Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CGGuy84

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
A few months ago I managed to install Windows 7 on my MacBook from the ISO using VMware. I recently got a uMBP and tried the same method but couldn't get past the stage where I use rawdiskcreator to recognise the physical partition.

I have finally managed to get Windows 7 installed from a USB flash drive last night when I tried formatting the drive and copying over the files using cmd.exe on the Windows 7 ISO in VMware. Please note that this is the first time I have actually got this to work and I needed to use rEFIt to boot from the flash drive.

1. Partition your HD using Boot Camp. Quit the application when you get to the step where you're asked to insert your Windows installation disk.
  2. In VMware, create a new vm using the Windows 7 ISO as an installation disk image.
  3. Once the ISO is booted access cmd.exe via the repair options. If you haven't already done so plug in your flash drive and mount it on the vm.
  4. Now to use diskpart to format the flash drive. Type the following into cmd.
    Code:
    diskpart
    Then..
    Code:
    list disk
    You'll get a table of recognised drives. Then we need to select the flash drive..
    Code:
    select disk #
    # being the disk number of your flash drive in the printed table.
    Code:
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    I have not tried this with FAT32, so can't say if it will work. Once the formatting is done you need to assign a drive letter and you're done with diskpart..
    Code:
    assign
    exit
  5. Now you need to copy the contents of the ISO to the drive. I used..
    Code:
    xcopy D:\ E:\ /E
    The /E flag copies the directories as well as files, so just replace the drive letters. The first drive letter is the source(Windows 7 disc) and the second is the destination(USB flash).
  6. And finally, make the drive bootable. Navigate to the flash drive you copied the files to and then the 'Boot' directory.
    Code:
    E:\
    cd Boot
    Then to make the device bootable.
    Code:
    Bootsect.exe /nt60 D:
    Again, replacing the drive letters to your own. I encountered an error during this step but was still able to boot from the drive using rEFIt. I'd think you would be able to boot from a flash drive without rEFIt if you managed to get past the last step with no errors. This may also be possible using an SD card on the MBP but I've yet to try it.

I've tried this one but i still get the "non-system disk" error. I tried to format the Boot camp partition in ntfs and copied the content of the Win7.iso to the partition. Somehow it worked and loaded the installer but this time i've got the missing installer files error.

I think something went wrong by the last step by "bootsect.exe" thing...

CGGuy84

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Well,
I found a very simple solution! I'll share it in case someone will need it!

- I converted the windows.iso file with "disk utility" to compressed dmg file.
- Restored the dmg file to the USB with the "disk utility"
- Removed and recreated the Boot Camp partition
- booted the with refit and it worked perfectly without any of the problems I experienced before.

mknabster

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I was thinking about doing the same thing, installing Windows 7 via USB because my Superdrive has died in my machine, and all I have is an external USB drive. Now I know that an external USB CD/DVD drive doesn't allow me to install Windows, but what about using a virtual machine like Vmware fusion to install it, would that be an option? I was thinking of just completely taking out the superdrive and putting in another hard drive in its spot, so I was wondering about installing Windows 7 on this drive and how to do it.

Veyo

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I finally managed to get this work with my mid 2009 MBP with optibay. I tried a lot of methods and what finally worked for me was this guide:

http://www.tokyobit.com/2010/01/install-windows-7-in-bootcamp-on-macbook-pro-with-broken-superdrive/

It basically follows these steps:

1) Use bootcamp to partition your HDD
2) Install Windows 7 into the bootcamp partition using parallels, abort installation halfway before restart
3) Update the physical MBR of that partition with that of the VM
-> Problem here: You'll need a bootable OSX, from an external drive for example
4) Finish installation of windows by natively booting into the bootcamp partition

The steps are described very detailed in the guide but I have a suggestion for those trying to do this:

Getting the rEFIt bootmanager will safe you a lot of time^^

Hope this helps someone.

bchuertas

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
BUMP!

whenever i'm loading the thumb drive the emulated BIOS says "no bootable device found"

I was getting the same thing. This is on a new 2011 MBP 8.3

I tried several guides to install from either a USB Thumbdrive or DVD with no avail. So I gave up on any USB method.

