Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I am looking for good recipe management software for MAC OS X. I have been using an old program, Master Chef, but it operates only in classic mode and I have never been able to get my HP psc all in one to print from my classic programs. All my software is updated now, except for the Master Chef, and I'd like to find a good recipe program that will do everything that Master Chef does but requires less futzing in order to print recipes, shopping lists, etc. I entertain a lot and cook for large groups, and I have a lot of cookbooks. So, I don't care about recipes that come with a program. I care more about being able to enter my own recipes, scale them, create menus, and create consolidated shopping lists from the menus. Most cooking/recipe programs I find by Googling are for Windows. I've downloaded a few programs for MAC but the trial versions are so limited I can't really tell if the software will do what I want. I'd appreciate advice about a good product. Thanks. kingx

MacZoro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2004
Valley of the Sun, AZ USA
Cooking in OS X - CookWare

kingx said:
I am looking for good recipe management software for Mac OS X. I have been using an old program, Master Chef, but it operates only in classic mode and I have never been able to get my HP psc all in one to print from my classic programs. All my software is updated now, except for the Master Chef, and I'd like to find a good recipe program that will do everything that Master Chef does but requires less futzing in order to print recipes, shopping lists, etc.
I entertain a lot and cook for large groups, and I have a lot of cookbooks.
So, I don't care about recipes that come with a program.
I care more about being able to enter my own recipes, scale them, create menus, and create consolidated shopping lists from the menus.

I've downloaded a few programs for MAC but the trial versions are so limited I can't really tell if the software will do what I want.
kingx
The best OS X has to offer is CookWare by
http://www.digitalfriedchicken.com/CookWare.html
http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=2S1&&
tencel.jpg
If you've tried CookWare and found it lacking for your purposes, since there is nothing better on OS X it may be time to buy a new printer.

Demo Movie - Adding a Recipe

CookWare Deluxe recipe software makes collecting and organizing your recipes really simple. The concept of CookWare Deluxe is to be very easy to use without giving up features. Dragging and dropping recipes into CookWare Deluxe makes adding recipes really fast. You can drag recipes from your Internet browser or word processor directly into CookWare Deluxe recipe software, categorize it and you're finished!

Plan your meals for the week and print a grocery list for them.
Plan meals easier using the new recipe linking feature.

Create your own cookbooks; maybe a family heirloom cookbook. Print your cookbook with one of the two styles available, and give it to your kids or friends. Recipes don't even need to be printed, email them; or exchange them with another CookWare Deluxe user.

One of the many great features of CookWare Deluxe recipe software is its ability to create a Shopping List. Imagine in just a few clicks you can have recipes and a shopping list ready to take to the market or maybe email it to your spouse for pick-up on the way home. Or send it to any email-ready handheld device.

gMac

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
Charleston, SC
I'll second MacZoro's praise of CookWare Deluxe. I have been using it since version 1.25 and it just keeps getting better! Plus, if you have StickyBrain software (free to .mac subscribers), you can option-click a recipe and save it to "recipes" section of StickyBrain and drag it into CookWare Deluxe later. Here's a link to find StickyBrain:

http://www.chronosnet.com/&/products/sb_index.html

mcx10

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
I've been using MasterCook for a few years and had the same problem; it only worked on Classic. I have also tried other demos out there (including CookWare) and was not happy with any of them and just kept using MasterCook.

I just found this new program called MacGourmet. It's still in beta stage but I downloaded the demo and have been playing around with it for a couple of hours. I imported all my recipes from MasterCook, added lists AND sublists and have decided this is it! I will purchase it when it's available.

You may find it here and you need Panther (OS X 10.3) to run it:
http://www.advenio.com/macgourmet/index.html

Good Luck and let me know how it goes or if you find something else you really like.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Sounds like something you could do with a database program--make a template with the appropriate entries and go from there. I really love FileMaker Pro, but the AppleWorks database is cheaper and is perfectly good.

Guntis

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
Riga, Latvia
CookWare isn't practical

I tried CookWare, and IMHO it's not good at all. It may have million good features, but the text is so small, that I need glasses to read it sitting at the computer, and I cannot imagine to read it across the kitchen table...

I tried several other apps, but it's really hard to find perfect one.

Measuring Cup (free) has very clean layout, but search is very weak. No large recipe preview available. I liked how recipe content layout is organised, but the left side of the application window is somewhat clumsy.

iCuistot is also promising, but Full screen preview did not work on my PB, bug submission from the app also could not find Internet connection. It has many good features, like Smart Recipe Albums (similar to iTunes Smart Albums), and good recipe formatting themes, etc. Unfortunately Search function did not work on my PB...

