Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

untype

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hi All,

Today was the first day I tried out my MBA 13 with netflix. I watched a quite dark movie and I was irritated to find that the bottom of my screen has light bleeding through. It's quite annoying while watching a full screen movie.

Does anyone else have this problem?? See the picture below. Does apple allow returns for this type of issue or is this relatively normal?

photo.jpg

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Had backlight bleeding on right/left side of 11". Ended up selling it but it was quite annoying when I had darker wallpapers, screens, etc. running.

When I complained to Apple about it (and a minor nick it came with) they gave me $160 +tax back.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Don't accept that as it's defective. Get a replacement and don't accept no or a partial payment to be quiet as you will always be disappointed. I have had perfect displays on my newest Gen MBAs and all that I have seen of others have been great. This does happen however and they should give you a new MBA. If within 14 days get a brand new one in the box. Otherwise it's a refurbished unit.

Good luck. You deserve better.

untype

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks

Thanks all. I'm actually inside the 30 day window so I can definitely return it which I think I will probably do. Do you think if I took it to the genius bar, they could just pop in a new screen or do you think they'll do a total replacement? The chassis is great and I'm not so lucky when it comes to replacements. I played the return game with apple a few years ago with the iphone and it was like russian roulette (i.e. return a phone with a skewed screen for one with dead pixels etc :))

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and its good to know that others think its a legit problem. It annoyed the hell out of me last night when watching daywalkers which is quite a dark film.

Incidentally, I've heard that the new ipad 2 is having bleed problems too. Just out of curiosity, is light bleeding a case problem or a screen manufacture problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.