Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was curious what everyone thought about the iPad not coming with headphones. I know it's not meant to be a portable device like the iPod or iPhone, but I figured they would toss a set of headphones in there anyway. I know I am probably over-thinking it & I should look at it more as a laptop device than a portable device (and I don't think laptops come with headphones either), but I was genuinely a little surprised when I saw they weren't included.

And to beat the flamers to the punch:

"Cool story bro!"
"You're a dumbass!"
"Why is this even a thread?"
"Why would they include headphones?"
"It's not like you are going jogging with the thing!"

Reactions: stylinexpat

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I was a little surprised, too, last year with the original iPad...

Seems to me like it wouldn't have killed them to have thrown a pair in there, but what are ya' gonna do? :)

Reactions: LiveM

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I like how you Preempted all the standard Apple defenses. It's just so typical for people to slam the consumer when we simply are curious on why Apple didn't do something. It's not like we're asking for a BOSE headset. Just the cheapie ones because they cost nothing and the old ones we're using are all gray and nasty.

But unfortunately Apple's minimalistic approach has become a money making scheme. They no longer include the remote with Macs despite them being fantastic MediaCenter devices with Front Row. And with such a low powered internal iPad/Touch speaker then the standard headphones would be all you need for doing a garage band scratch track on the bus or doing an iMovie edit in the park. So it's a shame they aren't included, but if you really want it you can buy one for... $30???

Reactions: Wackery

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm actually glad they didn't include headphones, I've got tons of unused headphones piling up in the closet from various iPods. They are just as bad as computer mice, which I also don't use because I prefer trackballs, but you can't use the joke that "See, they multiply like mice!"

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
Because being an iPod is just one function of the iPad and my guess is Apple thought that including them would make people think the iPad was just an iPod touch with some added functions, instead of a tablet computer that also happens to have iPod functionality.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Maybe they like to think headphones+case/cover= up to $100 more spent on pretty basic accessories per unit sold. Add a dock and some kind of cable and it equals the price of an iPod nano.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Probably the same reason it doesn't come with a printed manual, a CD-ROM setup disc, a vinyl carrying case, and a cleaning cloth:

Those sort of items add to the Bill-Of-Materials cost, and ultimately drive up the retail price. And yet most people can use their iPads perfectly well without them.

Apple is as good as any company in tech at figuring out how to take cost out of devices. They were the first to ditch the floppy drive in PCs. And many, many people ripped them for their decision not to include cameras in the first gen iPad.

Reactions: russell_314

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
I like how you Preempted all the standard Apple defenses. It's just so typical for people to slam the consumer when we simply are curious on why Apple didn't do something. It's not like we're asking for a BOSE headset. Just the cheapie ones because they cost nothing and the old ones we're using are all gray and nasty.

Everyone has or SHOULD have better earphones than the standard Apple ones.

besides, "standard Apple defenses"'
let's see, how a non-Apple company handles this.

6197533-620-297.jpg

Interesting

Last edited:
Reactions: LiveM

FutureStan

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Everyone has or SHOULD have better earphones than the standard Apple ones.
besides 'standard Apple defenses'

let's see, how a non-Apple company handles this.

6197533-620-297.jpg

Interesting

The answer is actually very simple, because earphones usually defines MP3-Players / Phones. and putting earphones with iPad would risk defining the iPad as one of the two...

Now Scratch All That And Read: Because its cheaper.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It's not just iPads/iPhones that this applies to. As far as I know, pretty much all smartphones come with earbuds and pretty much no tablets do. I guess manufacturers figure that phones are more likely to be used as personal music players, and also, must people who buy tablets probably already have earbuds for their phones. If another set of earbuds had come with my iPad, they would still be sitting in the box untouched right now.

Reactions: Paninnguaq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.