At the end I followed the guides to install using a VM machine and it worked like a charm. I was running Windows 7 in 10 minutes.

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

Cheers

Harrynelson

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
I am installed windows 7 on my PC through USB Pendrive.I am sure that it will also work on macbook.There just need to boot laptop from USB and follow the instruction.Because Only Windows OS are able to install on every system in the world.Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am installed windows 7 on my PC through USB Pendrive.I am sure that it will also work on macbook.There just need to boot laptop from USB and follow the instruction.Because Only Windows OS are able to install on every system in the world.Thanks

Not so. Read this and other threads on the subject.

Pendrives that work fine for installing Windows to other computers do not necessarily work on Macs. In some cases they may natively, in others rEFIt helps and in still others it remains invisible to the boot loader.

None of my Macs are capable of booting from the USB flash drive I installed W7 from on my PC using the standard boot loader. I have not tried them with rEFIt.

This has a lot to do with the fact that Macs are EFI not BIOS based and as such, the boot process is quite different than a "standard" PC.

It could certainly work on some specific Macs under certain conditions, but is not guaranteed to.

B

golgo1313

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Claremont, CA
so i have a 2011 MBP with optidrive, so i don't have a superdrive installed anymore. i've followed instructions on making USB bootable with win7 (64bit) installer on it. i did not do the bootsect /net60 yet.

the usb worked like a charm installing win7 on a sony vaio.

the usb will not bootup in refit. i see three options, bootsect.exe, memtest.exe, and windows. i chose windows. then i get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

i then tried "bootsect.exe /nt60 e: /force" and that won't work... i get "could not map drive partitions to the associated volume device objects: access is denied"

e is my usb drive letter.

any thoughts? i don't want to do the parallels/vmware method if i can help it, but if there are no ideas as to booting off of USB in the 2011 mbp, then i might have to resort to it.

thanks!

***figured the bootsect thing out... needed to run cmd as administrator.

but,

it still won't install... getting the "no bootable device"

Last edited:

maxgohan

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
anyone figure this out??

i have the windows 7.iso on my PC, just need to figure out how to install it on my MBP via flash drive...

halp

golgo1313

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Claremont, CA
anyone figure this out??

i have the windows 7.iso on my PC, just need to figure out how to install it on my MBP via flash drive...

halp

sadly, i think it is not possible on the 2011 mbp. there are people who were successful with older machines (e.g. 2008s). i tried, but it was a no go. i'm actually thinking of putting the superdrive back in...

Last edited:

mac.fly

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
UK
Well,
I found a very simple solution! I'll share it in case someone will need it!

- I converted the windows.iso file with "disk utility" to compressed dmg file.
- Restored the dmg file to the USB with the "disk utility"
- Removed and recreated the Boot Camp partition
- booted the with refit and it worked perfectly without any of the problems I experienced before.

When I try to restore to my USB flash drive using "disk utility"
I get this error message:

"Restore Failure - Could not validate source - Invalid argument [OK]"

Erased the USB and tried it again:

"Restore Failure - Could not validate source - error 254 [OK]"

What's wrong here? :confused: Thanks!

P0CKS

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Does having your usb set in NTFS mode, while your bootcamp partition in fat 32 be responsible for getting the "no bootable device" error? I want to avoid using parallels and virtual machines if possible, I have an early 2008 MBP, I know a few got Windows 7 to work, but the answers are all over the place. Ill try piecing the info together, and hopefully finally get Win 7

mac.fly

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
UK
Does having your usb set in NTFS mode, while your bootcamp partition in fat 32 be responsible for getting the "no bootable device" error? I want to avoid using parallels and virtual machines if possible, I have an early 2008 MBP, I know a few got Windows 7 to work, but the answers are all over the place. Ill try piecing the info together, and hopefully finally get Win 7

Called Apple Support and they told me that the installation from ext. DVD drive does only work on iMacs with very few certain drives - never with USB flash drives. I tried all - nothing worked.

