Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
As many wait for the international release of the iPad 2 some have managed to get their hands on one by either traveling to the US or having someone in the US to buy it for them and send it to them?

How many non-US iPad owners are there so far and how many intend on getting their iPad 2 before the international release of March 25.

I've had a friend by my 32GB 3G model and sent it to me from the US and it should arrive sometime this week.

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
I say this only half-joking: Wait your darn turn! :D

People throughout the US that want them can't get their hands on them due to all the shady exporters with no jobs getting in line first and buying all the AT&T 3G models to send overseas...

I expect to hear soon the international launch gets pushed back due to "unexpected, incredible demand" in the US. That means you're not only making it harder for the people here who want to buy these models, but making it so people in your own country will have to wait even longer before the official roll out :p

The New England region is way too large and tech-savvy to have gotten such a small allocation of iPads! I've scoured nearly a dozen Apple stores, and every Walmart, Target, and Best Buy in a 100+ mile radius. Nothing. Not even a crappy 16GB white iPad with Verizon service. But then you read about these redneck towns in the south with dozens sitting idle on the shelves because nobody knows what the heck they are...

Probably didn't help that PAX East started in Boston on 3/11, so 70,000 extra people (ALL gaming and tech geeks) were in the area, and I know many of them waited in line and bought iPads that would've went to the locals otherwise.

Yeah I'm bitter... My iPad will likely arrive close to May at this rate. I'll go back under my rock now ;)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I bought a 16gb wifi because I didn't want to wait for the Canadian release

Steelers7510

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2010
Lake Tahoe
People throughout the US that want them can't get their hands on them due to all the shady exporters with no jobs getting in line first and buying all the AT&T 3G models to send overseas...

That is exactly the boat I am in. Not a SINGLE store in the DC area has any in stock. Ordering online is hopeless at this point with 4-5 week wait times.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Canadian here, ordered a 32GB White WiFi at 4:03 AM last Friday - arriving in New Jersey today, where a friend will ship it back to me and hopefully I'll have it by Friday. :)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
The iPad demand is always going to bigger then supply. I think Apple does this on purpose as Apple could have been stockpiling for months but didn't. The onus is on each individial person to get in as early as possible to increase their chances of getting a release day Apple product. I have done my fair share of waiting many months to get my hands on a Apple product so I figured just this one time, especially seeing my dollar is at parity with the US right now, I will ask my friend to wait in line for me and get me the iPad. Out of generosity they waited many hours to get me an iPad and I owe them a favour now. My point is that if you want an iPad on release day you need to get in early.

Virtute

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Niagara, Canada
I crossed over from Canada on Monday to try picking one up, but I had no luck. I'm going to try again tomorrow, but that'll be my last time. If I don't get one then I'll be waiting for the Canadian release.

At first I feared that the international releases might be delayed, as someone else had commented, but I don't think this will be the case. From what I've read over the past few days, Apple stores seem to be receiving mostly Verizon stock, with little-to-no AT&T. To me, this suggests that Apple is diverting stock of the GSM models so that they can sell them for the international releases.

With the low stock and high demand evidenced this week, I think it's possible that Apple will cut the number of countries the iPad is launching in next week, but I expect that at least some of them will still have a launch on the 25th.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I'm out in Asia, the land of the gray market. I've already seen plenty priced at 2x retail value. Some irrational urge to buy it anyway. Turns out though that a friend of mine in the US managed to snag two today. Hopefully mine will come in the mail sometime next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.