Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
florida
My iPad 2 had subpar battery life since I started using it 3 days ago. But after reading a thread on here that said the ping service was killing the battery life of devices running 4.3. So go to settings>general>restrictions and turn ping off. I did it last night and my battery is doing great. Normally after about a hour of use I'm at about 80% but now after nearly 2 hours of use I'm still at 95%. Good luck.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
I also disabled in app purchasis because i don't want to end up paying for some overpriced video or whatever.

Edit: i ment of course by accident.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
My Restrictions were disabled to begin with.

Right, but this doesn't mean that the "feature is off". It means that the restriction is off. Turning on the restriction will turn off the feature. This is what the OP is saying. If you don't have any restrictions, it means everything is running.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Right, but this doesn't mean that the "feature is off". It means that the restriction is off. Turning on the restriction will turn off the feature. This is what the OP is saying. If you don't have any restrictions, it means everything is running.

Gotcha, so enable restrictions and then turn off ping. Any other ones I should turn off for battery's sake?

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Did this the other night and it had no effect on my 3Gs. Had 100% going to bed, 83% upon waking and now I have 55% and only listened to music and did light web browsing on the short bus ride to work. Battery completely went to **** once I updated. Haven't tested my iPad 1 yet as I let it dwindle down to nothing and put it on the charger last night.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Did this the other night and it had no effect on my 3Gs. Had 100% going to bed, 83% upon waking and now I have 55% and only listened to music and did light web browsing on the short bus ride to work. Battery completely went to **** once I updated. Haven't tested my iPad 1 yet as I let it dwindle down to nothing and put it on the charger last night.

Double check your email settings and make sure they are correct. You might have push turned on there unintentionally.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Double check your email settings and make sure they are correct. You might have push turned on there unintentionally.

I do. BUT... I always have it set on hourly. I know this drains the battery more than without it on, but I always had it like this and now the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.

JohnDG

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

Put it in Airplane mode before putting it to sleep.

jdg

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Put it in Airplane mode before putting it to sleep.

jdg

I think you're missing the point. I had no problems with battery life before under my normal usage. I was satisfied with my battery life. I am having battery life issues now with the new OS under the exact same usage which shouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
I have not seen any battery related issues in 4.3. I had wifi on all day yesterday through early this morning and I still had power left. I've heard turning off Ping is a placebo. Can anyone provide actual evidence of it increasing battery performance?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Can anyone explain what the ping feature does and why you would need it turned on? Would turning it off effect getting push notifications?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Can anyone explain what the ping feature does and why you would need it turned on? Would turning it off effect getting push notifications?

Ping is Apple's sorry attempt at a music-based social network. Disabling it seemed to cut my hourly battery idle discharge by a third and also caused me to save a bit of data, as well. It doesn't affect push notifications.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Ping is Apple's sorry attempt at a music-based social network. Disabling it seemed to cut my hourly battery idle discharge by a third and also caused me to save a bit of data, as well. It doesn't affect push notifications.

Duh... thanks for the quick response. I forgot about Apple's Ping service in iTunes. I was thinking it referred how the iPad connected to the internet. Guess Ill turn it off then since my gut feeling is that my new iPad 2 has a slightly shorter battery life than my original iPad.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Double check your email settings and make sure they are correct. You might have PULL turned on there unintentionally.

There fixed that for you

Push won't affect battery life all that much... 8 hours into my day with no usage and all my push services on, including email and I'm still at 100% right now.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
florida
I started this post at 11:15 and I hade 95% it is now 5:03 and I'm still at 77%. I've been surfing the web, on facebook, and about 12 YouTube videos. Normally I would have been under 50 probaly mid 40's. So yea turn off ping.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
I started this post at 11:15 and I hade 95% it is now 5:03 and I'm still at 77%. I've been surfing the web, on facebook, and about 12 YouTube videos. Normally I would have been under 50 probaly mid 40's. So yea turn off ping.

Sound like something is wrong with your iPad. All you're doing when you turn off ping in the restrictions is disabling the use of it -- so, for example, your child wouldn't be able to use the ping social service. THAT DOES NOT mean that ping is continually running. I have not setup up ping, have not used ping in iTunes or in iTunes on the iPad and have not enabled restrictions and disabled it and I have not noticed any poor battery performance. Disabling ping is a placebo. Being at %50 after six hours of using wifi heavily is pretty good. You are supposed to get 10 hours of wifi so that's really on par.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
florida
Sound like something is wrong with your iPad. All you're doing when you turn off ping in the restrictions is disabling the use of it -- so, for example, your child wouldn't be able to use the ping social service. THAT DOES NOT mean that ping is continually running. I have not setup up ping, have not used ping in iTunes or in iTunes on the iPad and have not enabled restrictions and disabled it and I have not noticed any poor battery performance. Disabling ping is a placebo. Being at %50 after six hours of using wifi heavily is pretty good. You are supposed to get 10 hours of wifi so that's really on par.

Yea but I was at 50% after 6 hours but since I disabled ping after 6 hours of heavy wifi use, I'm in the early 90's late 80's. So it's doing something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.