Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
I will be a 1st time iPad owner:D and I'm not sure which size to get.:confused: I currently own a iPhone 3G that I will be deactivating in about 60 days as will be getting a work phone.:( I have a 64GB 3rd gen iPod touch that I keep all my music and movies on.

Based on this what size iPad would you get if you were in my shoes. I will keep photos, and maybe a few movies and will be using it primarily as a internet browsing and email while I'm on the road. Not sure which generation iPad to get as the first gen prices seem attractive.

I plan on using skype on the iPad and am not sure if not having the front facing camera would be a deal breaker. I'm thinking of either 32GB or 64GB as my iPhone 3G is a 16GB and it's full.:eek: How much do the apps take up? I am not one that upgrades every single year as I try to get as much millage as possible before needing to re-purchase again.:eek:

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Chapel Hill
Try to avoid spending the bank because it'll just make you feel that much more guilty next year when you toss it aside or sell it for peanuts to get Ipad3.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
If your main purpose for an iPad is Email/Web Browsing and a few movies and apps, 64GB might be a little much.

here is what my 32GB iPad looks like

screenshot20110317at858.png

screenshot20110317at858.png

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
Thank you saving107.:) It looks to me that the 64GB would be for those that have allot of movies and/or videos.

I'm thinking of picking up a iPad1 32GB or a 64GB if it's a incredible deal. I must say what I do like about the iPad 2 is apples smart cover. I think with a invisible skin and the smart cover it will actually maintain its slimness without adding unnecessary bulk.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
My first gen was 64 as I thought I needed all this space. After almost a year I had only used about 10gb. I did some more cleanup and wound up getting a 16gb 3G mainly because that's all I could get my hands on. I'm ok with it and it will work well for me. Plus I spent 200 bucks less than I had planned.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
32 is good for power users. If you're the obsessive type that need half your media library then I guess you would need the 64gb.

Mine looked like this:
Games: 5gb
Useful Apps: 3gb (GPS app took about 1.5gb on its own)
Music: 10gb (like 400 songs)
Videos: 12gb (few full length movies or a season or two of shows)
Photos: 2gb (that's actually pretty good number of photos in native resolution)

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
32 is good for power users. If you're the obsessive type that need half your media library then I guess you would need the 64gb.

Mine looked like this:
Games: 5gb
Useful Apps: 3gb (GPS app took about 1.5gb on its own)
Music: 10gb (like 400 songs)
Videos: 12gb (few full length movies or a season or two of shows)
Photos: 2gb (that's actually pretty good number of photos in native resolution)

:eek:Those must be gigantic songs.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Of course it depends on your usage, but I think you'd know if you were a 64GBer. Also you'd know pretty well if you were a 16GBer because you know for sure you wouldn't use much. I'd say 32 is a safe bet.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely get the iPad 2. Since you are planning to use skype the cameras are a MUST. plus it is thinner and has 9x better graphics as well as improved overall performance. If your going to spend 500+ dollars why not spend a couple of hundred more to get the latest and greatest?

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
I have the 1G ipad 64GB wifi only. I plan on getting either 32/64 myself. I'm not using a lot of the space since I didn't want to load my thing with movies since I'm not traveling often as a grad student and I don't have so much time on my hands to keep watching all these movies on my ipad..sometimes I enjoy sitting at my couch to watch tv/movies. I also have music on this thing, but I also have a 16gb iphone 4 with at&t and I feel I've been using Pandora more than listening to my own library...so far I have 3223 songs or 29.18GBs worth and I don't listen to them all, all the time (I got Justin Bieber for xmas gift, I didn't buy it).

I also have my educational podcasts/iTunes U on there loaded with all of them. Again, I haven't been able to listen to them all, all the time and they're just taking up space in my ipad. I've been at school, clinic, or home most of the time and I'd rather listen to music than educational podcasts :D. I put the podcasts I listen to on my iphone now and listen to them while working out at 24HrF. I've seen many guys at the gym with their ipads while working out...looks sort of odd lifting weights with an ipad on your side or tummy. May be great while doing stationary cardio though. Sorry for my detailed rant.

So it does feel good having so much space on my ipad, but I don't have the 3G one to experience going out to places where theres no free wifi. I do use mywi though, but my next ipad will be at&t 3G (if I can get one...I'm asian but I'm local kine in Hawaii!) However, mywi drains the battery quite a bit if you don't plan to charge it periodically throughout the day. Anyway, I posted a pic of my ipad space use right now...it may decrease to "convince" myself that I can do away with a 32GB ipad and save some bucks since I have my iphone 4 and 1G ipad...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 8.57.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 8.57.37 PM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 107

jkwireless

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Don't forget that the iOS takes around 4-5Gb of your iPad space. I got a 64Gb and only had 59Gb of available storage space before installing anything.

EDIT: D'oh. Just saw the previous post appear after I posted. Note the Capacity in katyoshi's attached thumbnail.

Last edited:

foranor

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Some of that space is lost due to GB conversion.
64 GB in Apple terms == 64000000000 byte.
64000000000 /1024 / 1024 / 1024 (kb/mb/gb) == 59,60464477539063 GB

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
On any computing item, iPad, computer, laptop, etc get the largest amount of memory you can comfortably afford. You will rarely regret it. Programs usually get larger and more complicated and want more memory. As you find more uses for the unit you also find that those uses require more memory.

I'm upgrading from 32 to 64 gigs for that reason. I made the mistake of selling my iPad before I had an iPad2 in my hands so right now I'm iPadless and going through withdrawal. :eek:

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
I bit the bullet and ordered the AT&T 3G 64gb Wifi and the RED smart cover...looks pretty sick with red and black and I'll sell the 1G ipad to my sister for $500. TOP SHAPE. :D with apple case. I decided not to do the verizon ipad and at&t iphone 4 mywi thing because of speed...yes i know...verizon has better consistent coverage. But if its always less than 1mps downlink, It'll slow down my experience and time can't be retrieved retrospectively. :rolleyes: Dang, Shipment date is April 22? Delivery April 27? The red smart cover is April 15 ship, 20th delivery. :( so long...well as long as I get it before I go outerisland for clinic work then I'll be fine with having an ipad that can access data without draining my battery. I'm too scared of leaving my iphone in an area that has good signal in the clinic and someone just steals it...

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
I'm really torn between iPad1 and 1Pad2

Here is the deal. If I'm going to get the iPad2 it would be the 32GB 3G. However on Craig list here where I live I see an iPad1 64GB for $500-550 and of course you get many folks that are selling iPad1 16 wifi only for $450-500:eek: as they haven't realized the market won't accept that unless a sucker comes along which I guess happens every minute.:cool:

So the question is do I go for an iPad1 64 3G for probably less than $500 by the time iPad2 comes here to Canada? Is the $500 difference between the iPad1 and iPad2 enough of an incentive for the $300 savings?:confused:

I'm really thinking of what Tom G. said :) in that if there is an oportunity for more memory then I will rarely regret it. Programs usually get larger and more complicated and want more memory. As I find more uses for the unit you also find that those uses require more memory.

Once again I don't own one yet and don't have the iPad fever as I'm using that to my purchasing advantage.:cool:

What do you think?

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I got a 16GB and regretting it. Have 7GB left and have not even been able to put all my music on it.

Already looking to see if I can swap it out somehow. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
What the hell was that earlier about some guy talking about some bank account and giving out an international number on this forum? another hotmail scam?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.