Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgirl111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
Ok, basically, my problem is that when I press down on my trackpad, my macbook pro does not register the click. I hear the sound but I can't click or double click anything on the screen. I can still however tap to click. This is only a recent problem (1 day ago, it didn't work, i restarted, it took some time but the click worked again but today, nothing at all).

It's a new unibody Macbook pro.

Has anyone else had this problem or provide any information to help? Thanks.

Also, I'm really really worried because my brother loaned his computer to me and he's overseas and I think that the warranty is about to expire =(

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I would call Apple support immediately or if there is an Apple store nearby go there immediately. You want to get the date logged in so they know it happened before the warranty ran out. Also, when you talk to Apple see if your brother purchased Apple Care, that extends the warranty to three years.
Have the serial number ready when you call.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
Hi

Did you ever find the reason for this happening? or a fix?

My late 09 MBP has the exact problems yours did. Its really weird though because i went away and didn't use my laptop for 4 weeks and come back and its not working.

Mine is way out of warranty so hopefully its an easy fix.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't have an MBP with those characteristics (unibody) so my advice may or may not work. That disclaimer aside... check the Trackpad settings in System Preferences. Could be something wonky in there.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
wow that was a quick reply, cheers.

Whilst searching for answers i just clicked the c**p out of the pad and it just started working like normal.

RestlessDeviant

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
wow that was a quick reply, cheers.

Whilst searching for answers i just clicked the c**p out of the pad and it just started working like normal.

Rofl I'm sitting here for ages with the swollen battery out and the click doing nothing.... & then came accross your suggestion and indeed, clicking the c**p out of it fixed it!

Thanks!

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Just click it a bunch more times and see if that works. Your Mac may be a little slow at registering clicks if it is overpowered.

kofot

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
this happened to my computer aswell, and I finally had to tighten a screw on the opposite side of the trackpad, using a small try-wing screwdriver. My model is a late 2008 mbp so it has a removable battery,, I wouldn't recommend it if your under applecare though, but its a really simple fix. just 1/8 of a rotation should do the trick, as others have pointed out before me.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Same problem here with MacBook Pro 15-inch mid 2009.

What do you mean by "clicked the c**p out of the pad"?

What is the "c**p"?

Thanks.

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Same problem here with MacBook Pro 15-inch mid 2009.

What do you mean by "clicked the c**p out of the pad"?

What is the "c**p"?

Thanks.

I think c**p means the excrement that we as humans produce. Not literally though. They mean that they clicked many, many times. Just a figure of speech :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.