Yam! (free) has very good and fast search function, acceptable recipe formatting, although no full screen preview available. All in all, this could be the best simple recipe management software. It just needs some more features to make ot perfect.

TheRecipeManager looks promising (http://xtrememac.com/software/recipemanager.shtml), but it looks that it can't be downloaded as a demo. This could be the best, in my opinion.

charfoster

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2004
If only MasterCook worked on Mac OSX !!

I've used MasterCook Mac for years and a major missing tool in everything else I've seen has been the ability to give the nutritional values for a recipe, not just each food item using the govt. database, although several "advertise" nutritional values but not by recipe. Also, changing a recipe, proportionally as the servings change, is another missing desireable feature.
Too bad someone hasn't purchased MasterCook Mac rights from Sierra (I don't think anyone has) and brought its' operating system up-to-date. Do any of the programs previously suggested offer the above features?

mcx10

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
MacGourmet has a section to copy or insert nutritional values for each recipe but it doesn't generate its own. That might be in the works though. You may find out at:
http://www.advenio.com/phpbb2/index.php?c=5&sid=7646b41d9b2d03e99d6d9853655d624e

It does have the ability to scale recipes. When you open a recipe and click on ingredients you can multiply servings by 1, 1/2, 2 or 4.

I purchased MacGourmet and have been using it for few months. I'm very happy with it and don't miss MasterCook at all.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
A Cook's Books

A Cook's Books is a work in progress yet very functional and fun. It can import from most MasterCook files, and other sources.

You can give it a free trial from VersionTracker or direct from http://www.3caam.com/products.html. The author is very responsive to suggestions. As I recall it's $25 to register and it will include all future updates. I think it'll be around as a major contender for a long time.

I tried some other recipe software about a year ago but confess no current knowledge of other offerings.

monbri@mindspri

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2005
MacGourmet

Thank you for the MacGourmet suggestion. I have been a long time MasterCook user - and have been floundering since switching to OSX last year. I could still use my old MasterCook - but couldn't print recipes or e-mail to anyone. I tried using CookWare Deluxe - which was horrible. It was enormously complicated to bring recipes over from MasterCook and almost as difficult to add new recipes. Printouts were really hard to read - and I found myself avoiding using my recipe software.
I read this bulletin board today, imported MacGourmet and I am thrilled with it. MacGourmet doesn't do quite as much as MasterCook - but is so much better than CookWare Deluxe. I was able to import all my MasterCook recipes fairly quickly and easily - and I am having fun tweaking them in their new format. :)

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I've never been a big time e-cookbook user (at least since Mangia! went away - man, that was a great app). But I decided to look at some the other week. I tried messing around with MacGourmet and Connoisseur. I personally found Connoisseur to look a lot better. I like the iTunes style interface with the recipe browser, groups and smart groups (think playlists and smart playlists) and the online functions.

http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=Connoisseur

I'd be curious to see if any of the MacGourmet lovers have tried Connoisseur and what they think of it. Like I said, I'm not a poweruser of cookbook software. I'd like to know what features a poweruser looks for.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
JDar said:
A Cook's Books is a work in progress yet very functional and fun. It can import from most MasterCook files, and other sources.

My wife has just started to use this and it's really good.

Debdoll

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2005
Switching from Mastercook Mac

I, too, have used Mastercook for many years. I've been running it under Classic since OSX. However, we just bought a new canon printer (ip5000) and I cannot figure out how to print my recipes in 4x6 card format. I called Canon, but the tech guy couldn't help me without knowing the program.
So - I've been searching for a mac program for the past 2 days now - one that will print on 4x6 cards. I have had no luck - I've downloaded a few programs, and some of them look promising but I'd like to continue printing my cards. Anyone see a program out there that prints on 4x6?

Debdoll

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2005
MacGourmet

I downloaded about 8 different cooking software programs and really like MacGourmet. I still have a problem printing on index cards - the recipes print out in portrait on the 4x6, but at least the entire recipe prints out! THe developer says that he is making the next version capable to print out on index cards - so I'm looking forward to that.
But -I am very sad that Mastercook is no longer being produced for Mac. I have thought about using my husbands Mac which has virtual pc loaded - and buying mastercook for windows to see how that runs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.