Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Like most people I read the NY Times on my ipad (and sometimes iphone) and on my home computer. The prices they are charging may seem high but there is a much better unadvertised deal below that you can get if you call the NY Times directly at 800-698-4637 (you have to navigate to the option to renew/cancel/suspend your account and then wait for the system to ask for your account number and then hold on the line until it connects you to an operator).

The website does not offer this, but an unadvertised subscription option is the Sunday only paper (you can choose to have half of it delivered on Saturday which is what I do and is quite nice). For the first 12 weeks it is $2.50/issue ($10/month) and then after that it is $5/issue or $20/month. Included for ALL home delivery subscribers (including this subscription model - I confirmed), you get full digital access to the paper online, on the iphone and most importantly for me, the ipad as well. Basically, the best of all worlds. Unless you are only reading the ny times on an iphone only I really do not see how this is not the way to go as you can save a massive amount of money and get the sunday edition delivered as well.

Thought I would share.

Edit:
There is actually an even better deal! You can get the large print edition (a once-weekly summary of the newspaper in large print) for $1.65/week. I just confirmed with the staff at the New York Times that this edition also receives full digital access. That comes out to $85.80/year or $7.15/month. They also confirmed that this is THE CHEAPEST way to get the digital subscription and that she personally (the operator) was changing over to this subscription model (as are many of the staff).

Also edited the title of the thread to reflect this.

Last edited:

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
The hard-copy subscriptions all include NewYorkTimes.com access, not the iPad app.

Not true, see the NY Times FAQ Question #5:

I get home delivery of the newspaper, do I get free access?

Yes. Print subscribers to The New York Times get a free All Digital Access subscription. This package includes free, unlimited access to NYTimes.com on any device, plus the full range of NYTimes apps for your smartphone (iPhone, Android-powered phones, BlackBerry), your tablet (iPad) and your computer (Times Reader 2.0 and the NYTimes App for the Chrome Web Store).

To activate your digital subscription, you'll need to connect your home delivery subscription to your NYTimes.com account. If you haven't already done so, visit this page to connect your accounts.

Free, unlimited access is provided to all print subscribers, no matter what type of subscription you have (daily, weekday, Weekender, etc.). You'll also qualify for free digital access if your home delivery is provided by a third party (rather than by The New York Times directly).

Please note that free access is for home delivery customers only. If you purchase single copies of the newspaper at a newsstand or other retailer, you will need to purchase a digital subscription separately.

Digital subscription benefits for print subscribers also include the Replica Edition. Please note that e-reader editions (Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo Reader) are not free to print subscribers.

Home delivery subscribers to the International Herald Tribune will receive free, unlimited access to NYTimes.com.

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks OP for the heads-up on the large print edition. Still though, $85 a year for something that used to be completely free...:mad:

jjtrindc

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:
I get the weekend NYT home delivery through work. Just got this email. Nice bonus!

Important notice about your Times Reader 2.0 account

Dear Times Reader Subscriber,

We want to let you know about an important change to our Web site, NYTimes.com, and new benefits you will be receiving as a valued Times Reader subscriber.

Starting March 28, The New York Times will begin charging for unlimited access to NYTimes.com and our NYTimes apps — but, as a Times Reader subscriber, you will get unlimited access* to NYTimes.com and the NYTimes app for iPad® included in your subscription.

To continue to enjoy free, unlimited access, all you have to do is log in to NYTimes.com or the NYTimes app for iPad with your current Times Reader user name and password.

We greatly value you as a Times Reader subscriber and are very pleased to provide you with these additional benefits.

Thank you for subscribing to The New York Times.

Sincerely,
Yasmin Namini
Senior Vice President, Marketing and Circulation
General Manager, Reader Applications

P.S. We will send you a reminder about your free access to NYTimes.com around March 28, when this change takes place. If you would like to learn more about this change now, click here for a message from Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr., publisher of The New York Times.

*Mobile apps are not supported on all devices. Does not include e-reader editions, Premium Crosswords or The New York Times Crosswords apps. Other restrictions apply.

This message was sent to inform you about an important change to our Web site and NYTimes applications. Please note, if you have chosen not to receive marketing messages from The New York Times, that choice applies only to promotional messages. You will continue to receive important notifications that are legally required or could affect your service.

To review our Privacy Policy, please go to: http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/privacy/policy/privacy-policy.html

© 2011 The New York Times Company / P.O. Box 217, Northvale, NJ 07647-0217

stlblufan

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
New York City
I just signed up for the Large Print subscription (which, btw, comes to only $6.60 a month) and can confirm that it does include all access to digital content. The confirmation email that I received from NYTimes states:

You now have free access to the online benefits below -- available only to home delivery subscribers.

Unlimited access to NYTimes.com.
Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for your BlackBerry®, iPhone®, or Android™-powered phone.
Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for iPad®, the NYTimes app for Chrome Web Store and Times Reader 2.0.
Access to The New York Times Replica Edition and The Times Archive.*

Good stuff!

My question now is whether I can use the iPhone app on more than one iPhone?

kmsmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
i can confirm this works as well. in fact, it can be done over the web - just google "NY times large print edition" and go from there. i can confirm i received the same email noted above after registering.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
Thanks for the tip! Signed up and it looks great! :)

WSJ looks to be cost around $3.99/week - now 'how low' can we get? :D I've seen the print+online version to costing mid$2/week...any tips? One iffy part is that the online version's offered for 'limited time' <- this 'limited' note's now been up for nearly a year...thoughts? :)

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks OP for the heads-up on the large print edition. Still though, $85 a year for something that used to be completely free...:mad:

Well if you want to KEEP reading it for years to come at some point you're going to have to pay for it.

