Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Fellow members!

I was lucky to score an iPad at Fashion Island a few days ago - 64 gig AT&T black - couldn't be happier!

A quick review, as I was an iPad 1 owner -

First off, I was not "in love" with the iPad 1 - I love Apple and I love gadgets, so I bought an iPad, but it was hard to fall in love

I found iPad 1 to be WAY TOO HEAVY, to the point that it was rather unusable, as your arm would get tired and you'd just say, "Hell with it! I'll use my iPhone or laptop!"

Anyways, I completely LOVE the iPad 2 - here's why -

1. WEIGHT & DESIGN - Yes, the iPad is still "heavy" on the whole, but honestly, you can hold this model in your hand a LOT LONGER than you could iPad 1 --- the design also makes it much easier to hold and much easier to type - overall, the design and weight alone make this iPad much more usable

2. FAST - everything is noticeably faster - the iPad 1 suffered from a considerable amount of apps failing on you, just because the processor couldn't keep up - I have only had a few apps shut down on me, while using iPad 2 - it's a huge improvement

3. SCREEN - I know the screen is the same, per se, but honestly, this screen seems brighter

Otherwise, I don't know what else to add?

I find myself doing a number of things on this iPad on almost a daily basis, primarily -

1. I use it everyday to read the news - mostly my subscription to the Wall Street Journal and Huffington Post (I'm a blogger there) - I prefer reading news off my iPad 2 than my MacBook

2. I am doing all my photo editing on the iPad 2 now - I absolutely adore Adobe's PhotoShop Express

3. I'm watching a LOT of movies on this thing, while I'm lounging in bed - yeah, I should probably watch over my TV, but it's pretty sweet to just load up your fav movie on NetFlix or iTunes and start watching --- and the lighter weight makes it easy to hold

Anyways - it's a great improvement over the last model and if you're an iPad power-user, I highly recommend upgrading - it is WORTH it!

Lastly, the smart-cover is awesome - definitely buy one!

Love and peace all!

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Congrats on your iPad 2, and yes I agree if feels like a very different experience from the weight and form factor to how fast everything is. I can't speak much for the screen being brighter, but I guess it's possible as they did change the glass it could be a bit different.

I purchased the iPad 2 hoping it would feel faster, and have been pleasantly surprised how fast it is. I use large PDFs in iBooks and the render/load times have been dramatically reduced. Well worth the upgrade for me.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I cringe when I see people talk about gadgets/hardware and speak about falling in love and adoring it. Its just a gadget...not a person

However some of your points were good. I dont get the iPad original being too heavy though.. loads of people keep saying this but i really dont get it... either you guys are seriously out of shape... or you have twiglet arms.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I found iPad 1 to be WAY TOO HEAVY, to the point that it was rather unusable, as your arm would get tired and you'd just say, "Hell with it! I'll use my iPhone or laptop!"

1. WEIGHT & DESIGN - Yes, the iPad is still "heavy" on the whole, but honestly, you can hold this model in your hand a LOT LONGER than you could iPad 1 --- the design also makes it much easier to hold and much easier to type - overall, the design and weight alone make this iPad much more usable

Isn't it only 0.2lbs lighter than the first version, how can you tell the difference. Maybe more to do with the design alone, than weight?

I cringe when I see people talk about gadgets/hardware and speak about falling in love and adoring it. Its just a gadget...not a person

However some of your points were good. I dont get the iPad original being too heavy though.. loads of people keep saying this but i really dont get it... either you guys are seriously out of shape... or you have twiglet arms.

Love is an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment. As simple as that. Why must it only be okay to love a person?

As for the weight, are you serious? The absolute weight of the iPad doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try and hold it. If you hold it for a minute that's not a problem. If you hold it for an hour, you'll have an ache in your arm. If you hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case it's the same weight, but the longer you hold it the heavier it becomes. :rolleyes:

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008

I agree. My wife would make the same comment about hers. I never thought mine was heavy. I her the same iPad 2 as the OP. I love it. It is lighter and faster, but seems flimsier than than the original iPad because of it. The smart cover is only showing us how smart apple is to get our money for a product that does not protect anything bit show off the auto-on and auto-off feature. I thought of te ten plus cases I had for the original iPad, the apple case was the best. There is nothing like that now. The cameras I never really wanted and or really terrible. I am not disappointed with, but I can expense this purchase off of my law office. If you are looking or your first iPad and your are not a power user (I use it extensively for work and play) then the best bargain is getting the original iPad for $100.00 off. A we on these boards are fanatics, even a slight trickle of an upgrade from Apple will drive us nuts. I am living proof of that.

