Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavarNative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Ok. I just spent several hours on the phone with Apple with no help. I have also combed this and many other forums trying to find an answer to no avail. Here's my set up and my problem.

I have a brand new 15" MacBook Pro wanting to stream via Home Sharing to my AppleTV 2 and Ipad. All of my music, TV shows and movies are stored on my Time Capsule to which I direct my iTunes account on my MBP.

The AppleTV 2 and iPad sees my iTunes library from my MBP but as soon as I click on it it says "Could not connect to "MY NAME'S Library"". When I move a media file directly on my MBP it pulls a library up just fine (I created a different library just to try it).

So you would think, just move all of your library onto the MBP. Well, two problems with that. 1. My library is very large. 2. And this one is the kicker, I have a MacBook set up this exact same way (iTunes pointed towards my media stored in the Time Capsule) and it works just fine! No problems! Apple said it was just a fluke that the MacBook worked. I call BS. Something with the MBP isn't set right.

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
There is a rather lengthy discussion of this within Apple's discussion forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2767177&start=0&tstart=0

While no one has yet to come up with a definitive answer to the problem, it's looking like there's probably a bug with the new laptops, possibly something wrong in the OS that was shipped with them, that is unique to the new machines.

I have spent hours with AppleCare to try to fix this, but everything we tried eventually failed. I have two MacBook Pros - one I just bought (2011) and one from over four years ago. Everything is working fine with my old laptop.

My advice: don't mess with your iTunes library and don't go crazy with troubleshooting this one. I tried replacing my iTunes library, creating new ones, reimporting the xml file and even reimporting all the mp3 files - nothing worked. I also tried reinstalling OS X. I would wait to see if Apple finally addresses this issue and offers a software/firmware update.

In the meantime, you should still be able to use Airplay to send music and videos from your iTunes to your Apple TV. You'll just have to go to your laptop to choose/change songs. (Fortunately for me, I still have both laptops running in my home, so I can simply use the one that's working fine and I don't lose any functionality. But I hate that my brand new laptop can't do it.)

One suggestion from the Apple forum that I have yet to try is messing with the Firewall settings on your new laptop. Read the last few pages of that thread and you'll see their recommendation about turning off the firewall and restarting your machine. It's a fairly simply procedure so it's worth giving it a try. I'll be trying it tonight.

NavarNative

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Thanks Paulold. I was happy to see the front page article on this when I went to MacRumors this evening. Hopefully there will be a fix in the near future. Thankfully I still have my old MacBook that works perfectly.

Just FYI, I spent hours on the phone with apple care also and we worked through the firewall issue with no answers. We tried everything and still nothing works.

Come on Apple! Give us a fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.