Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eaunoire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Parents picked me up this in the states and brought it back to the uk.

This just happened

bf4f037b.jpg

Obviously its not out here yet but,

Has anyone managed to get a cheap replacement from apple in the US?

I remember reading that people got cheap iphones if they took a smashed one in.

tsekh

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Sell it, "slightly used".

Joking aside, you probably have to wait quite before parts are available. You can see if ifixit (those guys that did the teardown) can repair it for you.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if Apple notes the origin of sale, but there is a chance that if it was bought in the US, it may not be eligible for an exchange in the UK. There could be a slight difference in the internals or something on a country by country basis.

Then again, what the hell do I know. That sucks for your iPad.

triplecore1

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry for your loss, but may I ask how it happened? I hope the iPad 2 isn't to much more fragile then the first one now that I has a skinnier glass then the old one.

triplecore1

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
A pyrex measuring jug fell out a cupboard and bounced on to it :(

oouch sorry to hear that. At least when you look at the iPad 2 when its taken apart it looks like the front glass bezel should be an easy and relatively cheap replacement something which seems like you can do on your own. its better than having to buy all new tablet. ifixit.com should have apple parts and instructions if it isn't mentioned already.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Life delt you a raw deal my friend. Wait until the iPad2 is released in the UK and bring it to an Apple store and explain what happened. Be strait up with them. Apple stores have a good deal of latitude on what they will cover under warranty. If your honest with them they may cut you a break, BS them and your likely to get nothing. Apple wants you to be a life long Apple user and they will often go the distance to win you over. Good luck.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Sorry for your loss, but may I ask how it happened? I hope the iPad 2 isn't to much more fragile then the first one now that I has a skinnier glass then the old one.

I had both and the iPad2 doesn't seem any more fragile than the first one. Actually, I didn't think either one was. Like my iPhone I always handle with care. Anything can break, especially when you're not careful in the handling.

Oops, sorry . . . accidents happen :(

Last edited by a moderator:

xMBPx

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
Mail it to me with the receipt,box, etc... Along with a $50 handling fee and I'll see what I can do about getting anything done under warranty. ;)

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Ouch! Same exact thing happened to me with our flat top stove. Pyrex was good as new but a big crack in the corner of the cooktop. :confused:

On a lighter now, how did your Pyrex measuring cup fare? :D

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Thats why we have household insurance guys....make sure you claim or get you parents to claim....don't take no for an answer. some one in you house pays for household.....claim.

I cant see how this is apple's issue at all....they might be kind if your really lucky and they are trying to negate negative press issues.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Bad luck! Terrible when accidents happen!
So, I am guessing you want some factual info...
Once the iPad 2 is released in the UK, you can book a genius appointment and they will exchange it for a fee for another iPad 2 (providing they have a replacement model, otherwise they will order it and call you when it is in store, you keep your broken one during this time though, and then exchange it).
Apple warranty is universal, so it has no bearing that you bought it in the USA. If you were very nice and stated that it broke very easily and don't tell them about the jug then you may get it replaced for free. Depends how good an actor you are and the genius on the day. Otherwise it is an in warranty replacement, but as it was user caused you will have to pay around £129 to get it replaced.
Painless

Snoggin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Thats one of the parts sourced from Japan that may be in short supply because of the quake... I heard that on the news this am and they said it may cause apple problems in producing Ipad 2's

Parents picked me up this in the states and brought it back to the uk.

This just happened

bf4f037b.jpg

Obviously its not out here yet but,

Has anyone managed to get a cheap replacement from apple in the US?

I remember reading that people got cheap iphones if they took a smashed one in.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
So Pyrex: 1 Apple: 0

"As part of its work to slim down the iPad 2, Apple reduced the thickness of the tablet's glass overlay by 25%, from 0.8 millimeters to 0.6 millimeters"

Not saying the original would have survived this - but it likely would have had a better chance...

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Enough with the thin and light product... it's a fixation! Please just make one comfortable WITHOUT sacrificing QUALITY! If a quality sturdy product weighs as much as the original without sacrificing, please go with quality!

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Enough with the thin and light product... it's a fixation! Please just make one comfortable WITHOUT sacrificing QUALITY! If a quality sturdy product weighs as much as the original without sacrificing, please go with quality!

Dude, he dropped a heavy glass jug on it from several feet from what I can tell. I doubt there is a screen on any mobile or laptop that would be 100% safe from that.

The iPad is metal and glass.. not exactly what I think of when I think cheap electronics. All the early tests say its actually pretty durable glass, but unless you are toting around some half an inch thick glass you will be able to shatter it with the right kind of impact. Like this kind.

-------

So I'm curious, how well does the touch screen work up where its broken? Obviously I'd want a nice fresh one and would replace it, just wondering if thats actually still 100% functional.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.