Thanks for the heads up about this deal.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have always thought that The Daily app hit the correct price point for newspapers on the iPad or iPhone. Their rate of $.99/week or $40/year (not sure about the yearly rate) was very reasonable. The Times and WSJ are getting better, but I still don't think they will have as much success at these price points.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
I have always thought that The Daily app hit the correct price point for newspapers on the iPad or iPhone. Their rate of $.99/week or $40/year (not sure about the yearly rate) was very reasonable. The Times and WSJ are getting better, but I still don't think they will have as much success at these price points.

I agree, I think The Daily has hit the sweet spot when it comes to digital news. I wish The Daily had higher quality content, and I keep holding out hope that the content will get better. I would pay upwards of $10.00 a month for full NYT access on the iPad. IMO, The NYT has some great content.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
I just signed up for the Large Print subscription (which, btw, comes to only $6.60 a month) and can confirm that it does include all access to digital content. The confirmation email that I received from NYTimes states:

You now have free access to the online benefits below -- available only to home delivery subscribers.

Unlimited access to NYTimes.com.
Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for your BlackBerry®, iPhone®, or Android™-powered phone.
Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for iPad®, the NYTimes app for Chrome Web Store and Times Reader 2.0.
Access to The New York Times Replica Edition and The Times Archive.*

Good stuff!

My question now is whether I can use the iPhone app on more than one iPhone?

Thanks for the heads up. I also just signed up for the $6.60 monthly large format print, which will give all-access to the soon-to-be $30/month plan. I'd imagine more people will catch onto this, but maybe it's available only to people in the NYC print-delivery area.

You can use both an iPhone and iPad, so maybe you can use two iPhones.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I just clicked on an ad on nytimes.com by Lincoln giving me full access for the rest of 2011.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/49367/It's+Time+to+Pay,+Says+NY+Times

Chinks in Pay Model?

Readers visiting The New York Times Company’s website via blog links or social-media sites such as Facebook or Twitter, or through search engines such as Microsoft Corporation's (MSFT - Analyst Report) Bing and Yahoo Inc. (YHOO - Analyst Report) will be able to access unlimited number of articles, nullifying the stipulated limit of 20 articles. We wonder if this leaves a chink in the pay model. Notably, the company is imposing a restriction on the number of free articles to five per day for traffic coming via Google Inc. (GOOG - Analyst Report).

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I actually prefer to get the paper version of the NYT so I can wipe my ass with it since that is about all it is good for.

I wouldn't want to try & wipe my ass with my iPad.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I've heard you can also get full access just from subscribing to the Book Review, which may be even cheaper.

gus6464

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
I googled "ny times large print edition" and since I live in TX I cannot do home delivery but I can do surface mail which is $1.65 a week. This is the same thing and will give me access to the ny edition on my ipad every day right?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT

You can not compare "The Daily", with the New York Times.

One is as close to a virtual RAG as one can get, the other is a traditional newspaper. Their pricing has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with getting their subscription base up and running. Need I remind you who is behind the manipulation of the current events for this travesty of a publication. I won't even say his name I hate him so much.

The New York Times has been charging the Kindle folks $20 bucks a month for a while and have a huge subscription base. The Times has been working on this pricing structure for coming up on a year now and personally, I think its reasonable given the content and what a subscription gives you access to.

Now I read with some what hilarity some of the suggestions for pricing posted by the discontents out there, in the comment section of the Times coverage of their announcement. I mean what the hell are these people thinking, $3.00 a month, COME ON!

I think the whiners and the complainers who will find themselves locked out of thew site after their 20th viewing are just a bunch of sad sack complainers who make a career out of doing exactly that, complaining. They have no concept what so ever what goes into running a major publication like the Times.

Wake up folks, either get with the program or say bye bye. The Times really is not all that interested in a bunch of free loaders any way, the ride for these folks is finally coming to an end, and its such a sad day, NOT.

Go see if you can access the Wall Street Journal for free! Your just going to have to start reading your news on the Google News page or figure out how to cough up for a subscription, and you can go whatever route you want, subscribe once of week, twice a week, it still works out cheaper than a regular subscription, but the free ride is over and it should be.

I subscribe to only the Sunday edition and have been getting access to all sorts of benefits that home delivery affords one. This includes the electronic full edition of the paper, which because the Times uses flash or some other dam program, the ipad does not read that.

Would be lovely if they in their infinite wisdom came around to fixing this. They are quite slow at almost everything they do. You also can get The Times Digest emailed to you every single morning. So personally I will continue doing this and as a side benefit will receive all the digital formats. I'm a paying subscriber, and every one of the complainers and whiners out there can do the very same thing!

One thing the Times has yet to work out is the very lousy Times Apps and the content they push through to the iphone and ipad. It crashes, it never updates properly, and the content stays on for DAYS! Lousy Lousy Lousy! Just read the app reviews I told one very high ranking person at the Times!

Reading the home page in Safari is just simply a miserable ad filled painful experience. I hate it.

I would sooner pay above and beyond what I am already paying, which is not a lot now, to receive a proper, no ad emailed preferably, full digest of the paper. Much like the Kindle version. They used to send it to another ebook reader which they cancelled earlier this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.