Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcdegr33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Does anyone know of an app that automatically sends a text message when you leave a specific location? For example, when I leave work, I'd like my iPhone to send a text message to my wife to let her know that I'm on my way home. I've searched in the forums, app store, google, but I haven't been able to come up with anything.

As a side note, I did see an article about an app with this functionality, but I didn't download it when I saw it at the time (about 7-8 months ago). I thought I saw it on tuaw.com, but I haven't been able to find it again.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
You could always use bitesms and have the auto text set up. (If you are jailbroken) I'm assuming you leave work everyday at the same time, so you can set it to send her a text everyday at that specific time.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
there is SMSbite (jailbreak / cyida app) that has this function. to enable schedule:

when you are typing a text,make the cut/copy/paste function pop up and click on the SMSbite icon then click on the clock.

other than SMSbite, i am not sure what other app does this

edit; darn got beat to it hah

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
If you leave work at the same time every night, why is there a need to alert someone that you are leaving?
I think the true issue here is to have a saved list of most used texts, one of which could be "on my way home". These could be saved as favorites, similar to phone numbers on the favorites list. You would have to attach a specific person to the favorite as well to keep it quick, one button type access thing. That way, it could be used in any situation, not just when leaving work.

Its an interesting idea. Someone smarter than me can probably come up with a better way to implement it, but it would have to be something that you could access outside of a specific app.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Excellent idea. I hope at some point iOS will have geographic profiles - the apps I need at work are different than the apps I use at home for instance.

An obvious feature to link to a given geographic profile would be to be able to send texts when leaving/entering its location. Lots of latitude there to keep track of ne'er-do-well offspring, wayward elderly parents, etc....

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Do you shut down your computer when you leave work or at least log out of your mail account? If so, why not setup a script or mail rule that sends her a message (most providers can receive texts as an smtp mail message) during shutdown?

Alternate...don't notify her and let it be a surprise for her and her secret love interest! :D

dubnde

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
UK
Does anyone know of an app that automatically sends a text message when you leave a specific location? For example, when I leave work, I'd like my iPhone to send a text message to my wife to let her know that I'm on my way home. I've searched in the forums, app store, google, but I haven't been able to come up with anything.

As a side note, I did see an article about an app with this functionality, but I didn't download it when I saw it at the time (about 7-8 months ago). I thought I saw it on tuaw.com, but I haven't been able to find it again.

This is a brilliant idea - one of potential uses of NFC especially for children from school. When they get home, they can just tap the phone on the magnetic NFC tag poster thingy on the fridge and it sends sms telling parents "I am home". At work, have an NFC tag on your table/screen at work and just tap your phone before you leave and it sends an sms to whoever is configured. That is the near future anyway!

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
At no time did the OP say he was leaving work at the same time! This is why he wants it to alarm when he leaves a location.:cool:

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
i may be interested in this also. maybe some sort of GPS activated automatic sms message? i DON'T leave work everyday at the same time, since leaving for the day depends on my workload. it would be nice to automate sending a "coming home" message based on leaving a specific gps location.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Android has several apps that can do this, most notable tasker.

Well, if you don't have Android...you don't have Android. :p

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK

That does look interesting. I've thought a couple of times that it would be nice to have something that automatically turns off password protection when I'm at home (which I'd define as having my home wifi network available).

iOS 5 perhaps?? :rolleyes:

sonicare

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010

How about you stop sucking up to your wife and grow a pair?

sonicare

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
It's called the P-Whipped app.
It's on sale for $.99 on iTunes now!

LMAO...wish I could rep you.

Seriously OP, stop being a lapdog and become a man. I mean what next, you gonna install a tracking device in your shoes?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Ha, ha, this one really turned bad. It does seem pointless to send a message the same time every day. Is the person receiving the message sleeping or busy? Why can't they look at the clock or set their own alarm?

Glad I'm not P-whipped. :D

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
I use ilocalis. http://ilocalis.com/
It does a lot. It's mainly used in case your phone is lost or stolen. But it has a feature that's pretty cool. You can set up "alert zones". When ever you leave or enter a zone that you set up it will send out an email or a text to any address or phone number you specify. Also pretty handy if you wanted to track someone. :rolleyes:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
At no time did the OP say he was leaving work at the same time! This is why he wants it to alarm when he leaves a location.:cool:

He didn't state a lot of things. Now you're just assuming he starts at different times each day. A normal job starts and ends at the same time everyday.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
How about you stop sucking up to your wife and grow a pair?

really? :rolleyes: childish behaviour at best.

im not going to judge you to why you need to announce your "coming home" but why cant you manually type "be home soon" send! in the parking lot of your work?

this is what i do currently.

for those that think that letting your wife know when you are leaving work is being "whipped" obviously have neven been in an adult relationship, and i refuse to explain my reasoning.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Yep. Plus dedicated apps to automatically text when you're getting close to your destination, to change ringer profile, you name it.

Well, if you don't have Android...you don't have Android. :p

Cute :)

True, millions of people are missing out on what smartphones can really do to make life convenient, when they're not locked down.

Apple has in the past presented UI patents related to location, so let's keep our fingers crossed that they don't keep pulling the same "oh but it uses too much battery" excuse. I'll decide the best use of my battery, thank you.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Not sure if these are quite what you are looking for but here we go:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/georeminder/id398922761?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alarmap-pro/id398479955?mt=8#

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/im-coming/id396860392?mt=8

They could probably be set up that when you hit a point, maybe a few blocks from work, to send the message out? Just a thought! :)

im still not sure why you cant just type the sms manually, why rely on locations services and GPS to be functioning properly

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Not sure if these are quite what you are looking for but here we go:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/georeminder/id398922761?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alarmap-pro/id398479955?mt=8#

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/im-coming/id396860392?mt=8

They could probably be set up that when you hit a point, maybe a few blocks from work, to send the message out? Just a thought! :)

thanks, i'm going to give alarmap a try!

im still not sure why you cant just type the sms manually, why rely on locations services and GPS to be functioning properly

why not? right now, i DO type an sms manually. do youhave direct deposit for your paycheck? why, when you can just go to the bank to make the deposit. we have iphones, so why not automate some activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.