Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
I was browsing iTMS today and after noting the normal free song of the week, I happened to notice that the rotating ad in the upper right switches to show two additional free songs. Clicking on them reveals that there is going to be a new single each week for Ryan Seacrest's AT 40 and for Carson Daly's Most Requested. So, now there are at least 3 free songs per week on the US store. (I can't comment about other countries, though--bring on the complaints.)

This gives Apple even more ammo behind its "Free music for your iPod" flyer it puts with all new iPods.

On another note, I think the Pepsi promotion is going to be huge this year. There are at least 5 times as many iPod users this year as last year at this time and these people are very likely to use iTMS. Combine this with the millions who use iTunes but don't have an iPod yet (but want one) and the fact that the Pepsi bottles look like they will have significantly greater distribution this time, and it will be huge.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
that's pretty cool actually. From what I can see, there are 2 free songs rotating in the ad in the upper right, plus in the center, there's a static button for a free song download, and in the right center area there's a free download for like a half-hour long hip-hop set. Although they're all pretty cool and the music isn't terrible, it still isn't what I'm interested in. Most of apple's free downloads are always in a very narrow genre, consisting of rock-pop and emerging hip-hop. Can't we get something cool like a latin jazz track? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.