Then I downloaded Parallels 6 trial and used the following Sources:

http://www.tokyobit.com/2010/01/install-windows-7-in-bootcamp-on-macbook-pro-with-broken-superdrive/ Windows 7 in bootcamp on MacBook Pro with broken superdrive (based on insidethebrackets...)

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15195201 How I managed to Bootcamp my Imac without internal CD

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html ORIGINAL IDEA - Remote Disc computer IS NOT REQUIRED!!! even on an mac book air the OS X install disk can be copied to an USB flash drive TOO! (from discussion)

It's all a bit confusing because they used different versions of Parallels, but finally I managed it. :D

In the end buy "Find any file" (£2.39) from the App store to get rid of all "Parallels" stuff which remained on the HDD after uninstalling Parallels.

P0CKS

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
This guide helped me come to this this http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html . I don't know if it's to late for that but here is what i did. I have pre unibody macbook pro early 2008 version with out superdrive. For this guide you do not need a usb! What you need: rEFIt (to be installed and working every time you boot), a Windows 7 iso and Parallels Desktop 5 (this is what i used).
1)So star by making a bootcamp partition (if you haven't already).
2)When bootcamp askes you to start instaling windows quit it.
3)Go to Disk Utility and unmount the bootcamp partition! If you don't parallels may start bitching.
4)Start Parallels 5 and create a new virtual machine
5)In first window push "Skip Detection"
6)Select witch windows you wont to install
7)Virtual machine type: Custom
8)CPU and RAM default
9)Hard Disk Option: No hard disk
10)And start, a window should appear prompting you to push start to install
windows. Don't do that yet!
11)In the lower right corner of the windows installation window there is a button "virtual machine configuration", push it.
12)There you will have 3 options. Go to "Hardware" option.
13)Select "CD/DVD-ROM" and from a drop down menu select the windows 7 iso
14)Then push "+" and add Hard Disk. From the drop down menu select
bootcamp
15)Go to Boot Order and be sure that the order is like this "1)CD/DVD-ROM,2)Hard-Disk,3)Floppy,4)Network Adapter"
16)Push ok and start installing windows 7
17) Watch closely when the installation prompts you to restart the first time STOP! the virtual machine and quit parallels.
18) Now comes rEFIt in.
19)Restart your Mac. And when it boots to rEFIt you will see that the windows partition is there. Enter it. The windows 7 will start re configuring stuff. And will continue to install windows normal. After it's done.
20) After you installed the bootcamp 3 drivers got to nvidia page and
download the latest video card drivers for your mac. Coz bootcamp has old
ones. Well that's all. Hope this guide will help some.

thanks mac.fly :)
But im confused with the whole mbr thing @.@ im really afraid to try it, Utamaru didn't mention it on his post, so is it possible to not have to go through the process of setting up the mbr? Though it's probably just wishfull thinking, ahh been at this for days im close to being tempted into saving up for a superdrive....which ill only use for this..ugh

mac.fly

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
UK
thanks mac.fly :)
But im confused with the whole mbr thing @.@ im really afraid to try it, Utamaru didn't mention it on his post, so is it possible to not have to go through the process of setting up the mbr? Though it's probably just wishfull thinking, ahh been at this for days im close to being tempted into saving up for a superdrive....which ill only use for this..ugh

I was also afraid, but there's no risk if you have a backup (better two backups). ;)

P0CKS

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Ooo

I used time machine to back up all of my hardrive into an external, is that good, or should I back it up with a different program? Im worried because i have a lot of programs from photoshop to zbrush some whos cds i dont know where they are anymore :[ just dont want another giant set of problems to deal with =_=

Think before I try this method ill try funkymunkys, my mbp is pre unibody (early 2008) and ive been formatting my usb to ntfs instead of fat32, hoping that will make the difference, but im running short on time, need this done in two days hopefully i can pull through !!!

mac.fly

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
UK
I used time machine to back up all of my hardrive into an external, is that good, or should I back it up with a different program?

I'm using a RAID 1 drive with TimeMachine. I wouldn't rely on just one backup.

P0CKS

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Oo, i only have my lacie hardrive, should i make a new partition, and back up with time machine again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.