Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joseph.s.jones

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys I just came here to post as I am a bit worried,

My MBA (Late 2010) was getting sluggish, tabs were taking longer to open and pages documents longer to save. Then the computer completely went black and unresponsive with 10 mins battery left and when I plugged it in and turned it back on the clock had been reset to 01/01/2001 and it had forgotten my WIFI password.

I am now worried about a couple of things. Why did it crash? Did its battery die? Why when it said it still had some charge left? Has the SMC gone wrong or something?

Also it was slowing down and getting worse for the past couple of hours, far before the complete crash happened. Any idea what's up or how to resolve it?

Also do you know what else I can expect to be missing or which settings might now be screwed other than the clock and wifi password so I can fix them?

Many thanks,

Joseph

Edit: Battery health has now dropped an additional 6% since crash. What's up?

More importantly, I just verified my permissions and there are about 30-50 problems and every time I repair it says they're fixed but then I check again and they're all still there. One entry also says:
"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I'm even more worried now!

Last edited:

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Boot using the install USB disk and repair permissions within the installer

Hey guys I just came here to post as I am a bit worried,

My MBA (Late 2010) was getting sluggish, tabs were taking longer to open and pages documents longer to save. Then the computer completely went black and unresponsive with 10 mins battery left and when I plugged it in and turned it back on the clock had been reset to 01/01/2001 and it had forgotten my WIFI password.

I am now worried about a couple of things. Why did it crash? Did its battery die? Why when it said it still had some charge left? Has the SMC gone wrong or something?

Also it was slowing down and getting worse for the past couple of hours, far before the complete crash happened. Any idea what's up or how to resolve it?

Also do you know what else I can expect to be missing or which settings might now be screwed other than the clock and wifi password so I can fix them?

Many thanks,

Joseph

Edit: Battery health has now dropped an additional 6% since crash. What's up?

More importantly, I just verified my permissions and there are about 30-50 problems and every time I repair it says they're fixed but then I check again and they're all still there. One entry also says:
"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I'm even more worried now!

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
SUID are not writable or repairable. That what the apple man told me. Mine has the same SUID message every time also. And every time I check repairs it seems to be the same dozen or so needs repaired. I wonder if it all goes back after a restart.

I really have not worried about it, my computer runs great with no problems. I just figure the repair message is normal on certain files.

As far as your battery, maybe it was off by 10 minutes and you crashed?

Looking forward to hearing the experts though.

joseph.s.jones

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Boot using the install USB disk and repair permissions within the installer

I will try that, could that have been the source of all my problems though? What could the permissions problems have caused?

SUID are not writable or repairable. That what the apple man told me. Mine has the same SUID message every time also. And every time I check repairs it seems to be the same dozen or so needs repaired. I wonder if it all goes back after a restart.

I really have not worried about it, my computer runs great with no problems. I just figure the repair message is normal on certain files.

As far as your battery, maybe it was off by 10 minutes and you crashed?

Looking forward to hearing the experts though.

If it was off by 10 minutes I can understand it crashing, if this is the case would it explain the problems like the clock being reset and the wifi passwords being lost and god knows what else I have yet to find being messed up?

Also why was it inaccurate, does the SMC need resetting?

Would a problem with the SMC also explain why my battery health has dropped 6% since the crash too?

I'm just worried something is going majorly wrong with my mac now :confused:

EDIT: I just tried the booting the the recovery USB and repairing the permissions, this worked apart from the one it said it couldn't repair HOWEVER when restarted the laptop and verified the permissions again the long list of faults were back. Help?

Also any further advice on all the different problems?

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I will try that, could that have been the source of all my problems though? What could the permissions problems have caused?

If it was off by 10 minutes I can understand it crashing, if this is the case would it explain the problems like the clock being reset and the wifi passwords being lost and god knows what else I have yet to find being messed up?

Also why was it inaccurate, does the SMC need resetting?

Would a problem with the SMC also explain why my battery health has dropped 6% since the crash too?

I'm just worried something is going majorly wrong with my mac now :confused:

EDIT: I just tried the booting the the recovery USB and repairing the permissions, this worked apart from the one it said it couldn't repair HOWEVER when restarted the laptop and verified the permissions again the long list of faults were back. Help?

Also any further advice on all the different problems?

I expected that, for mine does the same thing. I think the permission journal wrong user issues is normal on a boat up. I can go repair them, it says it does but check them again and back to the same. I do not think that is causing any problems for you if you do have any??

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
and what if since you crashed your system you need to re-calibrate your battery. There is a few threads on re-calibrating your battery. Or hopefully some better experienced users will pipe in for you.

halledise

macrumors 68000

that one is a mystery but it never gets 'repaired' by disk utility, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

here are some steps to try (some have already been mentioned)

shut down.
connect power cord.
reset SMC [shift+control+option+power button altogether]
wait 10 seconds.

startup with power cord attached, holding down option+command+p+r until you hear the startup chime 3 or 4 times.
now allow to start normally.

if that don't fix your problems - back up your home folder (remembering to do an archive of your iCal and Address Book first)

then startup from your usb restore stick, select disk utility and repair permissions from there.

if that don't fix your problems -
then either head to the local Apple Store - though I'd call Apple first to lodge the support case -
or if you know how,
startup from your usb restore stick, wipe the sucker and start a fresh install of everything.

rebuilding your Mac is not an overly long or complex task these days, especially with an Air equipped with flash storage.

good luck - let us know how you get on :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.