Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jddar

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
Also, what new iOS 5 features and enhancements will make our iPad 2's feel like brand new again this summer?

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I'm really surprised we haven't seen one yet. To be honest - it makes me feel like we might not see iOS 5 until much later this year. With rumors of iPhone 5 pegging it similar to iPhone 4 - no major hardware change may indicate no iOS 5

(Just guessing.)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I'm really surprised we haven't seen one yet. To be honest - it makes me feel like we might not see iOS 5 until much later this year. With rumors of iPhone 5 pegging it similar to iPhone 4 - no major hardware change may indicate no iOS 5

(Just guessing.)

Apple doesn't want to steal the thunder from the iPad launch by showing everyone the amazing new features that it's currently lacking. I'd guess sometime in April, with a release with the iPhone 5.

Predictions:

- New notifications system.
- Some sort of home screen update. Widgets on the search screen? Apps can update their icons?
- Multitasking gestures for iPad. Maybe some new multitasking UI now that the iPad 2 has more horsepower.
- Lots of new developer stuff, small tweaks.

Last edited:

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I'd love to see a new notification system as well as updates to Maps (such as route changing as you can do in the web interface of Google Maps, auto suggest, etc).

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apple doesn't want to steal the thunder from the iPad launch by showing everyone the amazing new features that it's currently lacking. I'd guess sometime in April, with a release with the iPhone 5.

This is very, very true. Plus early April is when the event was last year. We don't really have any reason to worry until we are already a week into April with no event announcement.

Predictions:

- New notifications system.
- Some sort of home screen update. Widgets on the search screen? Apps can update their icons?
- Multitasking gestures for iPad. Maybe some new multitasking UI now that the iPad 2 has more horsepower.
- Lots of new developer stuff, small tweaks.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post overall. I think also iOS5 will have one feature that will catch us completely off gaurd. Something that is really cool, completely unexpected, but that isn't completely groundbreaking. Kind of like Airplay. That came out of no where, is very elegant and cool, yet it wasn't really a game changer and not everyone uses it.

I'm also hoping for an improved lockscreen with more info/widgets or something. But I'm not expecting anything, especially when the smart cover completely eliminates the lock screen.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Apple doesn't want to steal the thunder from the iPad launch by showing everyone the amazing new features that it's currently lacking.

last year Apple previewed iOS 4.0 just 3 days after the first iPad was officially released, but didnt release it for the iPad until 7 months later and it still managed to sell 15 million iPads in 2010.

Most recently, Apple released new MacBook Pros and just 1 week later announced the new iPad,

Apple does care about stealing their own thunder, they care about stealing the spotlight from its competitors.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
i'd say among with the new iphone. i hope they'll have some new notifications. thats it. i can't figure out anything I'm missing from the current ios

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL

(Just guessing.)

I was thinking because they didn't put too much resources into a hardware redesign that they expect to sell the iPhone 5 based on iOS5 features.

linoox

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
My guess is also April 6th or the 13th.

Last year they waited for the iOS 4 event until they had shipped the iPad internationally. So my guess is they want to wait this time as well to tout their insane numbers (3 Mio. iPads sold, Smart Cover sold for 80% of all iPad 2).

My predictions:

- Spotlight screen gets a major overhaul and notifications added
- Dynamic home screens (depending on time zone and time)
- Enhanced folders (as stacks or lists viewable like Dock in Mac OS)
- Folder icons
- Major overhaul of the Mail App (stars, flags, different fonts and styles)
- AirDrop for iOS & dedicated File App called Files
- iPhoto for iOS
- iWork for iOS

- New Multitasking API's (e.g. no complete sandboxed apps any more and enhanced communication between apps. Like the possibility to add a task to Things or Omnifocus through the Mail app - like it is now in Mac OS)
- Voice integration in every app
- SMS app gets competitive with WhatsApp and other similar apps with BBM like functionalities.
- Webkit 2 for Mobile Safari
- Possibility on the iPad to view two apps simultaneously in landscape mode (except video playback apps)

That's all I can think of right now:D

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Its to the point where I just feel sorry for the competitors.

iOS 5 has got thunder thief written all over it.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK

(Just guessing.)

I'd use the opposite logic: because there's no eye-catching hardware redesign, the software will see a more impressive overhaul.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
All I want is Dashboard and ability to split screen in half for working on two different apps simultaneously.
Yeah that would certainly be a great addition to the iPad, but would apps need to be designed to allow that functionality? It would switch the aspect ratio from 3:4 to 3:2. Black bars. Plus, thinking about it there are really only a few circumstances where this would really be needed.

my comments in bold
My predictions:

- Spotlight screen gets a major overhaul and notifications added great
- Dynamic home screens (depending on time zone and time) depending on time zone? Do you mean time of day? I doubt it. That would be useful for a very small minority. Are you wanting to have a "work" profile and a "home" profile each customizing your background, dock, apps, notifications, settings etc? Just ask for profiles, much easier.
- Enhanced folders (as stacks or lists viewable like Dock in Mac OS) not happening. The way it is works best for the big touchable screen. Plus Lion has adopted the EXACT same way
- Folder icons not happening for reason above
- Major overhaul of the Mail App (stars, flags, different fonts and styles)also not happening. Maybe an easy way to create tasks from email
- AirDrop for iOS & dedicated File App called Files yup. here's hoping
- iPhoto for iOS well the photo app for iPad certainly needs a large revamp. They won't create a new app, but they may possibly rename the current app
- iWork for iOS already exists.... Do you mean for the iPhone? I doubt it
- New Multitasking API's What you're describing isn't exactly multitasking. but I have been wanting to be able to navigate to TomTom straight from the Maps app since.. TomTom existed
- Voice integration in every app why
- SMS app gets competitive with WhatsApp and other similar apps with BBM like functionalities. iChat anyone?
- Webkit 2 for Mobile Safari K
- Possibility on the iPad to view two apps simultaneously in landscape mode (except video playback apps) aspect ratio issues

linoox

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
@ Mad Mac Maniac

Well, I agree that some of my ideas are crazy, but one can dream right;)?
Regarding your comments:

- Profiles is also a great idea, but not exactly what I had in mind. My idea for a dynamic home screen comes from several patent applications of Apple of last year where they patented ideas for an dynamic home screen including weather, time zone, etc. So it's not entirely my idea.

- I really think that the Mail app gets an overhaul. Last year we got threaded messaging and the All Inbox. The possibility to assign signatures to different accounts would be useful, as well as different font styles and flags. Why don't you think so? Just curious.

- Yeah renaming Photos to iPhoto would be a nice idea.
- Regarding iWork for iPhone, remember we saw some pictures on Apple's site for a few hours with exactly the option displayed to open a mail attachment in Pages. So maybe there's still some hope, but I agree that it's highly unlikely.

- I don't think we ever get iChat for iOS or even a new iChat for Mac OS Lion. The iChat team has been been broken up a long time ago according to some rumors. I don't know exactly where I read it, but maybe John Gruber mentioned it on his podcast The Talkshow.

Why not extend the functions of the SMS app? It's an app everyone uses and they don't have to add another app with functionality that could also exist in the messaging app and already exists in the phone app with Face Time.

- Simultaneous way to view apps on iPad: True, aspect ratio is a problem, but solvable. I mean developers get their fair share of time before iOS 5 will be released in June.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I just hope that the update hits all the hardware at once this time... it was frustrating seeing the iPhone 4 have multi tasking for so long while the iPad was left out in the cold.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
The event will be in early to mid April. They will have one big feature (like custom SMS tones lol) and many little features. It will be released to developers after the event for iPad,iPhone and iPod and released to the public with the relese of iPhone 5 in june.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
@ Mad Mac Maniac

Well, I agree that some of my ideas are crazy, but one can dream right;)?
Regarding your comments:

- Profiles is also a great idea, but not exactly what I had in mind. My idea for a dynamic home screen comes from several patent applications of Apple of last year where they patented ideas for an dynamic home screen including weather, time zone, etc. So it's not entirely my idea.
I don't get what your obsession is with time zones. How often do you go back and forth between different time zones? haha. And if I remember what you are referring to I believe that was location based. But I'm not really understanding what you are wanting to accomplish through these dynamic homescreens.

- I really think that the Mail app gets an overhaul. Last year we got threaded messaging and the All Inbox. The possibility to assign signatures to different accounts would be useful, as well as different font styles and flags. Why don't you think so? Just curious.
I just don't see something like adding different fonts as high on the priority list. Maybe iOS6 will be a lot more fluffy and elegance improvements, but I see a lot more hard hitting things on the agenda for iOS5. And stars? Thats not even on the Mac is it?

- I don't think we ever get iChat for iOS or even a new iChat for Mac OS Lion. The iChat team has been been broken up a long time ago according to some rumors. I don't know exactly where I read it, but maybe John Gruber mentioned it on his podcast The Talkshow.
Well they could rename the SMS app "iChat". Have you seen WebOS3.0? It has something like a SMS app on steriods, combining all your texts and IM functions into one app. I haven't been able to see exactly how well it works, but if Apple created an iChat app which handled text messages, "MobileMe Messages" (basically free texting between all mobileme devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and even Mac. Maybe even with some add functionality), AIM, FB chat, and all those other IM accounts that I'm too out of date about. Then just iChat to John Smith and it would automatically try to contact him with whatever priority list you established, or you could specify if you wanted a different one.

I just hope that the update hits all the hardware at once this time... it was frustrating seeing the iPhone 4 have multi tasking for so long while the iPad was left out in the cold.

I'm sure they will. Now that the paths have married. The reason for the delay last time was because the iOS4 devs didn't know of the iPad until we did. But now they have been crafting iOS5 hand-in-hand :)

alex252

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
New iphone release date?

Do u guys have any idea about the new iphone model? Is it 5S or Iphone 6?
I'm using iphone 4 that i bought on direct bargains. I'm planning to switch to new model. So waiting for its release date.

Can any one tell me if there is any news about the new model release date?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Do u guys have any idea about the new iphone model? Is it 5S or Iphone 6?
I'm using iphone 4 that i bought on direct bargains. I'm planning to switch to new model. So waiting for its release date.

Can any one tell me if there is any news about the new model release date?

There are tons of threads on this already. Maybe by searching in the correct forum and no bumping 2 year old threads on totally unrelated things, you will find your answers. There is an iOS 7 and News forum on this site. Try reading there first.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"Major overhaul of the Mail App (stars, flags, different fonts and styles)"

WOW...along with more social media integration...this should make for yet another strong relesse from Apple.

the requests to further dumb-down the iOS continue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.