JorgeG

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
That .17 lbs isnt a huge difference, but combined with the feel of the 2nd gen you can feel that difference. :D

The dual core definitely adds to productivity for all you power users. The average user would get away with the A4 and not notice.

There is a tiny but not noticeable difference in brightness, but games such as real racing 2 and infinity blade show great differences optimized for iPad 2.

Thinner, better feel when holding, graphics, look, all nicer!

Hope I could help!

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Isn't it only 0.2lbs lighter than the first version, how can you tell the difference. Maybe more to do with the design alone, than weight?

Love is an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment. As simple as that. Why must it only be okay to love a person?

As for the weight, are you serious? The absolute weight of the iPad doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try and hold it. If you hold it for a minute that's not a problem. If you hold it for an hour, you'll have an ache in your arm. If you hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case it's the same weight, but the longer you hold it the heavier it becomes. :rolleyes:

loving something in this term as in "I love it its fun!" is basically en exagerated way of saying like.

However, what I mean by it being awquard is the term "Falling in Love" thats ridiculous. You can only fall in love with a person, isnt real love a 2 way thing... you get loved back. A machine cannot do that.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
loving something in this term as in "I love it its fun!" is basically en exagerated way of saying like.

However, what I mean by it being awquard is the term "Falling in Love" thats ridiculous. You can only fall in love with a person, isnt real love a 2 way thing... you get loved back. A machine cannot do that.

No, real love is not a two way thing. I can love a person without the feeling being reciprocated

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
1. Strangely enough, it does feel lighter. When you pick up the first gen and then iPad 2 you do notice the difference.

2. The under the hood improvements do make it peppier for sure. You notice that right away.

3. The screen on 2 is brighter. I went to the speedtest.net app on each iPad and on iPad 2 it was a lot brighter.

I'm very happy I upgraded and happy I was lucky enough to get one on launch Saturday.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I am not sure I agree with so many saying how much lighter the iPad 2 than the iPad 1

I have played with the iPad 2 for a day now and is it lighter? Sure. But is it a significant difference? I just don't see it. It is basically the same weight when I hold it with one hand or carry it around

PriceH

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can't really say it's that huge of an improvement, but any weight shaved off is better than none.

I was very torn between iPad 2 and the 11' macbook air, but after the addition of apple's wireless keyboard I feel like I can do pretty much everything I would have done on the mba, but also have the added bonus of ditching the keyboard and having the most kick-ass tablet on earth! Love this thing and it's only going to get better (iOS 5, etc.) Can't wait to see what the future holds.

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
The cameras I never really wanted and or really terrible.

Actually, the cameras are great for video chats or conferencing. I was originally skeptical about this, but using Skype has been a great on this thing. Granted, the app is not iPad optimized, but it works fine as I just for simple video calls. The best part of it is that you can multitask and use other apps while keeping the Skype call ruining in the background. I'm sure this is the case for Facetime users as well.

The last thing is that I can run Skype on the iPad 2 while I use my MacBook Pro for work during the call. Skype is quite a CPU hog on the Macs, so this setup really frees it from being bogged down by Skype.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
if you do all your photo 'editing' on the ipad, you're not really editing photos. PS express and the like work in a pinch for snapshots, but I'd argue you're not editing real photographs as the apps are too limited.

2. I am doing all my photo editing on the iPad 2 now - I absolutely adore Adobe's PhotoShop Express

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
if you do all your photo 'editing' on the ipad, you're not really editing photos. PS express and the like work in a pinch for snapshots, but I'd argue you're not editing real photographs as the apps are too limited.

They get the job done for me, brother!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.