Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mozilla today announced the official release of Firefox 4, the latest version of the organization's popular Internet browser, for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. With support for over 80 languages, Firefox 4 brings speed enhancements as well as a sleek new user interface, increased customizability, and new security and privacy features.
Firefox 4 is the fastest Firefox yet. With dramatic speed and performance advancements across the board, Firefox is between two and six times faster than previous releases. Major enhancements to the JavaScript engine make everything from startup time to page load speed to graphics and JavaScript performance screaming fast in Firefox.

The latest version of Firefox introduces a sleek new look that lets Web content take center stage. With features like App Tabs and Panorama, Firefox makes it easier and more efficient to navigate the Web. Firefox delivers industry-leading privacy and security features like Do Not Track and Content Security Policy to give users control over their personal data and protect them online.
Firefox 4.0 is of course a free download, with the Mac version requiring a minimum of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Article Link: Mozilla Releases Firefox 4 With Speed Enhancements and New Look

a1exey1azar

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Washington DC
Mozilla Releases Firefox 4 With Speed Enhancements and New Look

Mozilla Releases Firefox 4 With Speed Enhancements and New Look.., with ****ing up your Digital Certificates...

Last edited by a moderator:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Can't wait to download it. I'm sick of Safari constantly crashing.

By saying this, I don't know if one could infer you were having trouble with Firefox prior to 4 being released, but I definitely have problems with Firefox currently.

I have been forced to use Safari because prior to 4, I have been experiencing slow downs and freeze ups. Hopefully 4 changes this, because Firefox is superior in some ways.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
ok, let's see if it is better than FF3...

FF3 hangs a lot for me, it may be some add-on but after several trials I haven't been able to pin-point it...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Been using it since yester-evening. Definitely speedier, i'd say slightly faster than Safari but still behind Chrome and is overall more streamlined but Safari is still 'leaner' and it's integration with OS X and integrated H.264 support means it will remain my default browser.

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Firefox 4 is a definite improvement but for some reason i cant watch Flash content in the browser. I even updated to the latest version of Flash. I guess i'll have to stick with Chrome.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Seems to always pause before it actually loads a page.

Otherwise it's just another browser, like all the others. Ultimately they're all pretty much the same. It's like getting into a heated discussion over the best brand of tomato soup, or the best flavor of urinal cake.

However, I will say that 4.0 doesn't detect RSS feeds properly, like Adobe's CS5 updates feed and MR's homepage.

Last edited:

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
200pxfirefoxclinteastwo.jpg

I hope they worked out the bugs (at least the major ones) I tried the FF4 Beta on 3 computers and had lots of issues on all three (1 Mac 2 Windows)

I'll stick with Chrome for now.

Last edited:

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
it doesn't open in 10.5? it says it's a universal binary at the download, but the app itself is intel only? (BTW I'm on a G5)

EDIT: it's missleading, the icon is teh universal binary but it doesn't say anywhere that it is, it is in fact just intel, and these FF people don't support PPC anymore?

Last edited:

dotheDVDeed

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
it doesn't open in 10.5? it says it's a universal binary at the download, but the app itself is intel only? (BTW I'm on a G5)

EDIT: it's missleading, the icon is teh universal binary but it doesn't say anywhere that it is, it is in fact just intel, and these FF people don't support PPC anymore?

Nope, at least that's what I've heard.

You need this apparently

http://www.floodgap.com:80/software/tenfourfox/

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
No problems here. I love it. I'll take firefox with ghostery (blocks trackers), better privacy (deletes flash "cookies") and ad blocker plus over chrome or safari any day. V4 is much faster. The speed difference is like night and day.

No problems with flash on youtube.

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
This is random, but is there a way to hide the icons next to the bookmarks on the toolbar?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
ram memory usage

can anyone comment on memory usage of this version. While i DO like chrome, it consumes SO MUCH MEMORY when doing a bit of tabbed browsing. I'm finally happy with my settings for FF3.x, and the memory usage but don't want to move backwards with FF4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.