Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flinko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a mac mini. 1.42ghz g4. It is old but factory sealed. In the box was a vga to dvi adapter. I bought a vga to vga cable and proceeded to connect this to my samsung lcd tv. The white screen comes up and the circular thingy spins for a bit, and the Apple start up sound happens. Then the only thing that happens is a small bit of writing that writes mode not supported! Please can someone help...
thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you tried any of these steps?

Can you boot from the grey Restore CD?

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under How do I get help with a hardware or software problem)
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
vga to vga cable and proceeded to connect this to my samsung lcd tv. The white screen comes up and the circular thingy spins for a bit, and the Apple start up sound happens. Then the only thing that happens is a small bit of writing that writes mode not supported!

Your mini does not support your Samsung TV resolution. G4 minis are known to be picky about displays. Try reset PRAM but I doubt that it will help.
You can also try different connection type, via DVI to HDMI cable/adapter.

Last edited:

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi flinko,
please try to lower the TVs resolution when it ISN'T plugged in the Mini (start the TV without being hooked-up to the Mini, find the 'Settings' for the TV res. & see if you can set it lower so your Mini can communicate with it & then you can adjust the res. from the Mini later on).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.