me asking to merge 188 contacts with the computer. I clicked "show details" and found a slew of apple.com contacts, as well as asian contacts written in what I believe are Chinese characters. While investigating this, the iPad switched over to screensaver mode, and displayed an iPad 2 promotional screensaver advertising all of its features. The photos app was full of Apple promotional photos, and on pages 2 and 3 the iPad had a bunch of apps/content loaded like Molecules, Tron, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, books, music, videos etc.

I just checked his box against mine and noticed his says Ipad Wi-Fi 16GB Black DEMO, and even has a different model number.

Since these things are in short supply, I'd hate to have to take it away from him and return it when new ones arrive. I wonder if he should keep it? If there are any internal differences between demo and retail units? Obviously the pro-loaded apps won't be in sync with his iTunes account and won't update. And I don't know if we can delete them (haven't tried). Then there's that iPad 2 promotional screensaver to deal with....

Has this happened to anyone else?

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
If restoring it via iTunes makes it work normally I'd keep it, it makes your iPad unique,

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
I may try the restore. Hopefully it runs the same firmware as a retail unit and won't freak out.

Aside from not wanting to take it away from my father for what could be 3 weeks or more, I feel that it should be on Apple to contact *me* when *they* get a new shipment. I shouldn't have to return it and check in on a daily basis to see when they're getting new stock. If was enough effort to get this one.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
OP, if you take it back I am sure Apple would give you a new unit. As there are no refurb units yet, Apple keeps a certain stock of all iPads to give out a replacements. I am almost positive they would offer you one of those for your trouble.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
This is a first. Haven't heard of this happening before. Is it a wifi model? Wondering how it would be if it were 3G. There would be no ejector hole for the sim.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
OP, if you take it back I am sure Apple would give you a new unit. As there are no refurb units yet, Apple keeps a certain stock of all iPads to give out a replacements. I am almost positive they would offer you one of those for your trouble.

That would be cool, I hope so.

Otherwise, I'm going to keep it throughout the 14 day return window, and let them know that I think *they* should hold an iPad for *me* when they receive replacement stock. I'm not getting back into a queue.

Of course, if a restore works, and they assure me it's functionally identical to a retail iPad, then maybe he'll get to keep it and I won't have to go through any hassle.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
This is a first. Haven't heard of this happening before. Is it a wifi model? Wondering how it would be if it were 3G. There would be no ejector hole for the sim.

It's a wi-fi model.

@ mystikal

There's no demo.app that's visible.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Demo units are different at the software level, they cannot be restored in the normal way. I think they may have made a bit of a mistake.

Our demo units are similarly marked, when Apple release a software update for them we need to restore from a three-part image that has to be done on a separate account.

There is a "Demo iPad Unlocking" utility for when the time comes that we can sell them that turns them into regular iPads.

I'd take it back and get them to swap it out.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'd talk to them either in person or on the phone. I'm sure they will replace it and you might even get alittle extra for your trouble.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the info Chundles!

That's what I was looking for. So I will return it then. Hopefully they can swap it. If not, I'd like to let him play with it for as long as he can until they get replacement stock. And I feel they should contact ME when they do. It was really crazy trying to get one of these.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Admit it, you actually stole the iPad from the Apple store and gave it to your Dad. You should be ashamed.

Last edited:

deathcab4xtina

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010

not true. i was given my money back on a gift card for my defective unit... so i have to fight everyone for an ipad again.

reynaldom

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Monterrey, MX
Those DEMO units are the same units that you get when you purchase it at your favorite store. The only difference is on software side BUT the DEMO units CAN BE restored via the same iOS that everyone is getting.

So, you shouldn't be worried about that, the firmware is exactly the same...

MBPLurker

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
The reason I would replace it would be because if you ever need to take it in for service you'll get a bunch of skeptical looks. There was a problem with demo iPad 1's being stolen and resold.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yikes! ^^

I had someone call Apple for me (while I deal with business) and I'm told they said not to restore the device as it would permanently damage it.

Still waiting to hear what the plan will be regarding returning it.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I would think Demo units are not to be sold (esp as full price).

I would demand a non-demo unit. No way would they give a refurb, you bought it new, they gave you the wrong item basically.

mcgeneus

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
If u restore the ipad in iTunes it will become a regular ipad 2 u may have to do it twice but afterwards u will have a perfect ipad 2 and all ur dads apps can b restored thru his opacity in app store under purchase

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
If u restore the ipad in iTunes it will become a regular ipad 2 u may have to do it twice but afterwards u will have a perfect ipad 2 and all ur dads apps can b restored thru his opacity in app store under purchase

pay attention to dates!!! You posted to a 2 year old thread. probably does not even have the ipad anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.